Sunday, January 30, 2011

Translation: Daimajin Kanon Episode 26

... and here we are, at the end of the road!

You'll no doubt see for yourself some of the changes to the formula in this episode, but I hope you'll also note one last small, subtle change to the opening narration.

Apparently the dinner scene in this episode includes a lot of cameos from the show's writing and directing staff. Unfortunately I can't recognize them on sight, myself.

(There is also one rather notable cameo that fans of producer Takadera's previous works should pick on pretty quickly.)

Anyway, I hope you've all enjoyed watching this series as much as I enjoyed translating it. In the next few weeks, I'll be starting on a new translation project, featuring another beloved Japanese giant.

Stay tuned, and enjoy!

0:00:00
NARRATION: This is the story of a girl who chose to have faith in people, then used her singing voice to summon a miracle. A 21st century fable.

0:00:21
KAZAHANA: Taihei! Taihei!

TAIHEI: Oh? What is it?

0:00:34
TOMOSUKE: Why are you looking so nervous?

HASHITAKA: The Ipadada's sealed, isn't it?

SAWAMORI: It worries me that he's keeping so calm inside Gombei.

KAENJI: I agree...

YUMONJI: You're saying it doesn't match what happened when he was inside the two of you?

KAENJI: He's the strongest Ipadada in our recorded history.

SAWAMORI: We can't let down our guard.

0:01:18
SHOUTA: Bujin!

IKECHIYO: Bujin!

IKECHIYO: Honestly. You really are a nasty one, Bujin. Kanon came all the way here to sing for you, and you just turned her away.

BUJIN: I'm sorry I offended her. But why was she so concerned about me?

IKECHIYO: Listen. Kanon went to a city called Tokyo, and had that song stolen from her by some jerk she trusted. But she still worked hard to get back her faith in people and take back her song.

BUJIN: I see...

0:02:03
TAIHEI: The Ipadada... is sealed, thanks to our efforts!

KANON: That's great!

0:02:11
GYOSAKU: Anyway. This is about a month overdue, but I would like to extend my congratulations, and lead a toast to the new couple.

GYOSAKU: A toast to our Baroku, and his new wife, Akari!

0:02:30
TITLE: Grateful Song

AKARI: Kanon, my dear! I look forward to getting to know you.

KANON: Oh no, I'm the honored one!

AKARI: Kanon... I heard you were going to sing a song for us?

KANON: Oh, yes.

BAROKU: You've been working hard on it, right?

MAN: Baroku, Akari, this way!

BAROKU: Okay! We'll ask you later, okay?

KANON: Roger that.

BAROKU: Okay, excuse us.

TAIHEI: I'm taking you to Bujin!

TAIHEI: You stay here and listen to Kanon's song!

0:03:30
BAROKU: Excuse me. I'd like to introduce the girl who ignored her father's worries and went off to Tokyo. Fortunately, she seems to have done a pretty good job working with the music she loves. It's my eldest daughter, Misaki Kanon, and she's been working hard on this song. So I'd like you all to give it a listen. Now, when Iwent off to Tokyo to see her, I...

0:04:17
KANON: I lost my mother when I was very young, but thanks to my grandmother and all of you, I was able to become the person I am today. When I was in Tokyo, I fought with my father a lot. But now I think I understand what he was trying to tell me. Dad... I'm sorry. And... thank you.

BAROKU: What's this, you're makin' me blush.

KANON: I wrote the lyrics for this song because I want to make people happy with my music. So I thought I might sing it for you today.

0:05:21
IKECHIYO: Taihei!

TAIHEI: Bujin!

BUJIN: Is that Taihei?

TAIHEI: Please! Listen to this!

BUJIN: To what?

KANON: Please listen. This is my Prayer Song for you all.

[Kanon's Prayer Song]
The sound of your voice
Is different from mine
But they harmonize so beautifully
When we sing with our eyes to the sky

When the sun shows itself after the rain
It stretches a rainbow across the sky
Some days may still be cloudy, and yet
We can all bring our prayers together

In the skies of tomorrow
We'll see the bonds that we share
In colors so deep, and so strong
That it dazzles the eye

--

The song that I sing for you
Overflows with my feelings
"May you find peace in your life"
That is the message I send

Sometimes a cold wind may blow on your back
And the petals of spring scatter on the wind
But trust that someone will come along
To put a warm arm around you

Let your words ring out
Into tomorrow's sky
Let's all join voices
And sing as one

GYOSAKU: Great job, Kanon!

KANON: Excuse me, excuse me...

FUUGA: The song suits you.

KANON: Thank you, big brother.

0:09:09
SAWAMORI: Soul drones...

SAWAMORI: Kaenji!

IPADADA: I am born anew!

HASHITAKA: This is...

SAWAMORI: A great Ipadada...

TOMOSUKE: It's too big...

KAZAHANA: This is bad...

0:10:16
WOMAN: What is this?

[Kanon's Prayer Song]
When the sun shows itself after the rain
It stretches a rainbow across the sky
Some days may still be cloudy, and yet
We can all bring our prayers together

In the skies of tomorrow
We'll see the bonds that we share
In colors so deep, and so strong
That it dazzles the eye

KANON: Bujin...

KANON: Bujin is... singing...

BUJIN: Kanon, Songstress of Misaki.

KANON: Yes.

BUJIN: I'm sorry for what I said to you. I heard your song.

KANON: Huh?

BUJIN: Taihei saw to it that your song reached me.

KANON: Taihei!

0:11:42
BUJIN: It was a grand song.

KANON: Thank you!

BUJIN: It made me want to sing again. I thank you, Kanon.

KANON: Not at all. It's my pleasure to see you finally in the flesh, Bujin.

TAIHEI: That's the Bujin I knew you'd be.

KAZAHANA: Taihei!

TAIHEI: Hey Kazahana. What's up?

KAZAHANA: The Ipadada has broken the seal!

TAIHEI: The Ipadada...

IKECHIYO: The Ipadada broke Gombei's seal?

BUJIN: Worry not. I will take care of it.

KANON: Bujin!

BUJIN: Hm?

KANON: I want to go!

BUJIN: You?

KANON: Yes! I want to help you, Bujin!

BUJIN: You wish to help me?

0:12:49
BUJIN: Then, sing with me!

BUJIN: Hang on tight.

[Prayer Song]
Can you hear my voice
As it rings across the land?
In the hope that it will reach you
I'm sending my prayer through my song

No one can stand being all alone
But you don't have to bear it all
As long as your voice blends together with mine
I'll follow wherever you go

Let's all just live together
With this bond between us
Surely tomorrow will be
Warmer than before


TAIHEI: Let's go!

BAROKU: What's goin' on?

AKARI: Oh, Baroku! Kanon is...

GYOSAKU: She's the Songstress!

BAROKU: Songstress?

GYOSAKU: Songstress!

BAROKU: Oh, is that all!

BAROKU: Hey, cut your hair already.

BUJIN: I'm sure that this song will resound for the Ipadada, as well. Please keep singing with me.

KANON: Yes! I'll do my best!

[Prayer Song]
The song that I sing for you
Overflows with my feelings
"May you find peace in your life"
That is the message I send

Sometimes a cold wind may blow on your back
And the petals of spring scatter on the wind
But trust that someone will come along
To put a warm arm around you

Let your words ring out
Into tomorrow's sky...

0:15:42
[Prayer Song]
But trust that someone will come along
To put a warm arm around you

Let your words ring out
Into tomorrow's sky
Let's all join voices
And sing as one

0:16:32
KANON: Sing with me!

IKECHIYO: Everyone. We have to sing and help Bujin.

[Prayer Song]
The song that I sing for you
Overflows with my feelings
"May you find peace in your life"
That is the message I send

Sometimes a cold wind may blow on your back
And the petals of spring scatter on the wind
But trust that someone will come along
To put a warm arm around you

Let your words ring out
Into tomorrow's sky
Let's all join voices
And sing as one

0:17:23
BUJIN: Don't run. Listen to our song!

0:17:49
BUJIN: Worry not. Trust in me!

IPADADA: No! I don't trust anyone!!

KANON: Taihei... Bujin is turning to stone again...

HAKKOKU: He has no choice.

KANON: But...

BUJIN: Worry not. I am merely going to sleep, while I have a talk with the Ipadada...

KANON: I can't believe it ends like this...

TAIHEI: Bujin!

KANON: I'm so sorry!

0:18:42
BUJIN: Kanon. You have nothing to apologize for. I'm so happy that you sang with me.

KANON: Will we sing together again?

BUJIN: For now, I must use all my power to deal with the Ipadada.

BUJIN: But... I will still be here. I hope you will sing for me, from time to time.

KANON: Bujin!

TAIHEI: Bujin!

KANON: Bujin...

0:19:55
BUJIN: My name is Omahito. What is your name?

BUJIN: As you wish. I have all the time in the world. Let's have a nice, long talk.

0:20:30
KANON: It's so peaceful, it's hard to believe it happened just yesterday.

KANON: I wonder if I'll meet Bujin again, when I'm an old lady myself.

KANON: Hey... Taihei?

KANON: I'll be going back to Tokyo soon...

TAIHEI: Oh.

KANON: If I go to Dai-chan, will I see you there?

TAIHEI: Kanon... I'm an Onbake. Onbake exist to help humans. If there are people out there who are sad and suffering the way that you were, I've gotta go help them.

KANON: Then... if I'm ever sad and suffering again...

TAIHEI: Then maybe I'll be there.

KANON: And can I see you if I come here again?

TAIHEI: Of course! And Bujin too... I think he wants to hear you sing.

[Prayer Song]
When the sound of the bell
Rings through the village
All the birds, together,
Fly back to the mountain

No one wants to be all alone
But each has only one voice
So let's join all our voices together
And bring a smile to everyone

If we all join hands together,
How much warmer will we feel?


0:23:31
IKECHIYO: I hope all the humans out there will hear this song. Maybe we won't get any more Ipadada.

TAIHEI: I hope so. And maybe we'll see more of our comrades getting born.

KANON: Can you hear our song, Bujin?

BUJIN: Yes. Thank you, Kanon!

0:24:10
END

1 comment:

  1. This is the greatest series ever! Thank you so much for your translations!

    ReplyDelete