Monday, December 27, 2010

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 19

It's ep 19, and I'm feelin' fine. Why? Because my friends bought me the Daimajin Kanon Blu-Ray set! The set contains the first nine episodes, the soundtrack, and an enormous photo-booklet full of concept art and interviews with staff and cast.

Will I translate the interviews and post them here? Maybe!

As for the episode itself, I've got no translator notes or rambles on this episode this time. Enjoy the soulful Kanon goodness!

0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who wished to have faith in people, then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

[Opening song]
Someone tells you
Lies like they're true
Someone betrays you
To hide their weakness
In the never-ending flow of tears
A reason for living will show itself
Got to live your life
Believin' in these evil times
Sing your heart out
When you feel the love
A song that reflects you
As far as your voice can carry...
Let it ring!
Sing your heart out
When you feel the love
It will surely reach
The hearts of all, some day...
Forces harmonize
You will find the prize
Just sing your heart out


0:01:49
NARRATOR: Kanon sang the Prayer Song, and Bujin unexpectedly awakened. But he rejected the song, and in the end, returned to his slumber.

NARRATOR: Meanwhile, Kanon learned that Kotaro has been trying to manipulate her classmate, Kaname. She enlisted Tomosuke to help her learn more about Kaname, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth of Kaname's past.

[blog text]
419: I can't believe it
Why?
No one believes me.
Not even the guy I love.

418: I don't want to go home
The bastard hit me again.
Said he didn't like the way I was looking at him
Mom's gonna be late again today
I don't want to go home.

417: In the end
All people are selfish.

0:02:26
TITLE: Tragic Warmth

TAIHEI: Hey Bujin! You up? I got somethin' to talk with you about!

TAIHEI: What is it in the song you don't like!? What partis a lie!?

TAIHEI: Kanon's been through a lot of hard stuff! She's been hurt! But she can't turn to stone, so she's out there, doing the best she can!

TAIHEI: At least tell us what part of it is a lie!

TAIHEI: Bujin!!

0:03:13
OTAKI: Has her life really been that hard?

KANON: Yes. Right after she was born, her father left her family for another woman... and after that, her new step-father started knocking her around. But... her mother doesn't stand up for her at all.

IKECHIYO: That really is awful.

KANON: Her mother moves whenever she feels like it, so she didn't have any friends up to middle school... her blog gave the impression of someone who feels totally unwanted.

KANON: When she got to high school, she got some popularity, based on her appearance...

IKECHIYO: But things still didn't work out, did they?

KANON: She still couldn't trust anyone from the bottom of her heart. She's always erasing friends' addresses from her cell phone. It's like she just can't maintain relationships for long.

OTAKI: I imagine she's afraid of being abandoned.

KANON: Maybe it's too much for me to deal with, after all.

OTAKI: You shouldn't try to carry more than you can hold. Maybe you shouldn't get involved with her. She's tricked you before, after all.

IKECHIYO: At any rate, you'll want to do some thinking about it. Right?

0:05:06
KANON: What a beautiful moon...

KANON: At times like this, I wonder what Taihei would say.

TAIHEI: What's this about me?

KANON: Taihei?

TAIHEI: Hey, Kanon. What's up?

KANON: A lot of things, really...

TAIHEI: We can talk about it, if you want.

KANON: It's kind of a long story.

TAIHEI: No worries. The night is young.

TAIHEI: Hey, Kanon? What's wrong?

KANON: Taihei... can I ask you something?

TAIHEI: Um... sure, anything.

KANON: You remember Mr. Moriya?

TAIHEI: Oh yeah, Mori?

KANON: Yeah, the man who broke his promise to you.

TAIHEI: What happened to the Mori that wrote that song?!

MORIYA: That was just a song. It has nothing to do with reality.

KANON: If you happened to run into him again somewhere, and he seemed to be in trouble... what would you do?

TAIHEI: Hmm? Kanon, don't forget that I'm an Onbake. If he needed me, I'd help him. There's nothing else I could do.

KANON: You'd still trust him, after what he did to you?

TAIHEI: Yeah, I would.

KANON: But why?

TAIHEI: Good question... because I want to love people, I guess.

KANON: Love... people?

TAIHEI: Yeah. No matter what happens, I want to love people.

KANON: That's true. Yes, that's right!

TAIHEI: Right?

KANON: Thank you, Taihei! That's why I love you, Taihei.

TAIHEI: Love me?

KANON: Never change, Taihei. Good night!

SHOTA: She loves you, Taihei.

SHOTA: Nice goin'.

0:08:40
HASHITAKA: No way!

0:08:45
TAIHEI: Hey, Jyuzo. What's Gonbei's involvement with this, exactly?

JYUZO: You saw Sawamori's ritual before, right? He'll be doing the same.

TAIHEI: You think he can contain the Ipadada inside him?

JYUZO: For an Ipadada that big, a great big guy like Gonbei is the only choice we have.

TAIHEI: But... if not even Sawamori could restrain it...

JYUZO: This Ipadada's power truly is great... but if Gonbei can exhaust it in battle, maybe it can be sealed.

JYUZO: Anyway, you take care of that Songstress. Okay?

TAIHEI: Roger that.

0:09:52
KANON: This is the seat where Fukatsu was sitting.

TOMOSUKE: Are you sure about this?

KANON: What?

TOMOSUKE: I mean, you're totally prepared to deal with her?

KANON: Don't worry. I talked to Taihei, and I want to try.

TOMOSUKE: Okay, I'll do my best!

TOMOSUKE: She's here! She's close!

0:11:15
KANON: Fukatsu... can we talk?

KANAME: I'm busy.

KANON: I heard Kotaro's trying to use you for something.

KANAME: What's that supposed to mean?

KANON: I just overheard it somewhere. Kotaro's trying to--

KANAME: Stop it. Kotaro cares about me. People just don't like me, so they're spreading bad rumors about me.

KANON: No, I'm just worried about you...

KANAME: I hate hypocrites like you.

KANON: Hypocrites?

KANAME: Don't trouble yourself any further.

KANON: Wait...

0:12:16
TOMOSUKE: It's on me. I think you'll like it.

KANON: Thanks...

KANON: Bottoms up...

KANON: It is good...

TOMOSUKE: I knew it!? Nice move, Tomosuke!

KANON: A hypocrite, huh?

TOMOSUKE: You're not a hypocrite, Kanon. That girl just wants to think you are.

TOMOSUKE: Humans are complicated. Someone changes because of someone else's actions. Someone else sees that, and they change too.

KANON: I have to go somewhere.

TOMOSUKE: Where?

KANON: I have to talk to Kotaro.

TOMOSUKE: Why?

KANON: I'm going to tell him to leave Kaname alone.

0:14:01
TOMOSUKE: Taihei!

TAIHEI: Fancy meetin' you here!

TAIHEI: Hmm? Where's Kanon?

KANON: If he's not picking up at a time like this, he must be... there.

0:14:45
KOTARO: Kanon?

KANON: Hot milk, please.

BARTENDER: One moment.

KOTARO: You changed your mind about getting together?

KANON: I've come to stop you.

KOTARO: What?

KANON: Stop using Fukatsu to do your dirty work.

KOTARO: I don't know what you're talking about. Why do you care, anyway?

KANON: I don't want to see her in pain.

KOTARO: She seems happy enough when she's with me.

KANON: You're not even really dating her.

KOTARO: Then how about we hook up again? You're hot when you're aggressive like this.

KANON: Shut up.

KOTARO: So, you want to do it with me again?

KANON: I said, shut up.

KOTARO: I'd like to hear you sing it... 'To The Top.'

KOTARO: What are you doing!?

0:16:25
KANON: You ASSHOLE!

TAIHEI: Kanon!

KANON: Taihei?

TAIHEI: I was a little worried... Tomosuke helped me find you.

TOMOSUKE: Kanon?

TAIHEI: Oh, Buchinko?

TAIHEI: What? What's that!?

KANON: What's going on?

TOMOSUKE: He said Kotaro called Kaname. They've got an exchange going down tonight.

KANON: Really?

TAIHEI: Where are they going?

TAIHEI: Oh... Roppongi?

KANON: Where in Roppongi?

TOMOSUKE: Don't worry. I'll track her down.

0:18:17
TAIHEI: Kanon.

KANON: Are you meeting someone here?

KANAME: What do you want?

KANON: Fukatsu... you need to go home. The person you're meeting is up to no good.

KANAME: I don't know what you're talking about. Get out of here and leave me alone.

KANON: Kotaro told me himself. You can't trust him.

KANAME: I told you, go away!

KANON: You have to stop lying to yourself.

KANAME: What are you talking about?

KANON: You know something's wrong here, don't you? You want to refuse him, don't you?

KANAME: Don't be stupid!

KANON: But you're worried that he'll hate you if you don't pretend to trust him!

KANAME: Stop kidding yourself.

KANAME: What are you doing?

KANON: I read your blog. It was so sad.

KANAME: What? Seriously?

KANON: I understand what it's like, wanting to form a connection with someone. I've felt that way ever since I moved here from the country. That's why Kotaro could take advantage of me.

KANAME: Don't lump me in with you. I'm nothing like you.

KANON: That's not what's important!

KANAME: Do you always do this?

KANON: Do you feel warmer when I hold your hand?

KANAME: Not especially.

KANON: I see...

KANAME: Let go.

KANON: I just want to love people.

KANAME: You're an idiot.

[Newspaper Headline]
Popular Rock Band
0°C leader arrested
"Kotaro" accused of using narcotics

IKECHIYO: So, they got him in the end.

OTAKI: Some people just don't change. Maybe this is for the best.

TOMOSUKE: Kanon says she hasn't seen Kaname much since then.

TAIHEI: I have faith. I think Kanon got through to her, and changed her just a bit.

OTAKI: Then she just needs time, I suppose.

0:22:05
KANON: Thank you...

KANON: I guess the gap between us won't close overnight... I tried joining hands with her, but it didn't make us feel warmer the way it says in the Prayer Song.

KANON: But... if I keep trying to connect with her, I think something will change.

KANON: And that's okay! People won't always act the way it says in the Prayer Song. But that doesn't mean we should stop trying to join hands.

KANON: When I think about things like that, I feel a little stronger than before.

[Ending Song]
When I look up, I can still see stars
In the strip of sky between the buildings
Faintly, but I love them
Those little interwoven points of light
I'll send positive words for kindness in the future
And leave my sadness to the wind!
I'm walking home again today
'til I can walk to the place where he waits for me
I'm walking home with that song on my lips
Because I want to smile up at the blue skies
And so, I'm taking my time with my dreams


NARRATOR: Kanon thinks about how to help Baroku. Kiriha uses her techniques to rend a soul drone. And Buchinko reveals a secret about Bujin.

NARRATOR: Next time: 'Withered Sound'

No comments:

Post a Comment