Monday, September 5, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 1

So hey! I've been super-busy with work for the last few months, but that didn't stop me from briefly entering a week-long fugue state during which I translated all 46 episodes of the anime series Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn, one of my absolute favorite series -- anime or otherwise -- of all time.

Don't worry; I haven't given up on Zuvatt or Gaia. This was more or less a quick, easy project to counter those two more challenging ones, and we'll have more scripts for those in the weeks to come. In fact, you might even notice a few similarities between those series and this one!

I'll go into more depth about the show in later posts. For now, enjoy the script beneath the cut.


[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


TITLE: A Message from the Earth

0:01:59
CLOCK: Wake up! Wake up! Squawk, squawk! Wake up! Wake up! Squawk, squawk!

CLOCKS: Wake up! Wake up! Hurry! Wake up! Wake up! Hurry!

SEIJI: SHUT UP!!

SEIJI: Nighty-night...

0:02:22
HIKARU: Seiji, are you up? Seiji!

SEIJI: Yeah... 'mup...

HIKARU: What do you think you're doing? You'd better finish breakfast before I get over there! I won't forgive you if you make me late again!

SEIJI: Oh no! Is it that time already?

0:02:50
SEIJI: Darn... hit my butt back there...

SEIJI: Yeah!

0:03:00
MISUZU: Good morning, Seiji dear. I had to stay at the station last night to work on a story. I'm sorry I left you all alone again. I hope you made it up alright. Did you put on clean underwear and wash your face? Don't forget to brush your teeth! Did you pack some pocket tissues? I'm sure you made your own breakfast. You're better at it than I am, I know. At least make yourself some toast. Ah? Is that another call? I'll have to call you back...

MISUZU: Good morning, everyone. I am Sakamoto Misuzu, and this is Morning Scoop.

SEIJI: Morning, mom.

0:03:33
SEIJI: It's too weird having mom's voice coming from two places.

MISUZU: We have just received an urgent bulletin. The Global Defense Army has initiated maneuvers in response to an unidentified flying object. There is no official word yet on what the object might be, but we will let you know the moment we have more information.

0:04:02
HIKARU: Seiji, it's time to go! You hear me?

SEIJI: Coming!

HIKARU: Get out here, already!

SEIJI: Comiiing!

SEIJI: Hey, sorry 'bout that.

HIKARU: You unplugged everything, right?

SEIJI: Yep.

HIKARU: And the gas fixtures?

SEIJI: All off!

HIKARU: You didn't leave any faucets running, did you?

SEIJI: Oh no! I forgot to lock the front door!

HIKARU: Oh, come on...

HIKARU: You do this every day. Why can't you get it right the first time?

HIKARU: Oh no! We're going to be late! Hurry up!

NEMOTO: Hey there, kiddies! Late to school again, today?

HIKARU: None of your business!

SEIJI: Hey, someone dropped 5000 yen!

NEMOTO: Huh? Where!?

NEMOTO: Craaaap...

0:04:56
HIKARU: Not again! This happens every time I wait for you. Ah, where are you going now!?

SEIJI: It's a shortcut! I'm showing you my top-secret special shortcut, Hikaru!

HIKARU: Hey, wait up!

0:05:23
HIKARU: Through the temple? Isn't that bad karma? This is a historical site from the Nara Period!

SEIJI: You wanna talk history, or you wanna be on time?

0:05:36
HIKARU: We can't...

SEIJI: Just take off your shoes, hurry!

H&S: Thank you very much!

HIKARU: We're out behind the school!

SEIJI: Whaddya think? Pretty quick, huh?

HIKARU: How long have you known about this?

SEIJI: Feel free to use it whenever you think you'll be late.

HIKARU: No, thank you. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't BE late!

0:06:34
SEIJI: Hey, isn't that Sakurakouji? What's she doin' over there?

HIKARU: The same thing she always does? Come on, let's go.

SEIJI: Huh?

HIKARU: What is it?

SEIJI: Where'd she go? Did she go home?

HIKARU: Couldn't be.

SEIJI: We gotta go!

0:07:10
SEIJI: Hey!

HIKARU: Good morning!

SEIJI: What's going on?

SEIJI: Huh? When did she...

BOY: Hey Takasugi, your mom's on.

MISUZU: We have an update regarding the unidentified flying object...

BOY: She's pretty hot for an old lady.

GIRL: I think it's just a lot of make-up.

BOY: How come she goes by Sakamoto?

GIRL: Idiot! She kept her maiden name, of course.

MISUZU: We've received word that the defense force fighters that engaged the UFO were all destroyed.

MISUZU: We now go live to special correspondent Yamada at the Global Defense Army international headquarters in Australia.

YAMADA: I'm reporting live from the GDO's briefing room. We're about to hear word from Colonel Takasugi with the defense department.

SEIJI: Hey, it's dad.

KID: Huh?

KID: No way!

SEIJI: Yes way! He's my dad!

KID: You gotta be kidding!

REPORTER: Could you give us a report on the situation?

TAKASUGI: I still don't have all the details, but we sent six fighter crafts in pursuit. They entered aerial combat maneuvers with the object, and all were destroyed. We have no choice but to take this as an act of war against the Earth and its people. We of the defense army are currently preparing a counter-attack.

SHIMIZU: To repeat, the six global defense army fighters that were sent in pursuit of the UFO have all been shot down. If the UFO proceeds on its current trajectory, it will soon enter Japanese airspace. The military is preparing strict countermeasures against the impending threat.

KID: Uh-oh!

KID: It's Morisoba!

0:09:19
MORIYAMA: Good morning, everyone. The other teachers and I are having an important conference at the moment, so please study on your own for an hour.

KIDS: Yay!

0:09:45
GIRL: What on Earth!?

GIRL: What is she doing!?

BOY: Shut that window already!! Do it!

SEIJI: What are you doing!?

HOTARU: I hear it.

SEIJI: Huh?

HOTARU: The Earth... is looking for help...

0:10:43
HIKARU: Seiji!

SEIJI: Vrooooom!

HIKARU: Wait!

SEIJI: This is great! I bet classes got cancelled because of the UFO!

HIKARU: Don't even think about running off to play, Seiji! I promised Mr. Moriyama that I would take you to my house!

SEIJI: Who cares what ol' Morisoba says? Look, the town's as peaceful as ever! See?

HIKARU: What's that?

SEIJI: Sakurakouji... what's she doin' up on the roof?

HIKARU: Not there, there!

SEIJI: Huh?

HIKARU: I saw something shining just over the mountain...

SEIJI: Huh? Where?

HIKARU: There!

0:11:36
SEIJI: It's the UFO!

SEIJI: It really is a UFO!

HIKARU: Doesn't it look like... it's heading this way?

SEIJI: Huh?

0:12:05
[Eyecatch]

0:12:23
SEIJI: That way!

HIKARU: Seiji!

SEIJI: It's a UFO!

HIKARU: Seiji, wait!

SEIJI: It's over there!

SEIJI: Hey! We're right here!

HIKARU: What are you doing!?

SEIJI: Hey, what's up?

HIKARU: Don't be an idiot.

SEIJI: He's come a long way, you know? The least we can do is say hi.

HIKARU: I don't think that's our biggest concern, here!

0:13:15
SEIJI: Awesome! It's a robot!

SEIJI: Hey!

HIKARU: I told you to leave it alone!

0:13:45
SEIJI: Hey! Hey, this way!

HIKARU: Seiji, come on! I think we'd better get out of here!

NEMOTO: Attention everyone, it's dangerous here! Please evacuate to a safe place immediately!

NEMOTO: Hikaru, Seiji! What are you doing up there?

0:14:24
NEMOTO: Ow...

SEIJI: Mr. Nemoto!

HIKARU: Come on, we've got to get out of here!

SEIJI: You gotta be kidding! This is crazy!

0:14:50
SEIJI: Hikaru... Hikaru! Hikaru!

SEIJI: Hikaru! Hang on...

SEIJI: Damn it...

SEIJI: Who does that guy think he is?

SEIJI: Who's that? Who's calling me?

0:15:40
SEIJI: You want me to come over there?

0:16:20
SEIJI: What's that? The Earth is... in danger?

SEIJI: You're entrusting me with the power... what does that mean?

SEIJI: To save myself... and all life on Earth... you want me to fight!?

SEIJI: Hey, just where are you!?

SEIJI: Aurin? This is called the Aurin?

0:16:58
SEIJI: What's going on here!?

SEIJI: Hey, what are you...!?

0:19:11
SEIJI: What do you want!? You wanna fight me!? You better watch out!

SEIJI: Stay away! Stay away from me!

DAGARN: My name is Da Garn. Give me your orders, sir.

SEIJI: Orders!? I don't know what you're talking about... I don't have anything you want! Get away!

DAGARN: You are authorized to give me orders. I will act in accordance with those orders. Your orders, sir.

SEIJI: I told you, I don't have any orders... I don't have time for this...

SEIJI: Look, I gotta get my friend home, so...

SEIJI: Bye!

0:19:56
DAGARN: Orders, sir.

SEIJI: What am I supposed to do...

SEIJI: H...

SEIJI: Help me!!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

SEIJI: That was great!

0:20:54
DAGARN: Da Garn Magnum!

0:21:37
SEIJI: Alright! That was awesome!!

REDLONE: Where did that robot come from? There was no mention of such technology in the data we collected about the Earth...

ROBOT: Indeed there was not... the data includes no evidence whatsoever of such a robot existing on Earth...

REDLONE: How interesting. To think that someone on this backwater planet might dare to stand against me...

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: Looks like I'm the commander of a robot who protects the Earth! I dunno how this happened, but I'll get the job done! But... I can't tell anyone? What am I supposed to do when Hikaru gets mad at me!?

SEIJI: Well, whatever! I'll muddle through somehow!

SEIJI: Next time on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! 'The Boy Who Became a Commander'!

SEIJI: I'm gonna fight to protect the Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment