Sunday, April 11, 2010

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 1

Well, two weeks in and I'm already straying from my blog's initial mission statement of song translations only. Here is the script for episode 1 of Daimajin Kanon, which I did because, I guess, I felt like it.

... but it's a series about music! So it counts!

For those who don't know, Daimajin Kanon is a new tokusatsu series based on the 1960s Daimajin trilogy. The original trilogy was set in feudal Japan, and featured a huge stone giant who would come to life to fight the sort of evil oppressor types who lived back then. The first two movies were released subbed by ADV in the early 2000s. I've only watched the first, but I heartily recommend it.

Daimajin Kanon is a TV series by Kadokawa Shoten and set in modern times. It also reunites much of the production staff that worked on Kamen Riders Kuuga and Hibiki. I found the first episode really interesting -- it's like Kamen Rider Hibiki without the headache-inducing style of direction -- but it's fairly dark and talky, so I'm posting the script in hopes of spreading interest about the series among English-speaking fans.

(Please note that until singles for the series are released, I have no definite lyrics available for the songs. I've tried my best to translate them by ear, but such a thing is always a doubtful proposition.)

Anyway, enjoy!

4/12/2010 Edit: Added second part of "To The Top" lyrics and changed both instances of "Great Soldier" to "Bujin" (it appears to be his proper name).

11/06/2010 Edit: The name of the criminal is Kento, not Yoshihito. Stop having such ambiguous names, Japan!

4/2/1011 Edit: Altered a few minor lines based on having watched the full series.


Daimajin Kanon
Episode 1 script

0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who lost her way in the city, and then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

[Opening song]
Someone hurts you
With heartless words
Makes you wanna give up
There's no more kindness
Someone will use that to trap you
You must find yourself and fight them
Got to live your life
Believin' in these evil times
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
A song that reflects who you are
Don't hide your kindness
Let us hear it!
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
Pushing the sadness from your heart
Takes true strength
Forces harmonize
Stand by your side
Just sing your heart out


TITLE: Episode 1: Distant Song

[Prayer song]
When the sound of the bell
Rings through the village
All the birds, together,
Fly back to the mountain

No one wants to be all alone
The sound of a song--


0:04:05
KANON: Rain again...

NARRATION: Misaki Kanon. She entered Tokyo University with the dream of becoming a singer, and began dating a friend of hers. Now heartbroken from the affair, she is to be dragged under by waves of destiny beyond her comprehension.

0:05:00
NEWSCASTER: ... law enforcement will be increasing patrols, with the help of regional crime-prevention agencies. And now, our next story. A man convicted in 2002 for the murder of his parents, his housekeeper, and five others, was executed yesterday.

CAPTION: Murderer of family of five executed
CAPTION: The executed man, Saiki Kento (29)

NEWSCASTER: At the hour of his execution, the prisoner Saiki's last words were, "You can't kill me yet. I need to kill more people. Anyone will do."

CHEF: What a jerk!

NEWSCASTER: ... the incident sent shockwaves through the community. In their decision, the Supreme Court stated that it was "A brutal act, completely devoid of humanity."

CHEF: Who kills their own parents? They take the time to raise you, and you just kill them... breaks your heart, doesn't it?

KOTARO: I couldn't say.

00:06:05
CAPTION: One Month Later

JYUZO: Hey, Taihei! Buchinko's callin'.

JYUZO: I keep tellin' you, that's just an old rock!

TAIHEI: Wasn't it you said it's the great Bujin, who killed a bunch of demons, Jyuzo?

JYUZO: I just said that was one story about it!

TAIHEI: It's still a good story.

0:07:14
JYUZO: We're counting on you!

TAIHEI: Roger that!

0:07:44
KANON: Good morning.

KANON: It's been a month since we broke up.

KANON: I moved from my old place to a cheaper apartment in Chofu.

FROM: My brother
SUBJECT: No title

KANON: "Congratulations on the move! I hope your make lots of new friends in your new city!"

KANON: "But uh, I don't necessarily mean boyfriends."

KANON: You don't have to tell me twice...

KANON: After all, finding a nice man is harder than you'd think. Right?

0:09:33
TAIHEI: Hey!

DRIVER: Woah!

TAIHEI: I think you dropped this! Throw it away properly!

TAIHEI: Empty cans belong in the trash can! You know?

TAIHEI: Hey!

TAIHEI: This guy!

0:10:28
KANON: I went out into the city again, today. I'd just get depressed if I stayed in my room.

KANON: Tokyo has really given me a lot.

KANON: ... but it's taken a lot in exchange.

[To the Top]
The sound of the rain
Makes the town cry
But I just need an umbrella
To keep me from crying...
Standing alone on the stage
I've got another chance
And I'm going straight to the top...


KANON: I hate this song.

KANON: Why does this have to happen to me?

0:11:35
WOMAN: Oh no!

WOMAN: Thank you, I'm so sorry...

WOMAN: I'm sorry!

MAN: It's okay...

0:12:13
TAXI DRIVER: Hey, lady... are you sure this is the place?

IKECHIYO: Yeah, I promised I'd meet someone here.

TAXI DRIVER: Well, if he doesn't show up... I'll take you where you need to go.

IKECHIYO: I'm sure you would.

TAXI DRIVER: My service is non-stop...

IKECHIYO: Sorry, I'm done traveling.

TAIHEI: Hey!

IKECHIYO: You're late!

TAIHEI: Sorry, had an unexpected delay.

IKECHIYO: Buchinko!

0:13:28
HASHITAKA: I just heard! Ikechiyo's coming by, and she's bringing Taihei.

SAWAMORI: Taihei?

TOMOSUKE: It appears Jyuzo has a secret mission for him.

SAWAMORI: Secret mission?

TOMOSUKE: It looks like the whole brain trust is gathering here in Tokyo.

SAWAMORI: Brain trust? But we can't meet up until we deal with that Ipadada.

0:13:53
IKECHIYO: I never thought we'd meet in Tokyo again, Taihei.

TAIHEI: Hey, thanks!

IKECHIYO: So, what's the mission?

TAIHEI: Wanna hear?

IKECHIYO: I sure do.

TAIHEI: But old Jyuzo made me promise not to tell...

IKECHIYO: The Prayer Song?

TAIHEI: Hey you, quit spilling the beans!

IKECHIYO: What does this mean? You're searching for a Songstress for the Prayer Song?

TAIHEI: You have to promise not to tell anyone.

IKECHIYO: You know I won't tell.

TAIHEI: Jyuzo told me...

JYUZO: Got it? We need the girl in Tokyo. She'll be useful in the fight against the Ipadada.

IKECHIYO: So, your mission is to find that girl, right?

TAIHEI: You got it.

IKECHIYO: How do you plan to do that?

TAIHEI: The truth is, I met her once, in the village by the mountain. She was just a tiny little thing, but...

[Prayer song]
When the sound of the bell
Rings through the village
All the birds, together
Fly back to the mountain


TAIHEI: The Prayer Song was the first song she ever learned.

TAIHEI: She looked so happy singing it.

TAIHEI: I'd recognize that voice anywhere.

IKECHIYO: How old would the girl be now?

TAIHEI: Around 20, I guess.

IKECHIYO: She must be quite grown up now.

TAIHEI: Yeah. I hope she's doing well.

0:16:18
KANON: I can't trust people the way I used to. Now I sort of feel like I'm mourning for the person I used to be...

KANON: My dad wanted me to move back home, but part of me still can't give up on my dream. Also... I feel like there's still something for me here in Tokyo.

0:17:19
IPADADA: The rage within you reflects my own. Shall we go out and kill, together?

0:18:05
IKECHIYO: Idiot, you passed our exit!

0:18:22
DRIVER: That stupid biker...

0:18:40
KANON: Eh? What's a ramen shop doing here?

KANON: Maybe I'll try it out.

SIGN: Chinese-Style Soba

0:18:58
HASHITAKA: Tomosuke, how is it?

TOMOSUKE: Hmm...

SAWAMORI: There must be a lot of potential Hosts in this city...

0:19:32
HASHITAKA: Was that a scream?!

OTAKI: Thanks for waiting.

KANON: Thank you.

KANON: I humbly accept this food.

KANON: Tastes like home...

OTAKI: Dangerous times...

0:20:45
SAWAMORI: An Ipadada?!

IPADADA: Do not get in my way.

SAWAMORI: Help the girl!

0:22:35
TAIHEI: Here we are!

IKECHIYO: I hope Jyuzo told them you were coming.

TAIHEI: Don't worry about it.

TAIHEI: ... ah!

[Ending Theme]
Hey, why don't you show your real feelings?
Outside the window, the rain is falling
The town seems like it's carved from ice
So cold you'd freeze just from touching it
Closing your eyes, you pray for some kindness
Are you waiting for blue skies like the ones in your dream?
Tomorrow, that's what you'll see


0:24:19
NARRATOR: Kotaro's song brings pain to Kanon's heart, and an Ipadada sets a trap for our warriors. Then, the Great Bujin appears...

TITLE: Episode 2: His Sound

1 comment:

  1. I just might take a crack at subbing this. Probably pretty no frills, if only because I don't know how to make frills.

    ReplyDelete