Thursday, September 8, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 5

A little more Da Garn for the day. This is one of those episodes where I used to get a little thrill, because the show storyboard and mecha scene direction were done by Fukuda Mitsuo and Hisayuki Hirokazu, the director-artist team who would go on to work together on the Cyber Formula OAVs and GEAR Fighter Dendoh (my other favorite mecha show), before being consigned to their respective black holes of Gundam SEED and Mai HiME.

Whether or not it has anything to do with those two, there's some pretty great little animation moments in this episode; I particularly love the body language and timing on the scene with Seiji sneaking around the police car. There's a lot to be said for cool-looking fight scenes, but I love a show that invest just as much money and effort into the little moments between them.

Script below the cut!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 5th grade at Midorigahama Elementary! I've been entrusted with a tough mission: 'Become the commander of the eight Brave Fighters, and fight to save the Earth!' But so far I've only awakened Da Garn and the three Sabers! The others are still sleeping somewhere as Brave Stones.

SEIJI: It also turns out the enemy has been investigating the Earth from a base they built right under our noses! We smashed it up, of course, but still! There's no way of knowing where they'll strike next! There's a ton of 'em, so if don't get all my allies soon, the Earth's gonna be in real trouble!

0:02:12
TITLE: The Dinosaur Graveyard

SCHOLAR: What do you think, General Redlone? The ultimate machine, configured especially to destroy the Earth robots.

REDLONE: It's beautiful.

SCHOLAR: Unfortunately, completion will require a particular type of gemstone. Worry not, however. We've discovered rich vein of it roughly a thousand meters below this point.

REDLONE: Very well. Deploy the subterranean-specialized Angran robots at once.

SCHOLAR: Yes sir!

REDLONE: Show me the schematics for that ultimate machine once more.

SCHOLAR: Sir.

REDLONE: Add a great plume to the top of its head.

SCHOLAR: Huh?

REDLONE: It will make it more beautiful.

0:03:27
JUMBO: This is Jumbo Saber. I'm not getting any Brave Stone readings here in the southern hemisphere. How about where you are?

JET: Nothing here, either. Shuttle Saber, how about you?

SHUTTLE: No readings here, either.

JUMBO: As you overheard, Da Garn, we haven't located any more Brave Stones.

DAGARN: Four Brave Stones remain. We must locate them at all costs.

JUMBO: Yes, sir!

DAGARN: I'm counting on all of you!

SABERS: Yes, sir!

DAGARN: Our commander says that he'll rejoin the search once he replenishes his energy supply.

0:04:07
HARUO: Here you are, Seiji! It's our specialty, fresh green salad made from organic vegetables?

SEIJI: Wow, that looks great!

HIKARU: Oh please! You only come here for dinner when you're too lazy to cook for yourself.

SEIJI: Shaddup! Sometimes I just don't feel like cooking.

TSUKUSHI: I understand how you feel, Seiji. I don't like cooking, either.

HARUO: That's how I ended up cooking every day.

TSUKUSHI: And you fell in love with cooking...

HARUO: And the next thing we knew, we'd opened up this restaurant...

TSUKUSHI: It reminds me of when we were newlyweds, papa...

HARUO: Yes it does... Tsukushi...

SEIJI: Hey Hikaru... have I ever told you your parents are weird?

HIKARU: Yeah, I think so too sometimes.

MISUZU: We interrupt your programming to bring you a live bulletin.

HIKARU: Hey Seiji, it's your mom!

0:05:07
MISUZU: Just before dawn today, an massive cave-in occurred at the construction site for the new Oceania Coastal Tunnel in Australia.

MISUZU: We've just received a video recording from the site. This video was taken from one of the tunnel's remaining construction robots. Let's watch.

SEIJI: Woah... that looks bad...

SEIJI: Hey, Hikaru, did you see...

0:05:45
TSUKUSHI: Australia is... here, isn't it?

HARUO: Australia is a major exporter of fine wheat and sugar! I'd love to go to there in search of delicious new vegetables!

HIKARU: I know! Let's go to Australia for our family trip in the spring!

TSUKUSHI: Oh yes, let's!

HARUO: We don't have the money for that!

SEIJI: What was that thing I saw?

DAGARN: I see. You're sure you saw something at the cave-in site?

SEIJI: Yeah.

DAGARN: If what you saw was an enemy robot, this could be very bad. Searching for the Brave Stones is important, but it is secondary to our mission of protecting the Earth.

SEIJI: Yeah! Then let's go investigate!

DAGARN: Yes, sir.

SEIJI: Wait, hang on a sec...

DAGARN: What is it, Seiji?

SEIJI: Mr. Nemoto just got back...

0:06:47
NEMOTO: Who's there? Show yourself!

SEIJI: This is bad.

NEMOTO: You're the one who keeps stealing and returning my patrol car, aren't you!?

NEMOTO: You can't hide forever! Come out!

SEIJI: I don't have a choice.

SEIJI: Let's do this...

SEIJI: GRAHHH, RAHHH!!

NEMOTO: Wait, you! Oh no... I think I threw my back out...

SEIJI: Sorry, Mr. Nemoto!

0:07:43
SEIJI: S... Sakurakouji...

HOTARU: Takasugi. I need to speak with you.

SEIJI: Speak... with me?

SEIJI: Ancient souls?

HOTARU: Yes... ancient souls who went to sleep long ago... they need help. They're crying, "leave us alone."

SEIJI: Look, could you give me some more detail here? I seriously don't know what you're talking about.

HOTARU: I don't know any more than that either. But... ever since I was little, I was able to sense the feelings of flowers and trees and insects and things...

SEIJI: No way! That's just crazy...

SEIJI: Sorry, I just don't believe it.

SEIJI: Hey, Sakurakouji... why are you telling me all this?

HOTARU: I just had a feeling... that you would understand.

SEIJI: Hey!

0:09:20
NEMOTO: I'm sorry for disturbing you so late at night...

TSUKUSHI: Neighbors help neighbors. Don't think anything of it.

NEMOTO: Y-Yes ma'am! Thank you so much! Oh no...

HIKARU: Oh please, you're pitiful.

NEMOTO: Have mercy, Hikaru. First of all, the guy I was facing was like six foot five, arms as thick as tree trunks and screaming like a maniac! Oh, and he was also a karate master! He was all HII-YAH, YAH YAH YAH as he came after me!

0:09:56
SEIJI: That worked perfectly! Now, off to Australia! Earth Fighter!

SEIJI: Check that out! I've got the world's only flying police car!

MAN: We have an emergency, captain!

CAPTAIN: What is it?

MAN: There's something blocking our way... a... a train is running on the water!

CAPTAIN: What!?

0:10:56
DAGARN: Seiji, we'll be nearing our destination soon. What's wrong, Seiji?

SEIJI: Oh, nothing! I heard you.

SEIJI: Ancient souls, crying... just what was Sakurakouji talking about?

SEIJI: Hey Da Garn, check that out! That's the headquarters of the Global Defense Army! That's where my dad works! How's about we drop in and say hi?

DAGARN: I cannot accept that order. Our identity must remain a secret.

SEIJI: I know, I know. It was just a joke.

DAGARN: Seiji, we might be able to circle the building at high enough altitude that we wouldn't be detected by radar...

SEIJI: You're pretty considerate, for a robot.

SEIJI: Okay, Da Garn! Full speed ahead to the construction site!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:12:19
[Eyecatch]

SEIJI: What's that?

DAGARN: It's a state-of-the-art underground tank used in the digging of tunnels.

SEIJI: Say, that's cool...

DAGARN: Seiji, we don't have time to admire it. We're almost to the site.

SEIJI: Got it. Let's go, Da Garn!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:12:49
REPORTER: Are you saying you still have no idea what caused the cave-in?

WORKER: Well, there's nothing about the topography that would cause such a thing...

SEIJI: I'll go on alone from here. If I get in trouble, back me up, okay?

DAGARN: Yes, sir. Be careful.

SEIJI: Sure thing.

WORKER: And that's all I know...

0:13:29
SEIJI: I'm going in a little further.

DAGARN: Roger.

SEIJI: What are these things...

SEIJI: Dinosaur bones...

SEIJI: Are these the 'ancient souls' Sakurakouji was talking about?

SEIJI: Wow... it's almost like he's watching over his old comrades...

SEIJI: What's that sound?

REDLONE: What is this?

SCHOLAR: Sir. The bones of ancient organisms that once inhabited the planet.

REDLONE: Angran, out only concern is the gemstones needed to create the ultimate machine! Begin your work immediately!

SEIJI: So those guys ARE behind the cave-in!

SEIJI: Help me, Da Garn!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

DAGARN: Change!

0:15:23
DAGARN: Seiji, your next order.

SEIJI: Okay! Defeat the enemy robot... but be careful not to destroy the dinosaur bones.

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

REDLONE: What? What is that robot doing here!? Angran! Bury that unsightly thing!

SEIJI: What's wrong, Da Garn? You gotta get in there and fight!

DAGARN: The cave is too narrow. I can't fight without destroying the bones!

SEIJI: Okay! In that case, we'll combine into Da Garn X to finish it quick! Earth Liner! Earth Fighter!

SEIJI: What's wrong? Where are they?

REDLONE: Angrans! Draw in closer! Melt him down to a simple lump of metal!

REDLONE: It's all over! We've won!

SEIJI: The dinosaur's coming back to life?

SEIJI: The Aurin...

SEIJI: Brave Stones! There were Brave Stones buried underneath the dinosaur!

0:18:00
DRILL: The name's Drill Lander! I specialize in underground maneuvers. Pleased to meetcha!

BIG: I'm Big Lander! Don't mean to brag, but I'm your go-to guy for power!

BIG: Hey, Boss!

SEIJI: Boss? Me?

DRILL: You see anyone else around here? Get a load of this putz.

BIG: C'mon, Boss, give us orders already!

SEIJI: These guys are a little rough around the edges...

SEIJI: Okay! Get these guys out onto the surface!

BIG: That's all? Piece of cake! C'mon, Drill Lander!

DRILL: Let's go!

BIG: What's next, Boss?

SEIJI: Isn't it obvious? Smash the bad guys!

SEIJI: Da Garn, time to combine!

0:19:27
DAGARN: Combine! Da Garn X!

DRILL: Drill Cannon!

BIG: Spike Shoot!

DAGARN: Da Garn Blade!

0:20:06
SCHOLAR: A pity. Without that special gemstone, our plans to create the ultimate machine have are as dust on the wind.

REDLONE: Silence!

SCHOLAR: Too bad! Too bad! BZZT!

REDLONE: You'll pay for this... I'll get you next time...

0:20:33
SEIJI: Da Garn... I know it just looked like the skeleton was moving because of the Brave Stones... but I wonder if he really was trying to protect his friends' bones.

DAGARN: I cannot say. But the Earth we protect does not exist solely for those living on it now. We also fight for those who went extinct in the course of its long history.

SEIJI: I see...

HOTARU: Ancient souls who went to sleep long ago... they're crying, saying "leave us alone."

SEIJI: Everyone, let's put these guys back to sleep. Let's reward them for watching over the Brave Stones all these years!

ALL: Yes, sir!

SEIJI: Hey! I'm leaving things to you, down there! You better take good care of your friends!

0:21:51
SEIJI: Sorry, sorry!

HIKARU: Come on! Every time I wait for you I end up being late!

SEIJI: I can't help it! I had a busy day yesterday!

SEIJI: Come on, let's get going already!

HOTARU: They said... 'thank you.'

SEIJI: Huh?

HIKARU: What was that all about?

SEIJI: Oh yeah? 'Thank you,' huh?

0:22:20
HIKARU: What was THAT!? Why do you ALWAYS turn into an idiot the second a girl talks to you?

SEIJI: Hey, Hikaru... what are you angry about?

HIKARU: If you don't know, I'm not telling!

SEIJI: Hey wait, Hikaru! Wait up, Hikaruuuu!

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: There are just two Brave Stones left! I gotta spend every night searching for them, but no one cuts me any slack! This whole set-up stinks. In that case, I'm gonna go have some fun! Yeah! I'm going to England to see an F1 race! Woo-hoo, F1!

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! 'The Eighth Brave Fighter'! The commander's got a hard life, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment