Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 2

It's surprising to me that, in a show where half the cast occasionally lapses into Yamagata Dialect, the hardest lines to translate are the ones spoken by the native Tokyonite band. Saki, slow down! Shinya, open your mouth when you talk!

Song lyrics are still really tentative. Once the singles are released and proper kanji starts going up, I'm surely going to be slapping my forehead over a couple of misinterpretations.

Other than that, please enjoy episode 2!

EDIT: 5/28/10: V. belatedly corrected Otaki's line at 0:11:56 about "working together to fight the Ipadada"... apparently, it was a reference to Kazahana?

4/28/10: Corrected Taihei's line beginning with "Jyuzo told me to find the girl..."

4/28/10: Corrected "a kazahana!" to "Kazahana!", as she appears to be a character with a proper name. (Thanks for putting that info on the site, Kadokawa.)

4/2/11: Changed a few lines.



0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who lost her way in the city, and then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

[Opening song]
Someone hurts you
With heartless words
Makes you wanna give up
There's no more kindness
Someone will use that to trap you
You must find yourself and fight them
Got to live your life
Believin' in these evil times
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
A song that reflects you
Don't hide your kindness
Let us hear it!
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
Pushing the sadness from your heart
Takes true strength
Forces harmonize
Stand by your side
Just sing your heart out

Episode 2: His Sound

NARRATOR: Misaki Kanon, who once dreamed of becoming a singer, is for some reason tormented by the song written by her former lover, Kotaro.

NARRATOR: Meanwhile, in a corner of the city, a demon and a mysterious warrior battled each other.

NARRATOR: In addition, a mysterious man has come from Yamagata Province, searching for Kanon.

Episode 2: His Sound

TAIHEI: 'scuse me!

OTAKI: Quiet down out here! Get in already!

TAIHEI: Coming!

IKECHIYO: Pardon us, good evening.

KANON: Thank you for the meal. It was delicious.

0:03:00
SAWAMORI: Try it.

0:03:13
OTAKI: Well? I called Ikechi here myself, but what are you doing in Tokyo, boy?

TAIHEI: Whaddya mean? Didn't Jyuzo tell you about it?

OTAKI: I don't remember him sayin' a thing about you.

TAIHEI: What? Grandma, you're just pullin' my leg.

OTAKI: 'scuse me?

TAIHEI: He must've told you I was comin'. I'm here on a real important mission!

OTAKI: And what mission's that?

TAIHEI: As it happens, I can't say.

IKECHIYO: Posturing as always.

IKECHIYO: Now, Otaki, have you been getting a lot of young women in here lately?

OTAKI: Nah, just that one girl. But she said my ramen tasted like home. Even said she was from Yamagata, too.

TAIHEI: Of course. Then that girl really was...

HASHITAKA: Otaki!

TAIHEI: Hey!

HASHITAKA: Ah! Taihei! Come quick!

0:05:37
SAWAMORI: Taihei?

TAIHEI: Hey, hurry up!

0:05:59
HASHITAKA: Tomosuke!

TAIHEI: An Ipadada?

0:06:14
BOY: You think Taihei will find that girl?

JYUZO: No idea.

BOY: I'm gonna sing that song Taihei taught me. I really like it.

[Prayer song]
When the sound of the bell
Rings through the village
All the birds, together,
Fly back to the mountain


NARRATOR: Jyuzo thought back on the events of that night, long ago...

NARRATOR: That night, an evil spirit "Ipadada" grew to touch the heavens, and smothered their small castle town in waves of terror.

NARRATOR: But one maiden stayed behind, and sang the Prayer Song to summon the great warrior, Bujin.

0:08:43
NARRATOR: In the end, Bujin was returned to his long slumber.

0:08:52
KANON: It's been a month since we broke up. Since then, I've been so afraid to meet new people.

KANON: I still don't want to, but I really need this job...

MANAGER: So I see you have experience as a server?

KANON: I do.

MANAGER: So you'd be able to start immediately, then?

KANON: I think so.

MANAGER: That's great. To tell you the truth, I only just took over the shop. I've been hoping to find someone experienced who I can rely on.

KANON: Of... course.

0:10:11
KOTARO: You could've called.

SAKI: I tried! You didn't pick up at all last night, I thought maybe you got hurt or something...

SAKI: Where were you all night?

KOTARO: I... guess I was here.

SHINYA: So why didn't you pick up? They changed the time for the gig. Did you get my messages?

KOTARO: I've been asleep until just now.

SHINYA: Just sleeping the whole time?

SAKI: Now we have to be there at three.

KOTARO: Just let me get a shower in.

0:11:56
OTAKI: Damn that Ipadada... he sounds like one tough opponent.

SAWAMORI: I'm sorry, ma'am.

OTAKI: You've got eyes in the sky now. Combine everyone's strength to defeat the Ipadada.

OTAKI: Now, then... Taihei?

TAIHEI: Yeah? What is it?

OTAKI: I don't know what Jyuzo's got you mixed up in, but can't imagine any mission from that potty-mouthed, drunken old pervert being very important at all.

OTAKI: So you'd better not make any trouble for Sawamori and the others.

TAIHEI: But I told you, it's important!

TOMOSUKE: I'm back!

TAIHEI: Welcome back!

TAIHEI: I want you to pick up the scent on this chair.

TAIHEI: C'mon, do it! Hurry!

TOMOSUKE: 'kay...

TAIHEI: Got it?

TOMOSUKE: Got it!

TAIHEI: Sweet!

0:13:08
TOMOSUKE: The scent's stronger here!

TAIHEI: I knew you could do it! Good boy, Tomosuke.

TOMOSUKE: But Taihei, why am I following this scent?

TAIHEI: What, you wanna know?

TOMOSUKE: Yes!

TOMOSUKE: Because you know THE SCENT WE'RE CHASING IS THE SCENT OF A WOMAN.

TAIHEI: Forgive him! He's always like this!

TAIHEI: You idiot! What're you doing yellin' out like that...

TOMOSUKE: 'cause I knew you weren't gonna tell me...

TAIHEI: That's because it's a very important secret mission.

TOMOSUKE: Secret?

TAIHEI: Yup.

TAIHEI: Jyuzo told me to find the girl who has this scent. We're going to need her to beat the Ipadada.

TOMOSUKE: And that's the secret?

TAIHEI: Yep. That's the secret.

TOMOSUKE: Are you sure you were supposed to tell me that?

0:14:05
KANON: Now that I have a part-time job lined up, I feel like things might start going my way.

0:14:35
TELLER: Thank you for your business.

IKKI: 'sup.

SAKI: Do you know each other?

SHINYA: Yeah... this is Saki. She's the new lead vocals for 0°C.

SAKI: Pleased to meet you.

KANON: I'm Misaki.

IKKI: She was our old singer.

SAKI: What? Oh, I see! I'm so thrilled to meet my predecessor. Have you heard "To The Top" yet?

SAKI: Oh, that's right! We're having a concert tonight, why don't you come? How about it?

KANON: No... thank you. I'm... busy.

0:15:50
TAIHEI: This is the place?

TOMOSUKE: It's definitely the place.

TAIHEI: Here we go...

TOMOSUKE: She must not be in right now.

TAIHEI: Aw, man...

IKECHIYO: Excuse me.

TAIHEI: How'd you get here?

TAIHEI: Ah, Kazahana!

IKECHIYO: You know it.

TAIHEI: Get outta here!

IKECHIYO: Otaki's not happy about this.

TOMOSUKE: Sorry.

TAIHEI: Sorry!

IKECHIYO: You shouldn't be loitering in a place like this.

TAIHEI: It's not like we're at a gas station.

TOMOSUKE: That stinks.

TAIHEI: I have to stay here, it's part of my mission.

IKECHIYO: Then you can stay, but I'm taking Tomosuke.

TAIHEI: As you wish!

TOMOSUKE: But I was having fun! Wait!

0:17:05
KOTARO: You're late.

SAKI: Sorry. We had to stop by the store.

SAKI: By the way, we met a girl named Misaki while we were there.

KOTARO: Kanon?

SAKI: She seemed like a really nice girl.

0:17:52
KANON: I should never let myself think things are going my way.

0:18:15
GIRL: Sorry I'm late!

0:18:40
KANON: I was such an idiot...

0:19:00
GRANDMA: Time to get going, Shizu.

SHIZU: Okay!

GRANDMA: Put them all back in...

GRANDMA: Did you have fun?

0:20:14
TAIHEI: We meet again.

KANON: Why do you know that song?

TAIHEI: Huh?

KANON: That song.

TAIHEI: If you can believe it, you sang it for me once before.

TAIHEI: I still sing it all the time.

TAIHEI: It's a great song, anyone can sing it.

KANON: You're wrong!

[To The Top]
The sound of the rain
Makes the town cry
But I just need an umbrella
To keep me from crying...
Standing alone on the stage
I've got another chance
And I'm going straight to the top...


TAIHEI: But it's such a great song...

KANON: How would you know about it?

0:21:20
TAIHEI: I'm back...

OTAKI: Welcome back.

IKECHIYO: Welcome back.

TOMOSUKE: Welcome back!

TOMOSUKE: So, did you meet the girl?

TAIHEI: Huh? Yeah...

IKECHIYO: You're sure she's the one you were looking for?

TAIHEI: No clue.

TAIHEI: Buchinko's gonna take it from here...

0:22:24
KANON: What if I never get it back...? My beautiful... Prayer Song...

NARRATION: Kanon suffers, knowing that the Prayer Song that once soothed her heart has been transformed into the hit song "To The Top."

NARRATION: A part of her has begun to realize that if she cannot take it back, she may lose herself entirely...

[Ending Theme]
Hey, why don't you show your real feelings?
Outside the window, the rain is falling
The town seems like it's carved from ice
So cold you'd freeze just from touching it
Closing your eyes, you pray for some kindness
Are you waiting for blue skies like the ones in your dream?
Tomorrow, that's what you'll see

0:24:17
NARRATION: Something has Kanon in tears at her job, and Taihei revisits his memories of Kanon. Just then, 0°C...

NARRATION: Next episode: "Small Warmth."

Episode 3: Small Warmth

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are seriously awesome for doing this, now I can get more people to watch this great show.

    Thank you very very much!

    ReplyDelete