Sunday, January 30, 2011

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 24

kekeke Daimajin Rush, Part 2!

In ep 24 we get our first glimpse of the much-rumored Gombei. He's based on a bonshou bell, which is a different sort of bell than the dotaku from which Bujin derives.

Bonshou are large, cylindrical bells, struck externally (usually with a suspended log) rather than rung with a clapper. They're used in Buddhist temples, and accordingly, Japanese usage of them dates back to the 6th century or so AD, and continues into modern times.

Dotaku, by contrast, are much older, dating back as early as the 2nd century BC, and used through about the 3rd century AD. Made from bronze, the bells were believed to be used in rituals praying for the rice harvest.

Concerning more mundane matters, as far as I can tell, the Bridge of Bonds (Kizuna-bashi) that Taihei and Kanon use as their entrance to Yamagata is not the actual name of the bridge. At least, it's one of those cases where the only references I can find to it online are related to this episode. Perhaps the more Yamagata knowledgeable out there can help me out with this one?

Anyway, on to the episode!

0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who wished to have faith in people, then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

[Opening song]
Someone tells you
Lies like they're true
Someone betrays you
To hide their weakness
In the never-ending flow of tears
A reason for living will show itself
Got to live your life
Believin' in these evil times
Sing your heart out
When you feel the love
A song that reflects you
As far as your voice can carry...
Let it ring!
Sing your heart out
When you feel the love
It will surely reach
The hearts of all, some day...
Forces harmonize
You will find the prize
Just sing your heart out


0:01:49
NARRATOR: Kanon was about to return home to Yamagata for her father's remarriage. But stumbling upon both the secret of Bujin from Taihei, and the truth about Taihei's feelings from Bujin, she began to realize her destiny.

NARRATOR: Meanwhile the Ipadada, raging in its hatred, dominated the battling Onbake.

0:02:19
TITLE: Fulfilled Destiny

KANON: One way or another, I'm heading for Yamagata with Taihei.

KANON: Wow! It's so pretty!

TAIHEI: Look at that!

KANON: It's amazing!

0:02:55
IKECHIYO: Hakkoku! Are you awake, sir?

HAKKOKU: Is the Ipadada...?

IKECHIYO: Sawamori and the others are fighting him, driving him deep into the mountains.

TOMOSUKE: Wait!

KAENJI: Hey!

SAWAMORI: Here we go!

HASHITAKA: Just do your best.

KIRINOHA: Okay!

0:03:30
SIGN: Utsunomiya

0:03:42
WAITRESS: Please, take your time.

KANON: Ta-da! It's my version of the Prayer Song!

TAIHEI: Wow! You finally finished?

KANON: I think it captures my real feelings.

TAIHEI: You think?

KANON: I don't think I could have done it without you.

KANON: Thank you so much.

TAIHEI: Oh, I didn't do so much...

KANON: But you did!

TAIHEI: That's the highest praise an Onbake can receive.

0:04:41
TAIHEI: It does feel... like a reflection of your life.

TAIHEI: Well done.

KANON: Thank you!

TAIHEI: No, thank you. Thank you for letting me read it.

KANON: So if I sing this for Bujin when we get there...

KANON: I wonder what he'll think...

TAIHEI: I don't know... he called the lyrics of the other Prayer Song a lie...

BUJIN: Enough!

BUJIN: The words of that song are a pack of lies!

KANON: I've spent a lot of time worrying about the Prayer Song, myself.

KANON: You said something happened to make Bujin close off his heart, didn't you?

KANON: Would you mind telling me a little bit more about that?

TAIHEI: Sure.

0:05:58
KANON: Bujin's most important duty was exorcising evil spirits called Ipadada.

TOBE: There, that's enough!

KANON: Oh, Jyuzo mentioned them before...

TAIHEI: When they perform enough terrible deeds, they can grow to over a hundred feet tall. Once that happened, the only Onbake who could truly face them was Bujin.

TAIHEI: Exterminating the giant Ipadada was a duty Bujin took on himself, and it was very hard on him.

TAIHEI: It took its toll on his body and mind, but Bujin still did his best. Until one day, a group of unfeeling humans rebuked him for what he had done.

TAIHEI: Bujin was very large, and very strong, but his heart was the same as a man's... at last his spirit gave out, and his body turned to stone.

0:07:13
JYUZO: Go to it!

SHOUTA: Roger that!

TAIHEI: The Prayer Song seems to take in all the prayers of the people of its generation, but... ever since Ipadada started appearing, people started using it more as a signal flare to make Bujin appear.

KANON: That's how the song was used?

TAIHEI: The last time Bujin fought an Ipadada was such a bad memory... maybe he's forgotten the good associations he had with the song.

KANON: Even though he loved it for so long... it must be hard on him.

[To The Top]
The sound of the rain
Makes the town cry...


TAIHEI: I sing it all the time.

TAIHEI: It's a great song, anyone can sing it.

KANON: You're wrong!

KANON: Bujin and I... are a lot alike.

0:08:21
YUMONJI: We're not far from where Gombei's waiting for us...

TAMEKICHI: Yumonji!

TAMEKICHI: Take a minute to refuel...

YUMONJI: Thank you!

KAENJI: Pass it here...

TAMEKICHI: Good luck, you guys!

0:08:43
OTAKI: Kazahana says the Ipadada is moving according to plan. They've all done well. It's up to Gombei, now.

OTAKI: So... how is Taihei doing? Did you call him at the shop?

JYUZO: Yeah. But Taihei wasn't there.

OTAKI: Wasn't there?

JYUZO: I got Fukumatsu instead. Said Taihei an' the Songstress are comin' down here.

OTAKI: Kanon's coming to Yamagata!? Why didn't you tell me that earlier!?

JYUZO: Hmph! Maybe I got my own plans!

IKECHIYO: Taihei... take care of our Kanon.

0:10:11
KANON: Taihei... I've been thinking, but... that Songstress stuff you mentioned?

TAIHEI: Yeah.

KANON: You came looking for me... to wake up Bujin, but... it's because you need him to stop one of those Ipadada, don't you?

TAIHEI: W-Well... it's hard to explain, but... that's... about...

KANON: I knew it.

TAIHEI: I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to trick you or anything like that!

KANON: I know. But were you intentionally avoiding telling me?

KANON: I really am sorry.

TAIHEI: Wait! Why are you apologizing?

KANON: Well... Taihei, I think...

KANON: I think it's my turn to repay a favor to you and the other Onbake.

TAIHEI: Huh?

KANON: I want to help you out, this time. So... I'll sing.

TAIHEI: Kanon!

0:12:12
IKECHIYO: Thank you for this, Gombei!

OTAKI: We're counting on you!

GOMBEI: Bring it on!

IKECHIYO: Take care, Gombei!

GOMBEI: Thank you!

JYUZO: Now, off with you!

GOMBEI: Understood!

0:12:55
SIGN: Bridge of Bonds

0:13:16
TAIHEI: We're finally in Yamagata!

KANON: It really does feel like coming home!

KANON: Well, I guess you'll need directions to my house, now.

TAIHEI: Oh, I think I know my way.

KANON: Huh?

TAIHEI: You were just a little thing...

0:13:45
TAIHEI: You remember when a landslide took out the road, and your family's car got stranded?

KANON: Huh? I do, but... how did you know about that?

KANON: Wait... the super-strong guy who saved me and ate all our food...

TAIHEI: Yep! That was me, Taihei!

KANON: Why didn't you tell me that earlier?!

TAIHEI: Huh? Well... it's funnier this way.

KANON: Hey!

SIGN: Misaki

0:14:28
TAIHEI: Hello!

KANON: I'm home!

0:14:55
TAIHEI: What is it?

KANON: Th-This thing started... moving by itself...

TAIHEI: Hey, cut it out, you prankster!

0:15:23
SHOUTA: Hey, Songstress lady.

KANON: Shouta!

0:15:45
KANON: I've come home, gramma.

TAIHEI: A message from Jyuzo, you say?

SHOUTA: He says Sawamori and the others are working hard.

TAIHEI: And what about Gombei?

SHOUTA: He's working hard.

KANON: Excuse me. You mentioned Sawamori... does that mean they're all here?

TAIHEI: Yeah. They're trying to fight off the Ipadada before it grows to giant size.

SHOUTA: They're all working hard!

KANON: But if it grows to giant size, they'll need Bujin's power, right?

TAIHEI: Yeah.

SHOUTA: So you gotta work hard too, Songstress.

SHOUTA: Anyway, I'm going back.

TAIHEI: Huh? Was that all you came to say?

SHOUTA: That's all.

[Prayer Song]
When the sound of the bell
Rings through the village...


TAIHEI: Ow, ow...

KANON: Be careful!

0:17:08
GYOSAKU: Hello!

KANON: Uncle Gyosaku!

GYOSAKU: It's been so long, eh, Kanon!

KANON: I'm real sorry I didn't look in on ya when you were laid up.

GYOSAKU: Nah, look at that, strong as a horse!

GYOSAKU: Had a little dear about your age helping me thorugh my recovery. Kinda wish I coulda stayed longer.

KANON: Of course!

GYOSAKU: She used to tell me-- hey, y'know I used to do kendo?

KANON: Oh, yeah!

GYOSAKU: She musta heard that somewhere, too. Said 'I wanna make you do kendo again, because that's the kinda person you are!'

KANON: I see! And that gave you the power to press on, huh?

GYOSAKU: Yep! Even though the therapy was real strict...

KANON: It wasn't hard on you?

GYOSAKU: Well, I didn't say that now!

KANON: ... that's it!

GYOSAKU: That's what?

KANON: Nothing, just...

KANON: No matter how hard it is, you should be who you are... I think that's it!

0:18:50
TOMOSUKE: I'm exhausted!

SAWAMORI: Keep going!

YUMONJI: Hey!

KAENJI: Wait!

0:19:16
SAWAMORI: This is...

0:19:36
TAIHEI: Here we are... now we climb!

KANON: Huh? We have to climb this?

TAIHEI: Yeah, no sweat!

KANON: Taihei?

TAIHEI: Yeah?

KANON: I was just thinking about what Uncle Gyosaku said...

TAIHEI: Yeah?

KANON: I was thinking Bujin would be a lot happier being true to himself than staying frozen like that...

TAIHEI: Yeah.

KANON: But I wonder what it means for Bujin to be true to himself?

TAIHEI: Helping people, I bet.

TAIHEI: Because he's an Onbake.

KANON: Even if he's been hurt by people?

TAIHEI: I think so. That's what I believe.

0:20:36
TAIHEI: You okay?

KANON: Yeah...

TAIHEI: One last push. Here we go!

KANON: Okay...

0:20:48
SAWAMORI: Ipadada!

GOMBEI: There you are!

GOMBEI: Bring it on!

SAWAMORI: Gombei!

GOMBEI: Why you... take this!

0:21:28
TAIHEI: We're here!

TAIHEI: That's Bujin!

KANON: Wow... he's so big! When you see him in person...

BUCHINKO: Tamakko!

TAMAKKO: Buchinko!

TAIHEI: Bujin! It's Taihei! As in 'all is peace and quiet'! I've come to see you!

TAIHEI: Kanon!

KANON: Ah, right...

KANON: Bujin... it's very nice to meet you...

TAIHEI: Louder.

KANON: Right.

KANON: Bujin! It's very nice to meet you! I'm Misaki Kanon! Bujin!

[Ending Song]
When I look up, I can still see stars
In the strip of sky between the buildings
Faintly, but I love them
Those little interwoven points of light
I'll send positive words for kindness in the future
And leave my sadness to the wind!
I'm walking home again today
'til I can walk to the place where he waits for me
I'm walking home with that song on my lips
Because I want to smile up at the blue skies
And so, I'm taking my time with my dreams


NARRATOR: From the depths of loneliness, Bujin rejects Kanon's song. And Gombei's efforts lead to a brighter future. But what is the reason for Taihei's anger!?

NARRATOR: Next time: 'His Distance'

No comments:

Post a Comment