Thursday, April 1, 2010

Translation: Ambitious Japan (Tokio)

This single was written as a cross-promotion between the band Tokio and JR Tokai, a major Japanese railway company. I heard it on my first trip to Japan, right after I graduated in early 2004 -- I think I may still have the shinkansen time schedule that features the band all dressed up as train operators. If you haven't seen it, it is fantastic

But anyway, that cross-promotion is the reason the song is all about the train/journey metaphors. I can't really complain; Japan's rail system is so good that it kind of deserves to have hero ballads written about it. If you haven't heard the song, check out this PV on YouTube. (Also featured: lots of glorious footage of Japanese trains. Surprise!)

My translation sits below the cut.

Song Title: Ambitious Japan
Artist: Tokio
Album: Ambitious Japan (Single)

tatoete ieba RONGU TOREIN
kazekiri saite hashiru you ni
mirai ni mukatte masshigura
tsukisusumeba nozomi ha kanau
tachidomaranai furikaeranai
yarubeki koto wo yaru dake sa


Like a long train
Rending the air as it passes
I'm heading for the future at full speed
My wishes will come true if I just press on
So I won't stop, won't look back
I'll just keep doing what needs to be done

aitakute aitakute
tamaranai kara tabi ni deta
aitai hito ha kimi dakedo
kimi nanda kedo sore dake ja nai


Wanting to find you, wanting to find you
Unable to bear it, I started my journey
But though you're the one I want to find,
This journey's not just about you

shiranai machi de
deaitai hontou no jibun wo
(I get a true love)


In unfamiliar towns
I want to meet my true self!

Be ambitious! waga tomo yo boukensha yo
Be ambitious! tabidatsu hito yo
yuusha de are Be ambitious!


Be ambitious, my dear friends, adventurers!
Be ambitious, my fellow travellers!
Be warriors! Be ambitious!

tatoete ieba RONGU TOREIN
yoru wo tsuranuki hashiru you ni
hikari ni mukatte masshigura
tsukisusumeba kiseki mo okiru
tachidomaranai furikaeranai
yarubeki koto wo yaru dake sa


Like a long train
Piercing the night as it passes
I'm heading for the light at full speed
Miracles will happen if I just press on
So I won't stop, won't look back
I'll just keep doing what needs to be done

dakitakute dakitakute
tamaranai kara tabi ni deta
dakitai hito ha kimi dakedo
kimi nanda kedo sore dake ja nai


Wanting to hold you, wanting to hold you
Unable to bear it, I started my journey
But though you're the one I want to hold,
This journey's not just about you

ryoute wo hiroge
dakishimetai kagayaki yoake wo
(I get a true love)


With both hands outstretched,
I want to hold the shining dawn!

Be ambitious! waga tomo yo boukensha yo
Be ambitious! tabidatsu hitori
eikou are


Be ambitious, my dear friends, adventurers!
Be ambitious, lone travellers!
Find glory!

Be ambitious! waga tomo yo boukensha yo
Be ambitious! tabidatsu hitori
yuusha de are


Be ambitious, my dear friends, adventurers!
Be ambitious, lone travellers!
Be warriors!

(I get a true love)

Be ambitious! waga tomo yo boukensha yo
Be ambitious! tabidatsu hito yo
eikou are Be ambitious!


Be ambitious, my dear friends, adventurers!
Be ambitious, fellow travellers!
Find glory! Be ambitious!

1 comment:

  1. hello!
    I would like to know, may I use your translation of this song to translate it on russian?

    ReplyDelete