Thursday, April 8, 2010

Translation: Hysteric Psychadelic Infinity (The Alfee)

The Alfee is a band as old as the hills, and yet, they're not very well known among western fandom. I attribute this partly to their age, partly their retro sound, and mostly to the fact that the anime they've done music for -- Touch, Salaryman Kintaro, Doraemon -- don't exactly make huge waves on this side of the ocean. The closest they've had to a breakout hit is the Donald Duck song on Disney DDR.

Nevertheless, I love them. I love their classic sound, I love their devotion to Simon & Garfunkle, I love their tendency to cover songs in English and get them almost-but-not-quite right. And so, as America's one and only Alfee fan, I will make it my mission to expose the world's English-speaking population to their music, one translation at a time.

Today, I start, with the first song from the first album of theirs I ever bought: Hysteric Psychedelic Infinity, from the 2000 album "örb."

Check out the song for yourself here, along with a totally sweet sideshow of Tokyo skyscrapers. Translation lies below the cut.

Romanized lyrics transcribed from kanji found here.

Song Title: Hysteric Psychedelic Infinity
Artist: The Alfee
Album: örb

Private network uso de katameru
hontou no koto nado oshienai
Access funou na Conversation
itsudemo asobi to warikiru no sa


In a Private Network founded on lies
No one even bothers with the truth
Because this Access-prohibited Conversation
Is never considered as more than a game

Hysteric ni sawagitai
Psychedelic ni kanjitai
Giri-giri made Kiss shitai
sono ba kagiri no Virtual game


I want to celebrate Hysterically
Feel you Psychedelically
Kiss you with all the time I have
Our Virtual Game begins and ends here

Database mitsukaranai
kore kara nani wo shitai no ka
yume sae oenai mainichi ni
ima dake kagayakitai


Now the Database is down
So what am I supposed to do now?
In monotonous days, lacking even in dreams
I just want this one time to shine!

Thrill na yoru ni dakarete
fuan na mirai Freeze out
Can't get enough manzoku dekinai
motto hageshiku Body install


Embraced by the Thrill of night
My fears about the future Freeze Out
I Can't Get Enough, can't be satisfied
More forcefully now, Body Install

tsujitsuma no awanai
iiwake dake kurikaesu
kizu darake no CPU
itsudemo totsuzen kowareru no sa


I keep getting these lame excuses
Over and over again
That a CPU so full of flaws
Can break down without warning at any time...

Hysteric ni sakebitai
Psychedelic ni yurete itai
yakusoku nante dekiyashinai
ichiya kagiri no One night stand


I want to scream Hysterically
I want to shake Psychedelically
No promises made, and none delivered
This is just a one night stand

hitomi de hajimaru Love interface
mitsumete totsuzen hajikeru
tameiki dake ga shinjitsu sa
kotoba ha mou iranai


The Love Interface connects through the eyes
They meet, and suddenly, something snaps
These sighs are the only truth we know
And there's no more need for words

Gimme some lovin' dare demo ii sa
Crazy na yume katariaou
Can't get enough manzoku dekinai
motto hageshiku Body install


Gimme Some Lovin', it doesn't matter who
Let's tell each other our Crazy dreams
I Can't Get Enough, can't be satisfied
More forcefully now, Body Install

matenrou futo miageru
kiritorareta yozora ga aru
marude fuan na mirai no you
ima sugu nigedashitai


I catch a glance up at the skyscrapers
At the sliver of night sky that remains
It reminds me of my fears about the future
And suddenly, I need to run away

Thrill na yoru ni dakarete
fuan na mirai Freeze out
Can't get enough manzoku dekinai
dakara konya


Embraced by the Thrill of night
My fears about the future Freeze Out
I Can't Get Enough, can't be satisfied
And so, just for tonight...

Gimme some lovin' dare demo ii sa
Crazy na yume katariaou
Can't get enough manzoku dekinai
hadaka ni natte


Gimme Some Lovin', it doesn't matter who
Let's tell each other our Crazy dreams
I Can't Get Enough, can't be satisfied
I am made bare...

Thrill na yoru ni dakarete
fuan na mirai Freeze out
Can't get enough manzoku dekinai
motto hageshiku Body install


Embraced by the Thrill of night
My fears about the future Freeze Out
I Can't Get Enough, can't be satisfied
More forcefully now, Body Install

No comments:

Post a Comment