Saturday, September 4, 2010

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 10

Let's see... no major notes for this episode. But it certainly was an unexpected turn in the plot!

I hope the Layoff Song comes off as hypnotic in its amazingness in English as it is in Japanese.

0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who struggled with her faith in people, then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

[Opening song]
Someone hurts you
With heartless words
Makes you wanna give up
There's no more kindness
Someone will use that to trap you
You must find yourself and fight them
Got to live your life
Believin' in these evil times
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
A song that reflects you
Don't hide your kindness
Let us hear it!
Sing your heart out
Don't worry, Just shout
Pushing the sadness from your heart
Takes true strength
Forces harmonize
Stand by your side
Just sing your heart out


0:01:50
NARRATOR: Betrayed by others, Kanon lost faith in the Prayer Song she once loved. The Onbake learned of her pain, and invited her to a summer festival to restore her spirits.

NARRATOR: These events began to bridge the gap between Kanon and the others.

TITLE: Chapter 10, "No Profit"

0:02:28
MARUYAMA: Hey! Quit spacing out.

KANON: Sorry.

MARUYAMA: Are you feeling better?

KANON: Two weeks passed, one way or another. I still can't put my heart into the Prayer Song... but I feel like I'm getting along! I'm pulling out of my depression, and feeling better about myself.

MARUYAMA: There's her boyfriend!

ABE: I know!

KANON: It feels a little weird... but I think it's because of Taihei.

KANON: So the other waitresses...

ABE: So are you Kanon's boyfriend?

KANON: ... they tease me a little, but it's really not like that.

TAIHEI: Hey, Kanon!

KANON: But I do feel happier when Taihei's around. I feel more like myself.

KANON: When we're together, I feel like I can change. So...

0:03:27
KANON: Do you want to apply to college, Taihei?

TAIHEI: What's that?

KANON: Well, you're always driving me to campus.

TAIHEI: It's not the college I'm interested in.

KANON: Then why?

TAIHEI: I'm worried about the people you might run into while you're there.

KANON: Thank you.

TAIHEI: Huh?

KANON: Let's get lunch after class!

TAIHEI: Huh?

0:04:00
SHOUTA: He's not waking up...

JYUZO: It's that girl. As long as she won't sing that song with her whole heart, Bujin's gonna stay like that.

SHOUTA: We could try tickling him. I'm gonna try!

JYUZO: That won't be necessary!

SHOUTA: Really?

JYUZO: I got a call from Taihei this morning.

0:04:33
TAIHEI: Jyuzo, I have a favor to ask you.

JYUZO: Yeah?

TAIHEI: You know you've been asking me a lot of favors lately.

JYUZO: I sure do!

TAIHEI: But right now I have to focus on making Kanon feel better. Obviously, I'll do what you tell me, but...

JYUZO: If that determination of his can get her feeling the way she ought, then Bujin will awaken, too.

SIGN: Keiyo University

0:05:08
TAIHEI: Thanks for the treat.

KANON: No problem.

TAIHEI: The ramen here isn't bad.

KANON: You think?

TAIHEI: Now I'm stuffed. I could fall asleep right here!

KANON: I bet you snore.

TAIHEI: Of course I don't.

MORIYA: Please! You must have something! I beg you! You're my last chance!

PROFESSOR: I can't, Moriya... my lab just had its funding cut...

MORIYA: Isn't there anywhere you can use me?

PROFESSOR: I'm so sorry. There's nothing.

MORIYA: I see... I'm sorry to have troubled you. Please take care.

PROFESSOR: You take care, too.

0:06:45
TAIHEI: Hey!

0:07:01
TAIHEI: Don't jump!

MORIYA: What do you want?! Who are you!?

TAIHEI: Don't throw your life away! Think about all you have to lose!

MORIYA: What!? I wasn't going to jump!

TAIHEI: Huh!?

[CARD]
Jonan University
Assistant Professor
Civics Department
Moriya Shintaro

MORIYA: I went up there to sing. Whatever I could, as loud as I could.

TAIHEI: I see... how come?

MORIYA: I was an assistant professor at Jonan University. But last spring, they fired me without warning.

TAIHEI: What's an assistant professor?

KANON: Like a professor-in-training.

MORIYA: It was a bit like corporate restructuring. They gave me no advanced warning, it just happened.

0:07:49
MORIYA: What... what did you say?

PROFESSOR: I said we won't be asking you back next month. You're getting a bad reputation around here. It's not good for the university.

MORIYA: What? Please tell me, who said it, what did they say?

PROFESSOR: That's between me and the person in question.

MORIYA: This is ridiculous... you can't even tell me why!?

PROFESSOR: It's not that I can't. I don't owe you an explanation.

TAIHEI: What the heck is that... he sounds like a bully!

MORIYA: The department head acts friendly enough, but it seems he's famous for firing people he doesn't like. Unfortunately, I learned that too late.

TAIHEI: How can that sort of thing go on?

MORIYA: We have a harrassment committee to deal with things like this, but the department head oversees them, too. They wouldn't even hear my complaint.

KANON: Oh no...

MORIYA: It was my fault for being too trusting.

MORIYA: My professors and colleagues refused to help me, too. I'm sure they all had their reasons, but...

TAIHEI: That's harsh. You had nowhere to turn.

MORIYA: I've always put my trust in others. I guess I was naive.

MORIYA: I've called in all my favors... that professor you saw earlier was my last chance.

TAIHEI: I can't take this! Trusting people should lead to happiness! This is WRONG!!

KANON: Taihei, calm down!

TAIHEI: WHAT!

KANON: You're making a scene!

0:09:29
TAIHEI: So, anyway... why were you gonna sing?

MORIYA: Huh?

TAIHEI: You said you were gonna sing on the roof.

MORIYA: Oh... long ago, my dream was to become a singer. I started up a band with my schoolmates, and played lead guitar.

TAIHEI: Then you sing too, right?

MORIYA: It's been a long time since I felt like singing. But I was bursting with that feeling you just expressed. That trusting others should lead to happiness... that I wasn't going to let some damned layoff get me down!

TAIHEI: Yeah! That's right!

KANON: Ah... well, I have class now.

TAIHEI: Oh! Good luck.

KANON: Are you coming, Taihei?

TAIHEI: I think I'm gonna chat with this guy a while.

TAIHEI: What's wrong?

KANON: ... nothing. See you later.

0:10:34
PROFESSOR: Let me explain these two philosophies. The first is vulgar asceticism...

KANON: What's wrong with me? The minute someone's in trouble, I immediately shy away...

KANON: The old Kanon would have stuck around to hear him out...

0:11:19
KOTARO: Have a seat.

SAKI: No. I just wanted to drop this this off.

KOTARO: Are you saying my songs aren't good enough?

SAKI: It's not that. I just wanted to try writing one myself. Please listen.

KOTARO: Make us some tea, then I'll listen.

SAKI: Why?

KOTARO: Because you always make it.

KOTARO: Okay, fine. I'll make it. Just sit down.

SAKI: I'm not thirsty. Don't trouble yourself.

KOTARO: Huh?

0:12:22
HASHITAKA: Haven't seen that Ipadada today.

SAWAMORI: We must have worn him out yesterday.

TOMOSUKE: Even Ipadadas need a break sometimes.

HASHITAKA: Well, I hope he takes a nice, long rest.

TOMOSUKE: At least until our new comrade arrives. Right?

SAWAMORI: You mean, 'The Blade That Knows No Fear?'

TOMOSUKE: Yeah.

HASHITAKA: I hope he comes here soon. The hardened warrior... Tobei...

0:13:28
TAIHEI: Kanon!


TAIHEI: Are you done?

KANON: Yeah.

TAIHEI: All done?

KANON: Yeah?

TAIHEI: Then let's go!

KANON: Huh!?

0:13:40
KANON: Why are we singing karaoke? And what happened to that man?

TAIHEI: You'll see. Here we are!

TAIHEI: Ta-da!

KANON: Huh?

TAIHEI: It's okay! C'mon in, sit down!

0:14:05
MORIYA: Welcome, to the stage where dreams are born!

KANON: What's going on?

TAIHEI: Well! I sang a little for him earlier, and it really perked him up!

MORIYA: So we wrote a parody!

KANON: A parody?

MORIYA: Yes. A song for those who struggle under society's thumb! The primal cry of my soul!

TAIHEI: Okay, let's sing it.

TAIHEI: I hope you like it.

[The Layoff Song]
What's up with layoffs?
What's that about?

You wake up one day
And suddenly you're useless
What's that about?
Something is wrong with this picture!

They say you look pretty stupid
Going for your dreams
But that's all crap!
It's too easy to give up on life!

Anything can happen in this world
But why not have a little faith?
Just roll with the punches
And you'll find a way through!
One way or another!
One way or another!


MORIYA: What a feeling!

TAIHEI: I know!

TAIHEI: It's a good song, isn't it Kanon?

KANON: I'm just... speechless.

MORIYA: I really do love singing. This song has really cheered me up.

TAIHEI: That's great.

0:16:12
[Prayer Song]
... How much warmer will we feel?

KOTARO: Thanks, Kanon. Your song always cheers me up.

KANON: Really? I'm glad.

0:16:40
KANON: Um, excuse me. Taihei, could I have a minute?

TAIHEI: What's going on?

TAIHEI: Kanon, what is it?

KANON: What are you doing, Taihei?!

TAIHEI: Oh, if you want to play the castanets or the harmonica...

KANON: It's not that.

TAIHEI: Listen, we were about to hit up a bar and write the second verse. It's be a big help if you came...

KANON: I never said I would participate!

TAIHEI: Huh?

KANON: I won't come!

TAIHEI: Kanon!

0:17:28
OTAKI: You're saying Taihei abandoned you and went out drinking with some guy? No wonder you're upset!

KANON: But I think it's nice of him to do it.

OTAKI: Well if you're going to protect him, what am I supposed to say?

KANON: I'm sorry... I didn't mean to...

OTAKI: I'm kidding. But listen, that man can't see two steps ahead of him. Once he gets an idea in his head, it never gets out.

KANON: So that's why...

IKECHIYO: If you're finished eating, would you take a walk with me?

KANON: Ah?

0:18:21
IKECHIYO: You have such a wonderful complexion, Kanon.

KANON: I like yours, Ikechiyo... it sparkles like glitter.

IKECHIYO: I guess it does... I used to be a goldfish, after all.

KANON: Pardon?

IKECHIYO: Look at that. We could go on the swings.

0:18:48
IKECHIYO: What did you realize, just then?

KANON: Hmm?

IKECHIYO: When you were talking to Otaki, you realized something about Taihei.

KANON: He reminded me of myself.

KANON: When I look at Taihei, I see the person I used to be.

KANON: The old me would have done anything to help a person in need.

IKECHIYO: But you can't do that anymore, so you got upset and ran home.

KANON: It's like... I was afraid to watch what would happen.

IKECHIYO: Afraid?

KANON: I don't think it would hurt Taihei as badly it hurt me... but I think about how it would affect him, if things go wrong...

IKECHIYO: Why not watch over him?

IKECHIYO: I can't quite explain it, but...

IKECHIYO: I feel like you and Taihei are two parts of a whole.

KANON: Two parts of a whole?

IKECHIYO: So... try to watch over him, if you can.

0:20:46
MORIYA: It's a great song, a GREAT song!

TAIHEI: It is!

MORIYA: We're gonna take this town by storm!

TAIHEI: We SO are!

TAIHEI: You see... you see, my dear Mori... it's all about two hearts, trusting in each other.

TAIHEI: Hey, one more drink!

MORIYA: Okay!

TAIHEI: Cheers!

0:21:15
MORIYA: It's been a long time since I had this much fun...

TAIHEI: I bet it has...

KANON: There you are!

MORIYA: Welcome!

TAIHEI: Oh, it's Kanon!

MORIYA: Have a seat! Do you drink?

KANON: Yes!

KANON: Thanks!

TAIHEI: You're not drunk at all!

MORIYA: You'll have to catch up!

MORIYA: Fill it up to the brim!

0:21:37
TAIHEI: Kanon! Hey Kanon! Kanon!

KANON: What?

TAIHEI: Our beloved Mori... is having his first street performance!

KANON: Really? A street performance?

TAIHEI: We're gonna do it!

MORIYA: Yeah! I'm SO NERVOUS! Next stop, the NHK New Year's bonanza!

TAIHEI: No way!

MORIYA: Just leave a slot open for me!

ALL THREE: Cheers!

MORIYA: Drink up, drink up!

0:22:09
KANON: I like seeing Taihei smile like this. So I'm going to work to make things go well with Moriya. Please, God... let things go our way!

MORIYA: I don't even know what we're eating here... look at that!

MORIYA: It's so weird!

0:22:40
MORIYA: Hey, what's going on with you? You're freaking out! You always break under pressure!

TAIHEI: I don't know what you're talking about!

MORIYA: We've got your number!

0:22:54
TAIHEI: Bye-bye!

MORIYA: Bye!

KANON: Take care!

TAIHEI: That was great!

KANON: That was so much fun!

[Ending Theme]
Hey, why don't you show your real feelings?
Outside the window, the rain is falling
The town seems like it's carved from ice
So cold you'd freeze just from touching it
Closing your eyes, you pray for some kindness
Are you waiting for blue skies like the ones in your dream?
Tomorrow, that's what you'll see


NARRATION: Taihei and Moriya sing to promote trust between people. But Moriya is seized with a sudden anxiety. And Kanon witnesses a scene...

NARRATION: Next Time: Regretted Warmth

KAZAHANA: Please watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment