Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 7

It's a little frustrating that I can't find Japanese lyrics to "To The Top," because the song plays fairly regularly and I'm pretty sure there's a fair amount of Engrish in it. This is a problem, and I'll cop to basically having no confidence in the translation I've given the song.

Then again, episode 7 seems to suggest that the point of the song is that the rewritten lyrics are trite and shallow. So maybe it doesn't matter very much? Oh well.

The rest of the translation I have total confidence in, though, so please enjoy!

0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who lost her way in the city, then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

[Opening song]
Someone hurts you
With heartless words
Makes you wanna give up
There's no more kindness
Someone will use that to trap you
You must find yourself and fight them
Got to live your life
Believin' in these evil times
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
A song that reflects you
Don't hide your kindness
Let us hear it!
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
Pushing the sadness from your heart
Takes true strength
Forces harmonize
Stand by your side
Just sing your heart out


0:01:50
NARRATOR: During her time in the city, Kanon was repeatedly betrayed, and her faith in others was soon exhausted...

NARRATOR: It was then that the man Taihei appeared before her, crying out passionately to restore that faith. He found his way through Kanon's confusion, and into her heart.

TITLE: Chapter 7, "Hidden Song"

0:02:25
TAIHEI: Hmm.

TOMOSUKE: That's awful.

IKECHIYO: It must be terrible, to have your beloved song stolen from you that way.

HASHITAKA: And the fact that it was someone you really trusted... that makes it so much worse.

OTAKI: If that group attends your college, you must run into them from time to time, right?

SAWAMORI: That would really get under my skin...

KANON: Sorry... I didn't mean to bring everyone down.

0:03:06
TAIHEI: Hey! At a time like this, we should have a song! Kanon, why not sing the Prayer Song for us?

KANON: Eh?

TAIHEI: Not their verison of it. The real Prayer Song.

KANON: The real one...?

TAIHEI: Yeah. It really is a great song. The melody, and the words that go with it. How do I say... just hearing it warms you up inside.

TOMOSUKE: Oh, yeah! Please sing it!

[Prayer Song]
When the sound of the bell
Rings through the village
All the birds, together,
Fly back to the mountain

No one wants to be all alone...


0:04:20
KANON: Thank you for the meal.

TAIHEI: Sure. Listen, when you were singing before... it kinda felt like something was missing.

TAIHEI: Is there a reason you can't put your whole heart into it?

IKECHIYO: I know you're reluctant to part, but I'm sure Kanon needs to be getting home... right?

TAIHEI: Ah... sorry. Good night!

KANON: Right... well... good night.

TAIHEI: Good night!

IKECHIYO: Good night!

0:05:07
TAIHEI: This is all their fault.

IKECHIYO: 'They'?

TAIHEI: Yeah.

TAIHEI: Alright... for Kanon's sake, I'm gonna take it from here!

0:05:44
VOICE: Kotaro.

MOTHER: Which one is it? Number one. You have to read it. It's written right there. Do you want to make your father angry with me?

MOTHER: Get ahold of yourself! How long is this going to take you?

MOTHER'S VOICE: Get ahold of yourself! Are you listening? Do you want to make your father angry? Do you want to embarrass me?!

VOICE: Kotaro. Why do you think we are put on this earth?

KOTARO: The hell...

0:07:00
SAKI: Are you up?

KOTARO: What is it?

SAKI: I'm out front with my bike.

KOTARO: So?

SAKI: I've come to drag you to the club meeting.

KOTARO: No one cares if I'm there.

SAKI: Maybe you don't, but it's bad for 0°C. I'll wait, so get down here.

KOTARO: Fine.

0:07:35
KANON: Good morning!

0:08:24
TOMOSUKE: Hello! 100 years serving ramen, this is Dai-chan!

JYUZO: Huh? Who th' hell is this?

TOMOSUKE: Huh? Who is this?

JYUZO: 500 years lighting pathways as a lantern! This is JYUZO!

TOMOSUKE: Huh? Jyuzo?! I'm sorry. This is Tomosuke.

JYUZO: Oh, the dog boy? How ya doin'?

TOMOSUKE: I'm fine, thank you.

JYUZO: Where's Taihei?

TOMOSUKE: Ah... he went out a little while ago...

JYUZO: Ah. To see the girl?

TOMOSUKE: Ah, no. He went to see a band called 0°C.

JYUZO: 0°C?!

0:09:16
JYUZO: What? You're saying that band stole her song and rewrote it?

TOMOSUKE: Yeah. Taihei wants to find them and make them apologize.

JYUZO: Oh! Ohh...

TOMOSUKE: I think Kanon really used to love that song. Taihei said he wants to give her room to enjoy singing it again.

JYUZO: Yeah? Sounds like that Taihei's finally got a grasp on things!

TOMOSUKE: Now that you mention it, I heard that we're going to be using Miss Kanon in the fight against the Ipadada...

JYUZO: I told him to keep that a secret!

TOMOSUKE: What could Kanon have to do with fighting Ipadada?

JYUZO: You'll find out soon enough!

0:10:15
SHOTA: Is Taihei making trouble again?

JYUZO: Oh, no. It seems he's making a bit of progress. But it's gonna be hard...

SHOTA: Why?

JYUZO: Her song got stolen from her!

0:11:08
TAIHEI: Is there a reason you can't put your whole heart into it?

KANON: A reason I can't...

0:11:30
SAKI: Standing alone on the stage, I've got another...

KOTARO: Guess you like that song!

KOTARO: It's not enough to sing it on stage?

SAKI: I like to sing while I drive. Do you mind?

KOTARO: No.

SAKI: The sound of the rain makes the town cry...

0:12:26
KANON: Um... did you drop your contact...?

GIRL: Stay back! Are you gonna pay for it if you break it!?

GIRL: I don't need your help! Go away!

0:12:58
TAIHEI: But where do I find 0°C?

GIRL: Hey, you're that guy!

TAIHEI: It's you!

GIRL: Are you here to sing again?

TAIHEI: Hey, tell me about 0°C!

0:13:14
[White Board]
This Month's Ghost Members
Haru Makio-
Kotaro- Here today!
Asami- Skipping with her boyfriend...

SAKI: Isn't that the club's lighter?

KOTARO: Yeah.

SAKI: Of course, you're going to keep it. You need to break yourself of that bad habit.

SAKI: It's been a while since you came to school. How about going to class?

KOTARO: I'm going home after this.

SAKI: You better not sleep here.

KOTARO: I had a weird dream.

SAKI: A dream?

KOTARO: How do you say... seemed real.

SAKI: Tell me about it later, okay?

KOTARO: Sure.

0:14:14
MEN: 0°C's song? I like the melody, but the lyrics are a little...

MEN: It does seem a lot like them. They should've expected a backlash.

TAIHEI: It really is a great song. The melody, and the words that go with it. How do I say... just hearing it warms you up inside.

GIRL: What's wrong with that song? I think it's pretty catchy...

TAIHEI: It's not about whether it's catchy!

TAIHEI: Come on, I need to meet with them!

GIRL: They don't do public appearances or autographs here. It would bother everyone to do it at school.

GIRL: No way! Namasaki? What a coincidence!

TAIHEI: Who?

GIRL: She's the vocalist for that 0°C band you were asking about.

GIRL: Don't ask her for an autograph!

0:15:20
SAKI: What do you...

TAIHEI: What's wrong with you! Do you like stealing other people's stuff?!

SAKI: Excuse me?

TAIHEI: Don't play dumb with me! I know all about it! I'm talking about you stealing that girl's song!

SAKI: What are you talking about?

TAIHEI: I'll prove it!

[Prayer Song]
When the sound of the bell
Rings through the village
All the birds, together,
Fly back to the mountain


0:16:09
OTAKI: Here's your change, thank you very much. Thank you, thank you!

OTAKI: Thank you!

IKECHIYO: I've been thinking. Shouldn't an Ipadada be able to change hosts?

TOMOSUKE: It says here that they can... there are requirements for what kind of person they can possess, but outside that, anyone will do.

OTAKI: That is only after he becomes a decasoul.

OTAKI: The Ipadadas we faced before also, while in monosoul form, seemed fixed on a single human host.

IKECHIYO: Is that what it is... it's still learning.

OTAKI: An Ipadada can't use its full power while in monosoul form. You shouldn't be surprised at that.

TOMOSUKE: They have to learn everything from scratch, I guess...

HASHITAKA: But then how can this one do what it does? It summons powerful soul drones every time we meet it, and it's even appeared during the day!

TOMOSUKE: Yeah, Hashi... it is pretty strange.

OTAKI: Definitely... appearing every day and summoning powerful drones... means its development is proceeding very quickly.

SAWAMORI: Are you saying it's going to become a decasoul?

OTAKI: If it keeps developing at the current rate...

TOMOSUKE: Um... what happens when it becomes a decasoul?

OTAKI: It affects the times when it can take over the host...

0:17:40
OTAKI: A monosoul Ipadada can't take control unless the host is sleeping or otherwise unconscious.

OTAKI: But once it becomse a decasoul...

[Prayer Song]
... how much warmer will we feel?

TAIHEI: Now you know. I figured you should know that it was all a lie.

TAIHEI: Apologize to Kanon! Promise you'll never sing that song again!

SAKI: Let me investigate this.

0:18:47
SAKI: I can't find Kotaro, that's why I'm asking. You don't know either, Ikki? Then what class is that Kanon girl in? I've seen her around here.

SAKI: Got it. Thanks.

TAIHEI: What are you going to do?

SAKI: I want to ask her for myself.

TAIHEI: I'm going too.

SAKI: Please wait here. This is between Kanon and me.

TAIHEI: Listen. That song is really, really important--

SAKI: It's important to me, too!

SAKI: It's important to all of us.

SAKI: Please wait here.


0:20:09
SAKI: Misaki... isn't it? Wait a minute.

SAKI: I heard a weird rumor...

SAKI: I heard that 0°C stole your song and rewrote it.

SAKI: Is it true? It sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

SAKI: Please... tell me the truth.

KANON: That song was originally... my family's song. But then... Kotaro took it for his own.

SAKI: Then it's true, isn't it.

0:21:28
SHOTA: Hey, listen to this!

JYUZO: What is it?

SHOTA: The song that the girl had stolen from her... is it this one?

[To the Top]
The sound of the rain
Makes the town cry
But I just need an umbrella
To keep me from crying...
Standing alone on the stage
I've got another chance
And I'm going straight to the top


JYUZO: Wh-what is this!?

JYUZO: What... what are we supposed to do about this!?

0:22:27
TAIHEI: I gotcha now!

TAIHEI: Now, cut it out!

TAIHEI: Hey, wait!

[Ending Theme]
Hey, why don't you show your real feelings?
Outside the window, the rain is falling
The town seems like it's carved from ice
So cold you'd freeze just from touching it
Closing your eyes, you pray for some kindness
Are you waiting for blue skies like the ones in your dream?
Tomorrow, that's what you'll see


NARRATION: Kotaro makes light of Kanon, and an earthworm monster targets Taihei. Then, Saki makes her decision...

NARRATION: Next Time: Whirling Sound

No comments:

Post a Comment