Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 20

Some episodes of Da Garn are so perfectly like Super Robot Wars missions that it's hard to believe they were not made specifically in loving homage to the venerable game series -- though, since the first games only came out a year before this series, that seems highly unlikely.

At any rate, this episode features two of our robots holding off the enemy for X number of turns while our SS-sized hero settles things in a cutscene. It also features some delightful adherence to terrain types, of which I will say nothing but that I once again adore this show's attention to detail.

The script is beneath the cut. But you knew that, right?

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 6th grade! I'm the commander of the Brave Fighters who protect the Earth! Brave Fighters are like avatars of the planet's will. They rose up to destroy invaders from space!

SEIJI: However! It turns out they've been hiding right here our town! The ringmaster of the circus turned out to be that Butcho guy! He had a space ship hidden underneath the tent, even! Man! He's SO gonna pay for betraying our friendship! I'm gonna get my hands on him, and we're gonna finish this!

0:02:12
TITLE: Butcho's Last Stand

HIKARU: Oh no! What is that thing!?

MISUZU: People of Japan! This is a true sight to behold! A massive space ship was hidden beneath Midorgahama!

DAGARN: Pegasus Saber, be prepared for anything.

PEGASUS: Right!

SEIJI: What is that?

MISUZU: The spaceship is retreating! It's been forced to retreat by Da Garn and the robots!

0:03:11
DOLL: I knew that you were a useless piece of trash, but I have to commend you for sinking to a new low.

BUTCHO: Please don't be angry, My Lady. I've never been suited to your more subtle strategic style...

LADY: Are you saying that I'm not suited to be your commanding officer?

BUTCHO: Oh, no! That's not what I meant!

LADY: Oh, but I agree. I've thought that was the case for a long time now. I'm so glad we agree.

BUTCHO: Forgive me, My Lady! I'll finish them off properly now! Forgive my failure just one last time!

LADY: You don't need to apologize to me. You no longer work for me, after all.

BUTCHO: My Lady! I beg you!

LADY: 'My Lady, My Lady'... I'm sick of your groveling!

BUTCHO: Forgive... me...

LADY: I never want to see your ugly face again! Crawl under a rock and die, like the toad you are!

RINGMASTER: Wait, please, M'Lady! Just... just one more chance, please!

RINGMASTER: Of all th' luck... Seven Changer! Seven Changer! Respond, please!

SEVEN: What is it now?

RINGMASTER: Lady Pinky has abandoned me! Please, speak t' her on my behalf! Please, I beg ya!

SEVEN: I can't do that. Lord Ohboss has ordered me not to assist you anymore.

RINGMASTER: He did!?

SEVEN: So there's no one left to help you anymore. Nothing personal.

RINGMASTER: Ah, wait! Seven Changer! Seven Changer!!

COMPUTER: Lord Butcho, pull yourself together.

RINGMASTER: They all think I'm useless... from now on I'm doing whatever I want!

BUTCHO: I'll show them what the great Butcho can do!

0:05:29
MISUZU: The massive spaceship that appeared over Midorigahama has evaded all detection since escaping from the atmosphere. The Global Defense Army is currently taking measures to...

TSUKUSHI: What a shock it was. I can hardly believe the Ringmaster could be such a bad man.

PINKY: It's all my fault. If only I had paid more attention...

HIKARU: It's not your fault. You didn't know.

SEIJI: I'll get that guy for betraying our friendship!

HARUO: Look... look outside!

0:06:15
PILOT: E-Eject!

0:06:33
NEMOTO: Everyone, take shelter inside! Quickly!

BUTCHO: Now, it's only a matter of time until Da Garn shows up.

HOTARU: Please stop. Return to your own worlds. This is not where you belong.

BUTCHO: Hey... it's that girl again. Just as gloomy as ever, I see.

COMPUTER: Quite your type, isn't she, Lord Butcho?

BUTCHO: Don't say it like that, you're making me blush!

BUTCHO: Lillian dear, Lauren dear... go fetch her for me.

0:07:34
POLICE: It's no use! Withdraw!

SEIJI: Da Garn, you gotta clear out those monsters!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

SEIJI: Sabers, Landers, combine and come here!

BIG: We're coming, boss!

JUMBO: Roger!

HAWK: Yes, sir!

DAGARN: Change! Da Garn!

HAWK: Da Garn! The enemy boss is heading this way!

0:08:14
SEIJI: So he's back...

HAWK: Commander, look there!

SEIJI: Hotaru!

SEIJI: Pegasus Saber, save Hotaru! She's the reason you're here!

PEGASUS: Yes, sir!

SEIJI: What's that!?

0:08:54
PEGASUS: What!?

SEIJI: Oh no!

BUTCHO: Oh, Geraldine m'dear! Sorry if th' ride was bumpy.

HOTARU: Geraldine?

RINGMASTER: It's th' name I thought up for you! I had quite a time thinking up a good one! No, no, no need to thank me! Step right this way, m'dear!

PEGASUS: Saber Arrow!

BISON: Land Cannon!

SEIJI: We did it!

0:09:54
SEIJI: They're back!?

DAGARN: Seiji, they're combining with the aid of the carrier's beam!

SEIJI: So we need to destroy that thing first!?

SEIJI: Da Garn! Time to combine!

DAGARN: Combine! Da Garn X!

SEIJI: Da Garn! Try to lead them over the ocean! They'll destroy the town at this rate!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

SEIJI: Pegasus Saber, carry Land Bison and me onto the carrier!

PEGASUS: Yes, sir!

DAGARN: Seiji, it's too dangerous!

SEIJI: We've gotta strike 'em at the source! Besides, I gotta save Hotaru!

RINGMASTER: Whaddya think, Geraldine dear? When I pull out th' stops, even Da Garn can't stand against me.

RINGMASTER: Some day, I'll be th' ruler of the whole Universe! They might all be ignoring me now... but I'll climb up all th' ranks, and make m'self an empire of Armored Beasts!

RINGMASTER: And the only inhabitants will be my sweet li'l pets! To them, I am th' supreme ruler! I am God himself!

RINGMASTER: My pets'll never turn against me! If I tell 'em to die, they'll die for me! They'll never insult me or say mean things! Then, using them, I'll built m'new empire across the whole universe!

RINGMASTER: That's m'grand dream for the future! Whaddya think? Exciting, isn't it?

COMPUTER: Lord Butcho. The enemy robots are approaching rapidly.

RINGMASTER: Oh, I see! I was hoping they would!

[Eyecatch]

0:12:15
PEGASUS: Hold on tight, Commander!

DAGARN: Earth Vulcan!

PEGASUS: Are you okay, Da Garn?

DAGARN: I'm just fine, Pegasus Saber.

0:13:04
BISON: Let's go, boss!

BISON: What!?

SEIJI: Land Bison!

RINGMASTER: Struggle all ya like! You'll never leave this ship alive!

HOTARU: You poor thing.

RINGMASTER: Eh? Didja say something, dear?

HOTARU: I feel so sorry for you.

RINGMASTER: What was that?

0:13:48
SEIJI: Big Lander!

BIG: Go on without me, boss!

SEIJI: But...

BIG: You don't have time to save me. Get moving already!

SEIJI: Hang in there! We'll be back soon!

0:14:20
BUTCHO: You'd better be careful what you say to me! You know what will happen if you make me angry!?

HOTARU: You don't understand the value of life.

BUTCHO: The value of life?

HOTARU: Those who treat lives as toys will become the toys of others.

BUTCHO: What a useless thing to say.

COMPUTER: Lord Butcho! Please input your next attack order!

BUTCHO: I'm in the middle of something, here! Shaddap!

SEIJI: Hey! Hotaru! Where are you!?

SEIJI: What's that?

0:15:18
SEIJI: Where are we?

TURBO: It's a map of the ship, boss!

SEIJI: Great! What a break!

MACH: Make it quick, boss.

SEIJI: I know, I know!

SEIJI: There they are!

0:15:40
DRILL: It looks like the firing mechanism for the combination device is at the center of the ship!

SEIJI: Alright! Drill Lander, Mach Lander, you go destroy the firing mechanism! Turbo Lander, you're with me!

LANDERS: Yes, sir!

0:16:00
BUTCHO: The strong exist to control the weak! The weak exist to be tools for the strong! That's the law of the universe!

HOTARU: And so you've been tossed out like a broken tool.

BUTCHO: Shut up! Shut up! This is why I hate you smart-mouthed humans! You're always telling me what to do!

BUTCHO: Stop it! Don't look at me like that!

BUTCHO: Didn't you hear me!? I said stop it!

0:16:52
RINGMASTER: You're a curious person, m'dear.

COMPUTER: Lord Butcho, the Pest is heading straight for the bridge!

RINGMASTER: What was that!?

SEIJI: Hurry it up, Turbo Lander!

TURBO: Got it!

SEIJI: What!?

TURBO: Boss, leave 'em to me!

SEIJI: Thanks!

TURBO: Good luck gettin' past me, clowns!

RINGMASTER: You idiot! Junk! Useless trash! What were you doing this whole time!? Well don't worry. I still got m'trump card.

RINGMASTER: Guess this is just th' kinda guy I am. 's nothing personal.

SEIJI: Hotaru!

RINGMASTER: Welcome, m'brave little Pest! I've been waiting t' see you!

SEIJI: Ringmaster! Return Hotaru to me!

RINGMASTER: You want 'er, come get 'er!

RINGMASTER: I thought I could tame 'er and make 'er mine, but I'm all through! C'mon, Pest, if you don't want 'er hurt, best surrender to me!

0:18:17
DRILL: So this is what's firing that beam? If we smash this, the monsters can't combine anymore.

MACH: So let's break it good!

DRILL: Yeah!

BUTCHO: What's that!?

SEIJI: Hotaru!

0:18:48
SEIJI: Hotaru!

DAGARN: Seiji did it!

PEGASUS: Okay!

PEGASUS: Do it, Da Garn!

DAGARN: I will! Breast Earth Flash!

RINGMASTER: You... y' got me this time, Pest...

SEIJI: I'd say this makes us even, Ringmaster.

RINGMASTER: Even?

BUTCHO: Are you sure about that!?

SEIJI: Wait, time out!

BUTCHO: It's too late for that!

0:19:54
SEIJI: What do we do?

BUTCHO: You're not going anywhere!

0:20:12
SEIJI: Someone save me!

SEIJI: We're safe. Thanks, Da Garn!

BUTCHO: You'll pay for this, Pest...

TURBO: Think you maybe went too far?

DRILL: Like you coulda done it better.

0:20:55
BUTCHO: Curse you! Answer me! Why won't you answer me!?

BUTCHO: My kingdom... my dream... it wasn't supposed to be this way...

VIOLECHE: Such an unrealistic dream could have no other outcome.

BUTCHO: You! What are you doing here!?

VIOLECHE: Lord Ohboss sent me... to dispose of a certain useless underling.

BUTCHO: D-Dispose of me!?

HOTARU: Those who treat lives as toys will become the toys of others.

BUTCHO: Wait... wait! I'm not ready! I'm not ready yet!!

SEIJI: Alright! Take that, punk!

HOTARU: Poor thing...

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: We won! We beat Butcho and the Earth is safe again! The commander who protected the Earth is now a famous superhero! Gosh, I'm blushing... huh? Another robot is attacking the town? No way! So there's someone else hiding here!?

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! 'The Cat in the Darkness'! I'm the REAL commander, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment