Thursday, December 30, 2010

Translation: Kaiketsu Zubatto, Episode 4

Time for more Zu-VATT!

This was a fairly tough episode to work through. The 70s acting style tends a lot more towards the slurring of words than the modern stuff, which makes it hard to pick up certain lines. The show's vintage does mean there are quite a few locations online where one can find good summaries and quotation lists. Even then, finding exact lines can be time-consuming if they're not on my go-to summary sites. This time, as it happens, I just didn't get lucky.

The other difficulty in this episode was thinking of how to translate the villain's name. Usually, the "ringleader villain" of each episode follows a Noun-Noun or Adjective-Noun name scheme (Gold-Mask, Hell-Dragon, Black-Star, etc), which makes translating them a no-brainer -- they're not really names.

In the case of this episode, though, the villain's real name is used as part of his title. his boss-name derives from the fusing of "Oni" (a Japanese ogre) with the first character of his name, "Kan." Although "Kan" translates roughly to "instinct," it's still a representation of his proper name (Kanzou), which is also spoken in the episode as his full title.

I considered going with 'Demon-Kan' instead, but it seemed odd, with the name-scheme, to translate one half of his name and not the other. So, as much as I try to hold to the policy of "translate everything (because you never know who might end up seeing your work)," I decided to leave his title as Oni-Kan.

(Of course, Mr. Hayakawa aggravates things further by making a terrible pun about Kanzou's name. The real pun revolves around the phrase "kan ni sawaru" -- to irritate or aggrivate -- which uses a different character for 'kan' than the one in Kanzou/Oni-Kan's name. As for the pun I ended up with, all I'll say is that I deeply apologize.)

0:00:30
TITLE: The Magnificent Zuvatt!

[Opening Theme]
Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
Since the day when I saw that view of hell
The only wind that I feel on my face
Is a wind of revenge, a burning wind!
Hunt them down! Hunt them down, and corner them!

Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
My friend, my dear friend!
My friend, please watch my howling whip!

I am the Magnificent Zuvatt!


0:01:50
[Hayakawa's Song]
Burning red in the setting sun
Lies the horizon on which we made our vow
But whether I love it now, or hate it...
La la la, la la la...
Like you, I will never return...
As so I walk toward that endless horizon


MAKOTO: Are you okay? Speak to me! What's wrong?

MAKOTO: She's burning up...

0:02:50
TITLE: A Critical Strike, Through Tears

MAKOTO: What do you want, Oni-Kan?

ONIKAN: Spoiling for a fight as ever, Makoto.

ONIKAN: I notice you haven't been attending our gambling house. As a representative of the Oni-Kan Family, I'd like to extend you a personal invitation.

MAKOTO: Leave me alone. You won't get me like you got the villagers. I don't feel like losing my land to you in a toss of the dice.

GANG: What was that?

ONIKAN: Fool Makoto. I see you've got some unusual luggage back here...

MAKOTO: What? She has nothing to do with me... and she's sick. Please, don't hurt her!

ONIKAN: Take her!

MAKOTO: Stay away!

MAKOTO: Stop that! She's sick!

GANG: How dare you!

ONIKAN: Makoto. I'm going to keep beating this woman until you agree to do as I say.

MAKOTO: Stop it! Stop it! Please! Stop!

ONIKAN: And just who are you?

HAYAKAWA: The name 'Kanzou the Oni' inspires fear throughout the land.

HAYAKAWA: I see. Only 'oni can' stomach the sight of your face. Is that why you're called 'Oni-Kan'?

ONIKAN: What was that!?

HAYAKAWA: It's that mark again...

ONIKAN: Get him!

ONIKAN: You!

HAYAKAWA: I got them. As you ordered, sir.

MAKOTO: Careful! The man's a kung-fu master.

HAYAKAWA: I know. The bodyguard of the Oni-Kan Family, Waltz Lee. The second-best kung-fu artist in Japan.

ONIKAN: Second-best? You're kidding. Are you saying there's a better kung-fu artist in Japan than my Waltz Lee!?

ONIKAN: I'll make you eat those words. Waltz Lee! Introduce yourself!

ONIKAN: Did you see that? That's my Waltz Lee's trademark move!

HAYAKAWA: That's my trademark, the inverted mantis.

MAKOTO: Wow!

0:06:39
MAKOTO: Oni-Kan has the whole town fooled. He's stolen their farms and fields and over thirty homes. But I won't give in. I want to make my little plot of land the best field there is!

MAKOTO: Are you going?

HAYAKAWA: Take care of Midori, and... don't tell anybody I was here.

0:07:16
ONIKAN: Now, what will you do? If you can't pay your debts, I could take your land instead.

MAN: Please, anything but that! Spare us, sir!

ONIKAN: Then let's make it triple-or-nothing!

MAN: Triple!?

MAN: That's impossible!

MAN: Yeah!

ONIKAN: Silence!

ONIKAN: We'll go one more round. If you win, you can consider your debts paid.

0:07:45
DEALER: Begin!

MEN: Even!

MEN: Even! Even! Even!

GANG: Damn you!

ONIKAN: Hayakawa...

HAYAKAWA: Oh? And just where did you learn my name, eh?

ONIKAN: If you sit there, you're in.

HAYAKAWA: Ah, wait a minute. We can't do it like this.

ONIKAN: What?

HAYAKAWA: Oh, this kind of gambling... it's no good at all. See!?

HAYAKAWA: A fraud, as I suspected.

ONIKAN: How dare you!

0:08:55
HAYAKAWA: Take it.

ONIKAN: Freeze, Hayakawa! Unless you you care what happens to the townspeople.

GANG: Take this! Take this!

HAYAKAWA: That's dirty, Oni-Kan!

ONIKAN: Hayakawa... remember this... a lone child like you can't hope to stand against an organization as large as mine.

ONIKAN: If you men don't want to end up like Hayakawa, you'll give me your land. When you feel like doing it, I'll let you out!

0:10:00
MIDORI: What fresh air!

MAKOTO: That's because this is my field. I know it's not much to look at, but give me five years and I'll make it the best field there is. I hope I'm not boring you...

MIDORI: Not at all. Your determination makes me want to get up and run around.

MAKOTO: Stop that! You're not well enough for that yet. Please take it easy. I want someone like you by my side.

GANG: Hey there, you two. Hey Makoto, I hear you're not ready to give up your land up yet. We've got everyone in the village locked up now, you know.

MAKOTO: Everyone in the village!?

GANG: And that's not all. That Hayakawa Ken, too.

MAKOTO: Mr. Hayakawa!?

MIDORI: They have Mr. Hayakawa!?

MAKOTO: Midori, don't go!

GANG: I've got orders from the boss not to let you go.

0:11:09
ONIKAN: I knew this would happen. Makoto's field is as good as ours. Do it, Waltz Lee. Just as we discussed.

0:11:28
OSAMU: What's wrong? Speak to me!

MAKOTO: Midori!

OSAMU: Midori!

MAKOTO: Midori, hang on!

MAKOTO: This is bad... the bone is completely shattered.

OSAMU: We have to get her a doctor!

MAKOTO: Impossible. There's no doctor in the village. The only hospital is an hour's drive from here...

OSAMU: Then let's get a car!

MAKOTO: The only car in the town... belongs to the Oni-Kan Family.

OSAMU: Then... what should we do!?

MAKOTO: I'm going out!

0:12:15
EYECATCH: The Magnificent Zuvatt

BOSS L: Fool! You still haven't taken the land I asked you to!? Do you realize what will happen if we leave that troublemaker Makoto's land untouched!?

ONIKAN: Boss L, I've already taken appropriate measures. It's just a matter of time before he comes to me with his land. Have no fear.

BOSS L: If you're a member of the evil organization Dakkar, you'll take it by any means necessary! Kill them! Kill every one of those sniveling peasants!

MAN: Got it. Let's get this over with.

MAN: Excuse me...

GANG: What?

MAN: We've decided to sell our land.

GANG: Oh, really! That's great. This is gonna make our boss real happy...

GANG: C'mon, you too...

0:13:33
HAYKAWA: Mr. Sagura...

0:13:38
ONIKAN: You want me to lend you a car? I've been waiting for this. But it won't come cheap.

MAKOTO: This is what you want, isn't it? The title to my property!

ONIKAN: There's a good boy. Don't mind if I...

HAYAKAWA: One moment.

ONIKAN: Hayakawa... how did you get out?

HAYAKAWA: Don't give it to him. He won't give you a car... just a warrant for your death.

HAYAKAWA: Makoto, I have a car all ready for you.

MAKOTO: Then we'd better hurry!

HAYAKAWA: Yeah. Let's go.

ONIKAN: Get him!

HAYAKAWA: Makoto!

HAYAKAWA: So long, Oni-Kan.

0:14:56
MAKOTO: Hang in there, Midori. We'll have you patched up, soon.

MIDORI: Thank you, Makoto... you were going to trade your beloved land to saveme...

MAKOTO: Please, Midori. Don't try to talk.

HAYAKAWA: What do you want, Waltz Lee? Out of the way! After hurting Midori, you're still not satisfied!?

HAYAKAWA: If you're going to force my hand... very well. Let's go!

0:15:52
HAYAKAWA: Makoto, hurry!

MAKOTO: Don't worry, I'll take care of her!

0:16:26
OSAMU: Makoto! This isn't the way!

MAKOTO: We don't have a second to spare! I'm cutting through my field!

0:16:44
MAKOTO: Midori!

OSAMU: Makoto!

MAKOTO: Idiot! Take care of Midori!

GANG: Fire! Fire!!

MAKOTO: Cowards... if you want to shoot someone, shoot me!!

0:17:13
OSAMU: Makoto! Speak to me! Makoto!

OSAMU: Makoto!

HAYAKAWA: Makoto! Makoto!

MAKOTO: Hayakawa...

HAYAKAWA: Speak to me!

MAKOTO: Hayakawa... the person Midori is searching for... is not her brother's killer.

HAYAKAWA: Don't try to speak!

MAKOTO: Midori is searching... for you.

MAKOTO: Please... make her... happy...

HAYAKAWA: Makoto! Makoto!

HAYAKAWA: Oil!

HAYAKAWA: That's it... the Oni-Kan Family were after the oil... Makoto! It's oil! There's oil under your field!

MAKOTO: Makoto... I'll show you that a lone man CAN defeat the Oni-Kan Family...

TOJO: Hayakawa!

HAYAKAWA: Tojo! Take care of them.

TOJO: Okay.

0:19:00
ONIKAN: What a ridiculous car! Fire! Take it out!

ONIKAN: Fire! Fire!!

ONIKAN: Fire! Destroy it! Fire!!

0:20:07
HAYAKAWA: Flight switch... on!

HAYAKAWA: Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case! They call me the wandering hero... the Magnificent Zuvatt!

ONIKAN: The Magnificent Zuvatt...

HAYAKAWA: You deceived the townspeople with shady gambling, stole their land, and killed a blameless young man! Kanzou the Oni... you will pay!

[Opening Song]
Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
Since the day when I saw that view of hell
The only wind that I feel on my face
Is a wind of revenge, a burning wind!
Hunt them down! Hunt them down, and corner them!

Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
My friend, my dear friend!
My friend, please watch my howling whip!

I am the Magnificent Zuvatt!


HAYAKAWA: You killed Asuka Goro, didn't you!

ONIKAN: No! I killed Makoto, but I've never met anyone named Asuka!

ONIKAN: I... don't know anything...

HAYAKAWA: One minute left...

ONIKAN: I swear! You've got the wrong man!

0:21:56
HAYAKAWA: Zuvatt Attack!

HAYAKAWA: I will catch Asuka's killer, with my own hands!

CARD: This is the man behind the depraved murders

TOJO: Hayakawa...

OSAMU: Mr. Hayakawa!

MIDORI: Mr. Hayakawa!

OSAMU: Mr. Hayakawa!

MIDORI: Mr. Hayakawa!

[Ending Theme]
There is a road that a man must walk
That road is his to walk alone
When he devotes his life to a burning wish
He seeks what lies beyond the mountains

Through love and truth and suffering
The way of battle is like the fires of hell
And though he does not know what lies beyond...
That road is his to walk alone


NARRATOR: Oni-Kan was not Goro's killer, either. Where is the true culprit? Ken's quest for vengeance continues!

NARRATOR: Next time, on The Magnificent Zuvatt: The Flower Girl and the White Powder!

NARRATOR: Remember, kids, don't try any of these stunts at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment