Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 4

In tonight's installment of Da Garn, head writer Gobu Fuyunori (previously of such classics as Raideen and Dragonar, later of G Gundam and GaoGaiGar) indicates that he's not really all that interested in this fetch quest nonsense and gives us two new robots where he only owes us one. He also has Seiji destroying an enemy base... for the first time, but definitely not the last. Oh no sir, definitely not the last.

The episode also presents one of the things I love about Da Garn, which is how little it relies on formula. This episode doesn't feature a special enemy deploy, nor does it feature a big setpiece battle... Da Garn doesn't even combine! Instead, it's all about gorgeous original animation, sweet ground fighting, showing (not telling!) the audience about the enemy's plans, and giving us the earliest signs of Seiji being a pretty decisive and clever commander when he feels like it.

A couple minor translator notes for the curious: "natto" is a fermented soybean paste with an extremely strong flavor and the texture of sticky, stringy cheese. It's a traditional Japanese dish but is a decidedly acquired taste (I can't stand the stuff) and is often presented as the archetypal Food That Children Won't Eat (a la brussel sprouts or spinach among American kids).

Also, Larry's confusion about the cost of Seiji's "game" before the 16:00 mark has to do with the differences between the way English and Japanese count their powers of ten (also known as "the biggest pain in the butt any J-E translator will ever have to deal with"). Since Larry is American, he's understandably uncomfortable with Japanese counting terms and therefore has to count out the zeroes from scratch before he can figure out the dollar amount.

Since the gag doesn't really make sense in English, though, I tweaked it to be a slightly more identifiable problem to English speakers: the complicated equation for converting yen into dollars. (Which just really makes you nostalgic for the days when that equation involved division instead of multiplication, doesn't it?)

As always, the translation lies beneath the cut!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 5th grade at Midorigahama Elementary! I've been entrusted with a tough mission: 'Become the commander of the eight Brave Fighters, and fight to save the Earth!' There are eight of them, but so far I've only awakened Da Garn and Jumbo Saber. Da Garn says the other six are still out there somewhere, sleeping in the form of Brave Stones! I've got to find our remaining allies quick, or else this mysterious robot army's gonna keep getting stronger and wreck up the whole planet! Right, like I'm gonna let THAT happen!!

0:02:14
TITLE: Antarctic Storm

SIGN: Natural Foods Restaurant Tsukushi; Open

HARUO: Here we have a Japanese-style pilaf made from organic vegetables, a brown seaweed and lotus root marinade, and miso soup, hand-made from locally-grown soybeans.

HARUO: Next we have poached eggs laid by free-range chickens. The 100% unprocessed rice has...

SEIJI: Enough. I'll fill up just hearing about it. Here we go!

HARUO: Oh no, not that way! Brown rice must be chewed thirty times before swallowing!

SEIJI: Thirty times!?

TSUKUSHI: Oh, yes. It's bad for your digestion if you don't.

SEIJI: Even though it's all-natural?

TSUKUSHI: You have to chew it more, BECAUSE it's all-natural. The more you chew, the better it is for you.

HARUO: It provides stamina and vitality!

TSUKUSHI: Right, papa?

HARUO: Yep!

SEIJI: Do you always chew it that much?

HIKARU: What are you looking at? Eat up, or else we'll be late!

SEIJI: Uh, right.

SEIJI: What a pain... shoulda had breakfast at my place.

HIKARU: No way. I told your mom I'd look after you.

HARUO: Speaking of Seiji's mother, it's time for the news.

0:03:34
MISUZU: Good morning, everyone. I am Sakamoto Misuzu and this is Morning Scoop.

MISUZU: Attacks by the mysterious robot army are increasing, with raids being reported primarily in the south seas area,

HIKARU: Your mom looks pretty tired out lately.

SEIJI: It's all the big stories happening at once lately. What's that? They're hitting the south seas?

TSUKUSHI: Now that you mention it, her complexion looks awfully poor. She must not be sleeping.

MISUZU: Although reports are still scattered, it is now widely believed that the robot army is part of a larger alien invasion force. In order to avert a possible disaster, the lunar exploration crew has decided to return to Earth in their shuttle.

HARUO: She's no doubt eating poorly, too.

TSUKUSHI: Maybe we should pack her a lunch.

HARUO: Yes, packed full of nutritious treats.

HARUO: Ah, speaking of nutritious treats, there's one thing I forgot!

0:04:11
HARUO: Seiji, I've got some natto straight from Mito! The legendary food beloved by the great gourmand, Tokugawa Mitsukuni himself!

SEIJI: If there's one thing I can't stand, it's natto...

SEIJI: Oh, hey, I'm all full up. Woah, it's gotten pretty late! C'mon, Hikaru, better hurry or we'll be late!

SEIJI: Thanks for the meal! See ya later!

HIKARU: Wait for me!

TSUKUSHI: Oh dear, what a waste of food.

HARUO: And it's so tasty, too...

MISUZU: According to reports, the first wave of shuttles will be transporting valuable objects harvested from the lunar surface. The withdrawal is likely to set lunar research back at least three years.

0:04:56
BOY: Alright! Two hour early dismissal today!

0:05:00
SEIJI: Man, am I hungry. Thanks to that natto I barely got a bite to eat. I'll grab a burger on the way home, then get back to looking for Brave Stones... but how am I even supposed to start looking?

SEIJI: Huh?

SEIJI: Whatcha lookin' at?

HOTARU: Something awful is happening to the south... far to the south... Antarctica, I think...

SEIJI: Antarctica?

0:05:48
SEIJI: Hey, did you see th-- huh? Where'd she go?

HIKARU: Seiji! What are you doing here?

SEIJI: Umm...

HIKARU: You're so weird.

HIKARU: A hamburger? Your cholesterol will go through the roof if you keep eating that stuff.

SEIJI: What's the problem? A guy's gotta eat.

MISUZU: We've just received an urgent bulletin.

SEIJI: Huh? It's mom.

MISUZU: The space shuttle we mentioned earlier has gone missing somewhere over the Antarctic. There is anxiety concerning the safety of the crew.

SEIJI: Went missing over Antarctica?

HIKARU: What is it? Hey, what about your hamburger!?

NEMOTO: Patrol car confirmed! Check! Okay, now time for patrol!

0:06:35
SEIJI: Da Garn! I found another Brave Stone!

DAGARN: Did you?

DAGARN: It's in Antarctica?

SEIJI: Yeah, it's in a shuttle that went missing somewhere over Antarctica.

SEIJI: Jumbo Saber!

SEIJI: I guess that was a little much!

0:07:13
MAN: Scan points B through C!

MAN: Scan complete! No reading!

MAN: Scan points C through D!

MAN: Scan complete! No reading!

MAN: Scan points D through F!

0:07:26
MAN: It's no use, we're not picking up anything.

MAN: We've got a storm moving in! We can't keep up the search in this!

MAN: I'm getting a reading!

MAN: Come in, P34! What do you see?

MAN: It's some kind of robot...

0:08:06
REDLONE: Fools. What am I supposed to do with that piece of junk? Throw it out at once.

REDLONE: This planet's design sense is truly abysmal.

REDLONE: How is its flight capability?

SCHOLAR: A primitive design, barely comparable to a child's toy.

REDLONE: It speaks to the intelligence level of the people here.

REDLONE: No matter. Even if it is a mere child's toy, it is still a curious flying machine. Add it to my collection at once.

REDLONE: Preserve it carefully.

SCHOLAR: Umm...

REDLONE: What?

SCHOLAR: Forgive my impertenence, sir, but this is our front line base. I do not recall building it for the purpose of expanding your collection...

REDLONE: Do you have an objection to my methods?

SCHOLAR: Oh no, no, not at all, sir!

REDLONE: Listen well! Investigating the capabilities of Earth machines is an important part of my work!

REDLONE: I'm just expanding my collection in the process. Do I make myself clear?

SCHOLAR: Yes sir... painfully so...

0:09:17
SOLDIER: General Redlone, are these specimens suitable?

REDLONE: Samples for biological study? I'll make use of them later.

SOLDIER: Sir!

0:09:36
SOLDIER: Your Excellency!

REDLONE: What is it? I'm busy!

SOLDIER: A new flying machine is approaching!

REDLONE: Another piece for my collection?

SEIJI: I'm hungry! I'm starving! I'm dyin' here!

JUMBO: You've been complaining all trip. What shall I do, sir?

SEIJI: Find a convenience store or something!

JUMBO: I don't think we'll find one here, sir.

SEIJI: Well, there's gotta be some place on the South Pole with people!

JUMBO: Yes, sir!

0:10:05
LARRY: It's a jumbo jet, Commander!

CLARK: What's it doing out in this weather?

LARRY: What the heck? It's a police car!

SEIJI: Greetings!

0:10:34
LARRY: With a equipment like that, this guy's gotta be something special... he's the son of some rich guy or something.

LARRY: Huh? I've seen that symbol before!

CLARK: Just what have you come here for? I'm sure you didn't come to Antarctica just for the food.

SEIJI: I'm here looking for the missing space shuttle.

CLARK: A shuttle's disappeared?

SEIJI: You haven't heard?

CLARK: We've had a lot of interference in the area, lately. We can't even use the radio.

SEIJI: So you didn't hear the news this morning...

LARRY: Commander, you think this has something to do with that strange fleet we saw?

SEIJI: Strange fleet? Maybe it's them...

CLARK: Them?

SEIJI: You haven't heard that either? The mysterious robot army that attacked Japan.

CLARK: I had no idea!

SEIJI: You're really in the dark up here. How long have you been without radio?

CLARK: Since about four days ago, when the mysterious fleet first appeared.

SEIJI: I wonder if they've got a base here or something.

LARRY: Ah! I just remembered!

CLARK: What is it?

LARRY: I saw that symbol at the excavation site not far from here!

SEIJI: Huh? Something like the symbol here?

LARRY: Yeah! I'm sure it was the same!

SEIJI: Wait, really? Where is it!? Take me to it!

CLARK: Just who is that boy?

0:12:04
[Eyecatch]

LARRY: It should be about 5km from here... but what's up with this car? It's got autopilot?

SEIJI: Pretty much.

LARRY: There sure are a lot of crazy rich people out there.

SEIJI: Rich people? Me?

LARRY: Yeah, I pieced it together. This is all a game or something, right? I know how you rich people play it.

SEIJI: I think this guy's got the wrong idea... but oh well.

LARRY: Hey, we stopped. Did the car break down?

SEIJI: I think we're here.

LARRY: No way. We just left!

LARRY: Man! What a fast car!

LARRY: This looks like the place... I saw it when I was bringing dinner to the workers here.

LARRY: Here it is!

LARRY: See? That's it, right?

SEIJI: Yeah! It's gotta be a Brave Stone!

LARRY: A Brave Stone?

SEIJI: Don't look!

SEIJI: Da Garn! Transform and get down here!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:13:53
DAGARN: What is it, Seiji?

LARRY: No way!

SEIJI: Da Garn, smash this rock! There's a Brave Stone inside it!

DAGARN: Yes, sir.

0:14:13
SEIJI: It's reacting to the Aurin, but it's not activating!

DAGARN: There's nothing here for the Brave Fighter to dwell in.

SEIJI: I see... I guess it'll have to stay like this for a while.

LARRY: Just what the heck is going on here!? Where did this robot come from!? And what is a Brave Fighter!?

SEIJI: This is all a game. Like you said earlier. It's... an RPG.

LARRY: An RPG? But you play it by really riding around in cars and summoning robots and stuff?

SEIJI: Yeah, well... my family's rich, y'know...

JUMBO: Captain! Enemies have appeared at the base!

SEIJI: What?

LARRY: What's this? A cutscene?

JUMBO: They're about to carry me off! I'm going to transform!

SEIJI: Wait! Don't transform!

JUMBO: Why not?

DAGARN: Seiji, what do you have in mind?

SEIJI: Let them take you! Then we'll trace you back to their base!

JUMBO: I see! I understand. I'll let them carry me off, then.

SEIJI: Okay, let's follow Jumbo Saber!

LARRY: Hey, lemme in on this. I'm great at video games! It's all I do at the base when I'm not working.

SEIJI: Look, I am NOT--

LARRY: C'mon, let me play!

SEIJI: It costs a lot to sign up.

LARRY: How much!?

SEIJI: A million... no, a BILLION yen!

LARRY: A billion yen!? How much is that in dollars?

SEIJI: Da Garn! Car form!

LARRY: Chop two zeroes off the end... then divide by...

SEIJI: Hey, get in!

0:16:10
LARRY: Huh!? Your game costs eighty million dollars!?

JUMBO: This is Jumbo Saber. I'm being carried into a crevice roughly 120km southeast of the base.

SEIJI: Got it! Just stay quiet until we get there.

0:16:50
SEIJI: So they built a base here, huh?

DAGARN: Are we going to destroy it?

SEIJI: Yeah. Jumbo Saber! Transform!

0:17:17
SEIJI: The shuttle and the fighter jet...

SHUTTLE: That's right! Captain, my name is Shuttle Saber!

JET: I am Jet Saber, sir! A pleasure to meet you, Commander!

SEIJI: Shuttle Saber and Jet Saber?

DAGARN: It seems that two of our companions have revived.

SEIJI: What are those voices?

JET: Sir! They are the pilots that were riding in Shuttle Saber and I.

SEIJI: So there are hostages, too? Okay! Sabers, take on your robot forms and destroy this base! In the meantime, Da Garn and I will save those hostages!

SABERS: Yes, sir!

SEIJI: That was great!

0:18:31
SCHOLAR: General Redlone! BZZT! Enemy robots have just appeared inside our base! BZZT!

REDLONE: Enemy robots?

REDLONE: It is them! Where could they have come from?

DAGARN: Change!

0:19:13
SEIJI: Looks like it's all robots here...

MEN: What's that robot!? Is he here to help us!? What is this!?

DAGARN: I'm here to save you. Please stand back.

MEN: Let's get out of here!

MAN: Who are you?

DAGARN: I have no time to explain. We must leave this place. Please follow me.

SEIJI: We've saved the captured people. Get them all on board Jumbo Saber, then begin departure preparations.

JUMBO: Yes sir!

JUMBO: Shuttle Saber! Jet Saber! Let's finish them off!

JET: Right!

SHUTTLE: Roger!

JUMBO: Jumbo Tornado!

SHUTTLE: Shuttle Blast!

JET: Jet Disposer!

SCHOLAR: General, sir, I suggest we retreat.

REDLONE: Fool! We do not retreat... we relocate.

MAN: What's a jumbo jet doing in a place like this!?

0:20:36
JUMBO: What is that!?

REDLONE: I only regret having to abandon our front line base so soon. Take care of them.

SEIJI: Da Garn! Hold it off while Jumbo Saber makes his retreat!

DAGARN: Jumbo Saber! Leave the enemies to us. You get those people to safety!

JUMBO: Yes, sir!

DAGARN: This is bad! There's a powerful bomb mounted inside it! Jumbo Saber, hurry!

JUMBO: Got it!

0:21:53
LARRY: Man, I wanna play that game...

SEIJI: I wonder if their whole army's nothing but robots?

DAGARN: No, there was one non-Earthling life sign among them.

SEIJI: A life sign? So there's a person out there sending the robots after us?

DAGARN: It appears so.

SEIJI: Wow, the sky is so blue...

SEIJI: I never knew it could be so blue...

DAGARN: This is the true beauty of the Earth. This is the beauty we are fighting to protect.

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: There's been a cave-in at a tunnel in Australia! And an eerie shadow hangs over the site... ugh, I hate ghost stories! On top of that, I've got Sakurakouji's saying all these weird things...

SEIJI: Okay, I guess I'll just go down there and solve this mystery! Ghost or robot, I'll take you all on!

SEIJI: Next time on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! The Dinosaur Graveyard! I'm the commander, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment