Saturday, April 3, 2010

Translation: Wind & Rain (Shimon Masato)

I have not seen a lot of Fist of the North Star, just bits and pieces here and there. One thing I know about it is that it is a manly show about manly men killing each other in hilariously gruesome ways. The other thing that I know about it is that it has incredibly kickass music.

Today's translation is not one of FotNS's more kickass songs, but it is one of its more beautiful ones. It's an insert song from the second season, called "Wind & Rain." It's also one of the first songs I ever downloaded back when I was first getting into anime. I only hope that my translation can accurately convey the simple, earnest longing contained in the Japanese lyrics and Shimon Masato's heartfelt vocals.

[12/7/2010: Song link removed due to ToS violation. So sad.]


Song Title: Wind & Rain
Artist: Shimon Masato
Series: Hokuto no Ken 2 (Fist of the North Star 2)

otoko no kokoro ha kaze
tada hitasura hashirinukeru ato de
hontou ni daiji na mono
nakushite kita koto ni kizuki mata maimodoru


A man's heart is the wind
It blows its earnest course, and then
Realizing all that it's left behind
It returns to where it came from

omae no hoho ni furu sono ame wo
nuguu koto sae dekinu jibun ga munashikute


When I see the rain falling on your cheek
I feel so powerless to wipe it away...

dakara sukoshi dake de ii
niji no you na sono hohoemi misete hoshii


So please, for just a little while
Let your smile be a rainbow in my life

otoko no inochi ha kaze
sugite mireba tada hakanai yume sa
dakedo hitotsubu no ai
kata ni nosete dokoka tooku hakonde yukeru


A man's life is the wind
It seems so fleeting, just passing by
But if it picks up just one grain of love
It can carry it on forever

soko ni omae no yasashisa no ame
sosoida naraba utsukushii hana saku darou


If only the rain of your kindness would fall on me
The most beautiful flowers would grow

asu ha wakaranai kara
yokei kyou ga omotaku naru ikiteru koto ga


But I don't know what will happen tomorrow
And that makes it so much harder to live through today

soko ni omae no yasashisa no ame
sosoida naraba utsukushii hana saku darou


If only the rain of your kindness would fall on me
The most beautiful flowers would grow

asu ha wakaranai kara
yokei kyou ga omotaku naru ikiteru koto ga


But I don't know what will happen tomorrow
And that makes it so much harder to live through today

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks a lot for translation this. It's a beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete