Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Translation: Alive a Life (Matsumoto Rica)

Here's the first in a line of upcoming SPECIAL REQUEST posts. This is a request from Ryuganon, who wanted a new translation of Alive a Life for his clean-up of Kamen Rider Ryuki subs. I've been wanting to do a translation of this awesome song for a while now, and was very happy to be given an excuse to finally push through and do it.

The lyrics to this song are a bit complicated, so it required a bit of finagling with word order and word choice to try to get the English to have the same impact that the Japanese had while still being comprehensible.

In the end, though, I really love this song; I feel it perfectly encapsulates what the show is about -- particularly from Ren's point of view -- and I hope that comes through in the translation.

Anyway, check it out below the cut! And if you've never had the pleasure of hearing the song, I suggest you check it out here.

Song Title: Alive a Life
Artist: Matsumoto Rica
Series: Kamen Rider Ryuuki

Translation done from kanji (and furigana) found here.

asayake ni tsutsumarete hashiridashita yuku beki michi wo
jounetsu no BEKUTORU ga boku no mune wo tsuranuite yuku
donna kiken ni kizutsuku koto ga atte mo


With the dawning sky around me, I set off down my destined road
Steadfast as I follow through the vector of my passion
No matter how I'm hurt or what dangers assail me

yume yo odore kono hoshi no moto de
nikushimi wo utsushidasu kagami nante kowasu hodo
yume ni mukae mada bukiyou demo
ikiteiru hageshisa wo karadachuu de tashikametai


Dance, my dream! And smash the cursed mirror
That reflects forth the hatred at the core of this world!
I turn to that dream, for as inexperienced as I am now
I want to test the limits of what it means to be alive

taiyou ga toozakaru yami no naka de mayou toki demo
me wo tojite mune ni aru koe wo kikeba susunde yukeru
dare yori tsuyoku inochi no oto wo narashite


When the sun sinks low behind me and I'm lost in the darkness
I listen to the voice within, and find the strength to go on
For the cry of my will to live drowns out all others

ai yo terase kono sora no hate mo
shinjitsu wo madowaseru kagami nante wareba ii
ai wo daite ima kimi no tame ni
shinka suru TAMASHII ga negatte ita mirai wo yobu


Shine, my love! Just shatter the cursed mirror
That brings forth the darkness that leads truth astray!
I embrace that love, because my spirit has evolved
And now it's calling forth the future we longed for

jama ha sasenai
yowaki na sakebi furikaeru na
michi ha haruka tsudzuiteku


Don't allow for distractions
Don't stop for the cries of the weak
There is still a long road ahead of us

kokoro wo atsuku kibou no iro ni moyasou

I'll set my heart burning in the color of hope!

yume yo odore kono hoshi no moto de
nikushimi wo utsushidasu kagami nante kowasu hodo


Dance, my dream! Smash the cursed mirror
That reflects forth the hatred at the core of this world!

ai yo terase kono sora no hate mo
shinjitsu wo madowaseru kagami nante wareba ii
ai wo daite ima kimi no tame ni
shinka suru TAMASHII ga negatte ita mirai wo yobu


Shine, my love! Just break the cursed mirror
That brings forth the darkness that leads truth astray!
I embrace that love, because my spirit has evolved
And now it's calling forth the future we longed for

No comments:

Post a Comment