Thursday, October 21, 2010

Translation: Hohoemi no Bakudan (Mawatari Matsuko)

Hey, you know what I miss? Translating songs!

I've been working on my translation of the Yuu Yuu Hakusho opening theme for a while, but I haven't published it. Why not?

Part of it is just that I just love the show, so it's hard to post about it without rambling on and on. In the end, though, I think the lyrics encapsulate the show's heart so well, that I don't need to ramble. I'm glad that they keep the OP throughout the show's run, because it's always there to remind you of what the show's really about.

The other reason is that this song is actually just really hard to translate. It's full of significant words and phrases that are repeated and twisted in a number of different contexts. So you have to take the song as a whole instead of just line-by-line, and you have to find just the right way to communicate the proper feeling of those phrases in each context without just sounding stilted.

But the very thing that makes the song hard to translate is also what I love about it. So, I hope that comes through in the translation!

Check out the song here if you haven't heard it! Translation below the cut!

Song Title: Hohoemi no Bakudan (The Explosion of a Smile)
Artist: Mawatari Matsuko
Series: Yuu Yuu Hakusho (Ghost Files)

machi no hitogomi kata ga butsukatte hitoribocchi
hatenai sougen kaze ga BYUBYUN to hitoribocchi
docchi darou nakitaku naru basho ha
futatsu MARU wo tsukete choppiri OTONA sa


Alone in the city, brushing shoulders with strangers
Alone on the plains, with the wind whistling by
If asked which of the two would bring tears to my eyes
I'd circle both answers -- a little step towards growing up

MECHAMECHA kurushii kabe datte fui ni nazeka
buchikowasu yuuki to POWER waite kuru no ha
MECHAMECHA kibishii hitotachi ga fui ni miseta
yasashisa no seidattari surundarou ne
A RI GA TO U GO ZA I masu!


And I find myself running into incredibly difficult walls
When, out of nowhere, I find the courage and power to break through
And I bet it's because of the incredibly challenging people
Who, out of nowhere, showed me kindness
Thank you very much for that!

ima made nankai YOROSHIKU to genki ni sakenda darou
ima made nankai SAYONARA to naite wakareta darou
docchi darou kurabete ooi kazu ha
nakani IKOORU kaite choppiri OTONA sa


Shouting happy hellos when meeting new friends
Whispering tearful goodbyes when leaving them behind
If asked which of the two I've experienced more
I'd draw an equal sign between them -- a little step towards growing up

MECHAMECHA kanashii toki datte fui ni nazeka
norikoeru yuuki to POWER waite kuru no ha
MECHAMECHA yasashii hitotachi ga fui ni miseta
kibishisa no sei dattari surundarou ne
A RI GA TO U GO ZA I masu!


And I find myself running into incredibly depressing times
When, out of nowhere, I find the courage and power to overcome
And I bet it's because of the incredibly kind people
Who, out of nowhere, challenged me
Thank you very much for that!

MECHAMECHA kurushii kabe datte fui ni nazeka
buchikowasu yuuki to POWER waite kuru no ha
MECHAMECHA kibishii hitotachi ga fui ni miseta
yasashisa no sei dattari surundarou ne


And I find myself running into incredibly difficult walls
When, out of nowhere, I find the courage and power to break through
And I bet it's because of the incredibly challenging people
Who, out of nowhere, showed me kindness

MECHAMECHA tanoshii toki datte wasurenai yo
itsumademo yuuki to POWER nakusanai yo
MECHAMECHA hitoribocchi no hito ni ageru
kuchibiru no uragawa ni kakushite aru
HO HO E MI NO BA KU DAN!


And I won't forget the incredibly fun times we've shared
And I swear I'll never lose my courage and power
And I want to give something to people who feel so incredibly alone
I know it's hidden behind their lips
The explosion of a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment