Wednesday, March 31, 2010

So, what's going on here?

Well, I'm a Japanese-English translator. I've been studying the language for ten years, and translating professionally for six. If you play video games, you may have been a beneficiary of my work. I've done translations for instruction manuals, strategy guides, game scripts and even anime, working with companies from DoubleJump and BradyGames to Bandai, Sony, and Square-Enix.

When it comes to translation, though, my greatest love will always be music. I think there is a special art to translating a song that is often overlooked. Music is poetry; if you just focus on the literal words, the real meaning will usually get lost in translation. This is even more true when you're going between two languages as different from each other as Japanese and English.

I also know that when looking for a translation of a song that you like, it can be a bit of a gamble. Maybe you'll get lucky, and find a translation done by a passionate fan who really knows their stuff. But it's just as likely that you'll find a translation done by a Japanese 101 student cobbling phrases together with a dictionary and a prayer... if you find anything at all.

So, the purpose of this blog is twofold:

First, I'll be posting the song translations that I do in my spare time. These translations are 100% free for you to read, reprint, and use for whatever purpose you like, as long as you give credit where it's due.

Second, I'll be providing a low-cost translation commission service through the blog. I'll be focusing on song translations at first, but I may expand to other areas in the future if there's sufficient interest. For now, song translations will run $5 apiece.

And... well, that's pretty much it. I'll be posting some translations, as well as information about how to make requests, in the days to come. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Tehkou-sama,

    We at SkewedS Subs-Scans would like to ask permission for using your translations of the show, Daimajin Kanon for fansubbing (hardsubbing to be specific). As you requested in this post, you will be fully credited and your site will also be credited in the subs themselves.

    Our site is http://subs-scans.skewedstudios.com/ and our group email is subsscans[dot]skewedstudios[at]gmail[dot]com.

    We humbly thank you for your hardwork for this. I, zeldAIS, have to admit, I'm a big fan of music that's why I also want Daimajin Kanon to be subbed to have more viewers and fans alike for this great show - though for the show to be a tokusatsu is a plus ^_^

    Hope to hear more good things from your great blog.

    Yoroshiku onegaiitashimasu *bows deeply*

    Ais aka zeldAIS
    SkewedS Subs-Scans coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tehkou, I just wanted to ask: are there any projects you're doing/want to do, that you might want/need a timer/editor for? If so, I'd really like to help out, if thats possible :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anon,

      At the moment, pretty much all of the projects I'm capable of dealing with are already planned out. :) That said, some of the groups that release my scripts may in fact need help! You should contact them directly and see, if you haven't already done so.

      Best of luck!

      Delete
  3. Hey Tehkou, just want to ask: how much would it cost me to request for you to translate two small vids for me?

    ReplyDelete