Sunday, January 30, 2011

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 23

Why haven't I been posting all month? Well, two reasons. First, because I've been a little busy with work. Second, because we're in the final stretch of the show. The last four episodes come together so nicely, it just seems cruel to force people to sit through the cliffhangers.

In other words, I've got the last four scripts translated, and I'll be posting them here in one great mad rush over the course of the day. Look forward to it!

Script below the cut!

0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who wished to have faith in people, then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

[Opening song]
Someone tells you
Lies like they're true
Someone betrays you
To hide their weakness
In the never-ending flow of tears
A reason for living will show itself
Got to live your life
Believin' in these evil times
Sing your heart out
When you feel the love
A song that reflects you
As far as your voice can carry...
Let it ring!
Sing your heart out
When you feel the love
It will surely reach
The hearts of all, some day...
Forces harmonize
You will find the prize
Just sing your heart out


0:01:49
NARRATOR: Misaki Kanon came to Tokyo from Yamagata, and for a time, lost her Prayer Song. Through the various people she met in Tokyo, she began to let go of the person she once was, and find her new self. And so, she gradually began to acquire a new Prayer Song.

LYRICS: We'll see the bonds that we share...

0:02:29
TITLE: Circular Origin

BAROKU: I don't know, maybe. Yeah... I'll see you tomorrow night.

KANON: YES! It's done!!

BAROKU: ... that was a shock.

BAROKU: What's done, now?

KANON: My Prayer Song!

BAROKU: YOUR Prayer Song?

KANON: I rewrote the lyrics to the Prayer Song so it reflects my feelings!

BAROKU: Oh? But your gramma taught you that song. I thought you liked it the way it was.

KANON: Well, that's true, but for the person I am now, it feels... how do I say...

BAROKU: A little simplistic?

BAROKU: Like it glosses over the bad parts of life?

KANON: How'd you know that!?

BAROKU: Well, I am your father, after all.

PROVERB: A lotus flower will bloom in the middle of the swamp

BAROKU: I think your gramma didn't believe children could bloom in the mud of the real world...

KANON: I see.

BAROKU: Hey, lemme hear that song.

KANON: What, now!?

BAROKU: Maybe you could sing it at me an' Akari's announcement ceremony on Sunday?

KANON: Ah... I'll think about it.

BAROKU: Please do.

0:04:10
JYUZO: The Songstress asked for it herself?

TAIHEI: Yeah. That's why it was such a shock!

JYUZO: I see. So the Songstress wants to hear about her connection to Bujin?

TAIHEI: I wasn't sure how to explain it to her at the time, so I asked her to give me some time.

JYUZO: And just maybe you could use this to explain to her about the Ipadada!

OTAKI: Wait a minute, there.

JYUZO: Huh? What're you fixin' to do?

TAIHEI: What's wrong, Jyuzo? Hey!

OTAKI: Taihei.

TAIHEI: Otaki!

OTAKI: Tell me how you've felt about Kanon since you started spending time with her.

TAIHEI: What's this all about?

OTAKI: Just do it!

TAIHEI: I think I've been tryin' to make it so that Kanon could sing her song from the bottom of her heart again...

OTAKI: Because that's what would make Bujin wake up too, right?

TAIHEI: Well, that would be nice an' all, but...

OTAKI: But what?

TAIHEI: I don't think it would be right to force her to sing... but I believe she'll be able to sing it again. And I think that if I tell her what happened, she'll want to help Bujin, too.

OTAKI: I see. Then I'll leave Kanon in your hands.

TAIHEI: Roger that.

0:06:32
TOMOSUKE: He doesn't seem to like Hakkoku's chant.

SAWAMORI: The chant should lead him right to the rendezvous point with Gombei.

0:06:51
KANON: I'm sorry it's so sudden.

MARUYAMA: Not at all! It's wonderful that it's happening. So you'll be needing today and tomorrow off?

KANON: Yes.

AME: Ah, going home?

KANON: Yes, thank you.

MARUYAMA: What's going on?

AME: Right now, some of the former members of 0°C are here in the restaurant! They're acting like they're big shots or something! It's a laugh riot!

KANON: Long time, no see. Have you heard from Saki lately?

IKKI: Not really.

KANON: I hear she's working hard in New York!

SHINYA: Yeah, maybe.

KANON: How about you guys? Going to start up a new band?

IKKI: Yeah, we're looking for new members now so we can do the pro thing again.

SHINYA: We've got a lot of good hopefuls right now.

KANON: That's nice!

KANON: But please, don't sing that song again. I don't want you singing To The Top anymore.

KANON: That song used to be very important to me.

KANON: I've been through some hard times lately, and I think it's wrong to step on others to get ahead. I don't think it's right to look the other way when you see it happening, either.

KANON: So it's a promise, right? Bye!

0:09:08
TOMOSUKE: Hakkoku!

SAWAMORI: Stay with him!

TOMOSUKE: Sawamori!

0:09:14
KANON: Taihei will sure be surprised when I tell him I'm heading for Yamagata today!

BAROKU: Yeah, it's me. I'm heading out right now. What about you?

KANON: I'll be right along. Just going to say hi to Taihei.

BAROKU: Gotcha. But if you don't make it, you sure it's okay for me to go without you?

KANON: Yeah. Sorry about that...

BAROKU: Okay, but just make sure you're there by noon on Sunday, okay?

KANON: Roger that!

0:10:00
[Prayer Song]
If we all join hands together
How much warmer will we feel?


KANON: Hello!

TAIHEI: Oh, hey.

FUKUMATSU: 'sup.

KANON: Oh! Fukumatsu!

FUKUMATSU: You want your sausages?

KANON: Are the others out somewhere?

TAIHEI: Yeah... they had some pressing business.

KANON: To tell the truth, I have some business, too. I'm going off to Yamagata!

TAIHEI: W-What!? Before I even told you a thing about Bujin?

KANON: Huh? No... my father's about to get re-married. When he told his family, they all asked him to bring his new bride home as soon as possible.

TAIHEI: Oh... oh! So you're going with him.

KANON: Yeah. It's just for introductions. But I can't believe I'm about to head to Yamagata around the time you were about to tell me about Bujin...

KANON: It's a real coincidence, isn't it!

TAIHEI: No kidding.

KANON: But maybe I'll stop in on Bujin while I'm there.

TAIHEI: I could take you on my bike.

KANON: Really, Taihei?

TAIHEI: Sure.

FUKUMATSU: 'twould be faster to take the train.

TAIHEI: Well, I guess that's true.

FUKUMATSU: But perhaps the girl would like to hear the rest of the story, first?

TAIHEI: Yeah, how about it?

KANON: Ah... well...

0:12:14
KANON: If you would.

TAIHEI: First, some background on Bujin...

KANON: Okay.

TAIHEI: Bujin is an Onbake incarnated from this huge, ancient dotaku bell. He started helping out humans as a way to repay them for his incarnation. I think that's why we Onbake born since are so naturally inclined to help humans.

KANON: Oh... so Bujin is a bit like your ancestor?

TAIHEI: Bujin got along so well with the ancient humans, he would sing and dance with them...

KANON: You did tell me he loved singing.

TAIHEI: Yeah. I loved that about Bujin too, but... listen. There was one particular song he would always sing...

0:14:02
TAIHEI: That. The Prayer Song.

KANON: Well... then... the reason my song woke him up...

TAIHEI: ... is because he has a connection to that song.

KANON: But he also got angry and called my song a lie.

TAIHEI: Yeah... he spends his days in silence, now. But I think if he can hear the new Prayer Song you wrote, it might call to him.

TAIHEI: When that happens, I'd like to see Bujin with my own eyes.

KANON: Does that mean you came from Yamagata looking for me... because you wanted to awaken Bujin?

TAIHEI: In terms of my duty... that was a part of it.

KANON: I'm sorry!

TAIHEI: I'll go buy more!

0:15:21
IPADADA: You again?

SAWAMORI: We will sever your bonds of hatred!

0:15:42
KANON: I can't believe he kept all that from me... did you know about this, Buchinko?

KANON: But... when Taihei said that finding the Songstress was his duty...

KANON: Does that mean... that Taihei only stayed with me because...

FUKUMATSU: My dear. It's a waste of time to consider these ridiculous things.

KANON: Ah?

FUKUMATSU: If he only thought of you as the Songstress, then everything he did would have been about getting you to sing, correct?

KANON: That's true...

FUKUMATSU: In the end, we are still Onbake. If you think back on all the things he's said to you, I think you will understand.

TAIHEI: I still sing it all the time.

TAIHEI: It's a great song, anyone can sing it.

KANON: You're wrong!

TAIHEI: No wonder you started crying...

TAIHEI: You wanna grab some ramen with me?

[Onbake Song]
Sing a song to make the goblins run!
Chase 'em all through the night!


TAIHEI: All I want is to hear you sing your very own song with confidence.

0:17:35
KANON: Taihei's just been protecting me... while I took back my song for myself.

FUKUMATSU: Yes. He always believed that you could heal the scar that Tokyo put on your soul.

KANON: Thank you... Taihei.

0:18:15
JYUZO: How's Hakkoku doin'?

IKECHIYO: I think he's recovered.

TAMEKICHI: Wonderful, wonderful!

KAZAHANA: Thank goodness!

OTAKI: Hakkoku did a wonderful job, didn't he.

JYUZO: But having to rely on Hakkoku and Gombei... it shows how poor a job Taihei did, doesn't it?

OTAKI: Not at all.

SHOUTA: Yeah, no way!

OTAKI: To the contrary, your plan to use that fool was a massive success!

JYUZO: What do you mean?

SHOUTA: What do you mean?

OTAKI: I think that fool, in his own way, will put Kanon in touch with Bujin.

JYUZO: Then quit callin' him a fool.

OTAKI: I'm talking about a fool's innocence!

JYUZO: Then why didn't you say that from the start?

OTAKI: I think a task like this could only have been performed by someone as innocent as him.

JYUZO: Really? Well... I guess that's true.

OTAKI: That's why none of us can just sit back and watch. We all have our roles to fill!

0:19:36
TAIHEI: I'm sorry I'm so late!

KANON: Welcome back!

KANON: Thank you!

0:19:45
KANON: Here you are!

TAIHEI: Thanks!

TAIHEI: Wow! This is...

KANON: My extra-special Taihei Ramen! Just kidding...

TAIHEI: This is amazing! Thank you! This is the best thing!

FUKUMATSU: It appears to be her way of saying 'thank you.'

KANON: Oh, Fukumatsu!

PHONE: Dad

KANON: I'm sorry, I'm still in Sengawa...

0:20:33
IPADADA: I will make you a part of me... and grow to touch the sky...

SAWAMORI: How do you know about that!?

IPADADA: I learned a lot when I was inside you...

SAWAMORI: Then you know what we intend to do...

IPADADA: Sorry to say, but you don't stand a chance.

HASHITAKA: You have to stop running off on your own!

SAWAMORI: I'm sorry. It looked like the guidance spell was failing...

HASHITAKA: Sawamori!

TOMOSUKE: Sawamori!

SAWAMORI: Kirinoha!

KAENJI: Kirinoha!

0:21:37
KANON: I'm sorry. There was so much more I wanted to ask...

TAIHEI: I guess we'll have to talk about it when you're back in Tokyo.

KANON: Okay, I'm going!

TAIHEI: Take care!

KANON: Okay!

KANON: Ah! Y-You have to tell me where Bujin is...

TAIHEI: Umm, well, if you're familiar with... Katsumai, umm...

KANON: Sorry. I'll just call you later!

FUKUMATSU: Why don't you just go on Taihei's bike?

KANON: Eh?

TAIHEI: You're the one just sayin' it'd be faster to take the train!

FUKUMATSU: That was then. This is now.

TAIHEI: Sheesh. Okay, Kanon. Can I take you up?

KANON: But what about the store?

TAIHEI: Kanon. I think it would be best if I drove you there.

KANON: Well... please drive me, then.

TAIHEI: Roger that!

SIGN: Taking a holiday. Re-opening date unknown. -Dai-chan

TAIHEI: Okay!

TAIHEI: Then let's set off for Yamagata!

FUKUMATSU: Take care.

[Ending Song]
When I look up, I can still see stars
In the strip of sky between the buildings
Faintly, but I love them
Those little interwoven points of light
I'll send positive words for kindness in the future
And leave my sadness to the wind!
I'm walking home again today
'til I can walk to the place where he waits for me
I'm walking home with that song on my lips
Because I want to smile up at the blue skies
And so, I'm taking my time with my dreams


NARRATOR: Kanon feels determined as she heads for Yamagata. The substitute Gombei launches his fierce attack. And Kanon faces Bujin...

NARRATOR: Next time: 'Destiny Fulfilled'

No comments:

Post a Comment