Sunday, January 2, 2011

Translation: Kaiketsu Zubatto, Episode 5

Well! After having so much trouble with episode 4, episode 5 was surprisingly easy!

One thing I like about this show is that the episodes have a clear structure, without being strictly formulaic. Hayakawa will always have a showdown with a bodyguard, Midori will always get a beating, the villain of the week will always have a chat with Boss L. And of course, Hayakawa will always get at least one snappy, word-twisting rejoinder per episode.

But within this loose structure, the actual details change in ways significant enough to keep it from really feeling formulaic. In this episode, we see Hayakawa actually interacting with Midori after he saves her, and a Boss L who is actually pleased with his subordinate's actions! It suggests that there is some real escalation going on in the conflict, which is what makes you want to keep tuning in.

Check out the ep script beneath the cut!

0:00:30
TITLE: The Magnificent Zuvatt!

[Opening Theme]
Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
Since the day when I saw that view of hell
The only wind that I feel on my face
Is a wind of revenge, a burning wind!
Hunt them down! Hunt them down, and corner them!

Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case!
My friend, my dear friend!
My friend, please watch my howling whip!

I am the Magnificent Zuvatt!


0:02:02
MICHIRU: Would you like to buy a flower? Or a box of matches?

MICHIRU: Would you like to buy a flower? Or a box of matches?

MIDORI: Look at that little girl...

OSAMU: I feel bad for her... let's buy something.

MIDORI: We'd like a flower and a box of matches.

MICHIRU: Oh no! You can't!

OSAMU: Why not? You've got plenty, right?

MICHIRU: I can't! He'll get mad at me...

OSAMU: What are you doing!?

GANG: Shut up!

GANG: Take them away!

OSAMU: Let us go!

0:02:55
TITLE: The Flower Girl and the White Powder

OSAMU: Stay back! I won't let you hurt Midori!

GANG: What was that, kid?

OSAMU: If you want to fight someone, fight me!

GANG: This kid's got spunk.

0:03:18
MAN: Michiru.

MICHIRU: Uncle!

MAN: There's nothing to be afraid of now, Michiru. I've taken care of all the bad guys.

MICHIRU: Thank you, Uncle!

MAN: Good girl. Anyone who doesn't know the password is a bad guy. Make sure you don't sell any flowers or matches to them.

MICHIRU: Of course! I'll do whatever you ask, Uncle!

MAN: That's my girl.

0:03:40
GANG: You really think you can fight the Crimson Rose Consortium?

MIDORI: Stop it!

MIDORI: Please stop!

GANG: Wait a minute!

0:04:20
GANG: Who are you!?

HAYAKAWA: The janitor from hell, here to sweep up dirt like you.

GANG: Damn... you'll pay for this!

HAYAKAWA: Bye-bye.

MIDORI: Mr. Hayakawa!

OSAMU: I knew you'd be in Tokyo.

HAYAKAWA: Midori. I need to have a word with you.

MIDORI: Anything.

HAYAKAWA: You must stop this journey of yours.

HAYAKAWA: Even without Osamu by your side, this business is too dangerous for a woman.

0:05:17
GANG: How did it go, Michiru?

GANG: Did you sell everything?

GANG: Hey! Get her some new flowers and matches.

GANG: Sure.

GANG: Good. We'll need you out there one more time. Got it?

GANG: What's wrong!?

GANG: Who did this!?

GANG: Who!?

GANG: Who are you!?

HAYAKAWA: You won't even prepare tea for a visitor who's come so far to see you?

GANG: What do you want!?

HAYAKAWA: Do you need to ask? I won't let anyone force such a little girl into flower-selling.

GANG: What was that?

HAYAKAWA: I'm taking the girl.

GANG: Just try it!!

0:06:10
GANG: Boss!!

HUSTLER: Flashy as always. You're Hayakawa, are you?

HAYAKAWA: Flamboyant as always. You're Hustler, are you?

HUSTLER: Ah. I see you've heard of me.

HAYAKAWA: You're quite famous.

HAYAKAWA: The bodyguard of the Crimson Rose Consortium's boss, Crimson Spider.

HAYAKAWA: You're well-known for your skill with a billiard cue. And yet... you're only the second-best in Japan.

HUSTLER: The second-best? And just who is a more able billiard-player than I?

HUSTLER: We'll see about that.

HUSTLER: Hayakawa... if you lose, I'm taking your arm.

HAYAKAWA: Hustler... if you lose, I'm taking that girl out of here.

HUSTLER: Watch this.

0:07:40
HUSTLER: Give it a try.

HAYAKAWA: Sorry. I guess I win.

HUSTLER: I'd like to turn Michiru over to you as promised, but I regret to inform you that she loves flower-selling. She ran out to sell more just a moment ago.

HAYAKAWA: I see.

0:08:35
MAN: Excuse me, dear. I'll take a black rose and a box of matches.

MAN: Run!

POLICE: Wait!

POLICE: Wait! You won't get away!

MICHIRU: Save me!

POLICE: Just hand that girl over to us!

HAYAKAWA: I'm afraid not, you playground bullies.

POLICE: Playground bullies?!

HAYAKAWA: Bullies who tease little girls deserve a good spanking.

POLICE: You... you'd better not try to stop us!

TOJO: Hayakawa! Are you interrupting an arrest!?

HAYAKAWA: Huh?

HAYAKAWA: Police?! Then... that girl was...

0:10:23
HAYAKAWA: It's cocaine!

TOJO: She carries red roses, but she'll only sell to people who use the pass phrase and ask for black roses.

TOJO: Hayakawa. There's something I need to show you.

TOJO: This man was a successful businessman. He had a beautiful wife and youngsons at home. That drug is what turned him into this.

TOJO: This man was a professional baseball player. He played third base, and manychildren looked up to him.

TOJO: I can give no quarter to the corruptor of these good men... Crimson Spider, the leader of the Crimson Rose Consortium.

TOJO: ... Nor to anyone who works for him. Not even that flower-selling girl, Okamura Michiru. Even if she is a child, I cannot forgive her.

HAYAKAWA: But... I'm sure she's just being used by them.

TOJO: Are you still saying that, Hayakawa!

HAYAKAWA: Tojo. No matter what you say, I have faith in children. The person I cannot forgive... is Crimson Spider, who led her astray!

0:11:43
BOSS L: Well done, Crimson Spider! You are well-suited as a member of the evil organization Dakkar!

SPIDER: Thank you, Boss L! Our drug market will grow rapidly from here out! There won't be warehouses enough to store all the bills!

BOSS L: Or the addicts, either, I assume?

SPIDER: Naturally! A Japan full of addicts to our cocaine!

0:12:17
MICHIRU: Would you like to buy a flower? Or a box of matches?

MICHIRU: Would you like to buy a flower? Or a box of matches?

HAYAKAWA: Hi, Michiru.

HAYAKAWA: You don't have to sell these anymore. You're afraid of the Crimson Rose Consortium, aren't you? Don't worry. I'll take you home. Where is your home, dear?

HAYAKAWA: Michiru!

HAYAKAWA: Michiru!

HAYAKAWA: I want to save you... from Crimson Spider's clutches. Okay?

HAYAKAWA: Michiru! Michiru!

0:13:14
EYECATCH: The Magnificent Zuvatt

SPIDER: Hayakawa.

HAYAKAWA: No need to introduce myself, I guess. Crimson Spider... where did you take Michiru!?

SPIDER: I don't know...

SPIDER: Let me go!

HAYAKAWA: How dare you... using an innocent child as your pawn!

MICHIRU: Stop it!

0:13:55
HAYAKAWA: Michiru?

MICHIRU: Please don't hit my Uncle Spider!

MICHIRU: Uncle Spider is a good man! He took me in when I was all alone, and gave me a job selling flowers and matches!

HAYAKAWA: Michiru... those flowers and matches are...

MICHIRU: Get out of here! Go away! Uncle Spider is a nice man, just like my dead father!

MICHIRU: Leave me alone!

SPIDER: Do you see now, Hayakawa? It's just as I said... Michiru is helping me with my work.

SPIDER: That's a good girl, Michiru. I'm fine now. The bad man will be gone soon.

0:15:08
GANG: He's makin' fun of us!

GANG: Take this!

0:15:24
GANG: On your feet!

0:15:41
GANG: What's wrong with you!?

MICHIRU: Stop it! Stop it, please! Just let him go home!

SPIDER: Michiru asked you nicely. Throw the troublemaker out.

0:16:08
HAYAKAWA: Michiru is convinced that Spider is a good person...

HAYAKAWA: If only she knew the kind of man he truly is...

HAYAKAWA: Asuka. What would you do in my place? Should I show her the truth?

HAYAKAWA: Asuka... tell me, please!

0:16:54
SPIDER: Michiru!

MICHIRU: Hi, Uncle Spider!

SPIDER: Would you like to take a drive with me today?

MICHIRU: Really? I'm so happy! Just you wait! I'm going to put on my prettiest dress!

SPIDER: That's my girl!

MICHIRU: Wait for me!

SPIDER: Michiru has become a liability to us. Kill her!

MICHIRU: I'm scared! Save me, Uncle Spider!

SPIDER: Just die like a good girl, Michiru!

MICHIRU: Uncle, I'm sorry for whatever I did wrong! Please forgive me! Uncle Spider!

SPIDER: Three minutes left until three o'clock. I told Hayakawa I'd be killing Michiru at three. He'll be here, I'm sure.

MICHIRU: Let me go, Uncle! I promise I'll work harder at flower-selling! Please forgive me!

SPIDER: Is that him?

0:18:12
SPIDER: Fire!

SPIDER: A trick...

SPIDER: Wait, Hayakawa! One step closer, and Michiru dies!

SPIDER: We got him! Now, to take out Michiru!

0:19:19
SPIDER: What is that thing!?

HAYAKAWA: Flight switch, on!

HAYAKAWA: Stay right there.

0:19:49
SPIDER: Who do you think you are!?

HAYAKAWA: Zu-VATT, I'm on the scene! Zu-VATT, I solve the case! They call me the wandering hero... the Magnificent Zuvatt!

SPIDER: The Magnificent Zuvatt!?

HAYAKAWA: Your cocaine turned people into invalids while you gorged yourself on the profits... and after manipulating the blameless Michiru, you tried to kill her! Crimson Spider, you will pay!

0:21:06
HUSTLER: Die!

0:21:18
HUSTLER: Your cue form... is excellent.

SPIDER: Spare me, please!

HAYAKAWA: Zuvatt Attack!

0:21:51
HAYAKAWA: Crimson Spider! You killed Asuka Goro, didn't you!?

SPIDER: I didn't... I have an alibi for that time...

HAYAKAWA: Then who did it!?

SPIDER: I... don't know...

HAYAKAWA: Asuka... I was wrong again. But I swear, I will find the man who killed you.

CARD: This man is guilty of narcotics dealing and attempted murder.

MICHIRU: Mr. Hayakawa! Please forgive me! I'm sorry!

0:23:22
[Ending Theme]
There is a road that a man must walk
That road is his to walk alone
When he devotes his life to a burning wish
He seeks what lies beyond the mountains

Through love and truth and suffering
The way of battle is like the fires of hell
And though he does not know what lies beyond...
That road is his to walk alone


NARRATOR: Is Asuka Goro's true killer Pirate Kidd!? The wrath of heaven explodes in the southern seas!

NARRATOR: Next time, on The Magnificent Zuvatt: Machine Guns Over the Ocean's Roar!

NARRATOR: And remember, don't try any of these stunts at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment