Friday, September 16, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 21

Hey, look! Another character I love translating for! As if the show didn't have enough of those already. Incidentally, this is the episode that broke me the first time I tried to translate this series, so I'm really glad I have the chance to do it over again and this time make all the awesome villain banter not sound awkward as butt.

I had a strong urge to translate this episode title "Troll Cat is Troll." I would never actually do something like that, of course, but watch the episode and I think you'll understand why the urge was so strong.

Check out the script beneath the cut!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 6th grade! I'm the commander of the Brave Fighters who protect the Earth! Brave Fighters are like avatars of the planet's will. They awoke from their long slumber to destroy invaders from space!

SEIJI: We beat this robot-crazy guy named Redlone who said he was here to 'take our planet's life,' then destroyed the spaceship of this animal freak named Butcho! Me and my Brave Fighters are unbeatable! It sure was a shock to learn that Butcho was the ringmaster of the local circus, but with him gone, I guess my town's safe again!

0:02:12
TITLE: The Cat in the Darkness

NEMOTO: Stay back! Stay back, please!

0:02:34
MISUZU: Investigators from the Global Defense Army have just arrived on the scene. Are you seeing this, everyone? This massive sinkhole opened at the center of the residential district of Midorigahama just hours ago. This hole is the only race remaining of the presence of the invaders' spaceship. This string of incidents in Midorigahama may be only the first signs of an unprecedented threat facing our entire planet.

TSUKUSHI: It really is worrisome. I can't believe that big scary spaceship was hiding underneath the circus tent.

SEIJI: No kidding. Not to mention that the Ringmaster was was an alien, and that he was that Butcho guy!

PINKY: What a fool I was. I spent all that time with him and never even realized.

HIKARU: He was a real jerk for tricking you that whole time, Pinky.

HARUO: There are men in the world who have no qualms about lying to a woman!

TSUKUSHI: Don't look glum, Miss Pinky. It's nothing a little fishwort cake won't cure.

PINKY: Thank you ma'am.

HIKARU: So just what happened to that Butcho guy?

SEIJI: How is Pinky s'posed to know that? C'mon.

0:04:08
PINKY: How did you get in here? Get out of here.

PINKY: You impudent creature!

PINKY: Get out of here, I said!

VIOLETCHE: Goodness, how cold you are.

VIOLETCHE: Don't look at me like that. You've seen stranger things, haven't you?

PINKY: You... you're Violetche!

VIOLETCHE: How have you been? It was quite uncooperative of you to come to Earth without telling me, you know.

PINKY: So when did YOU get to Earth? Did you come here... with Lord Ohboss?

VIOLETCHE: What a charming room you have. Why don't we work together on this one?

PINKY: I asked how long you've been on Earth.

VIOLETCHE: That hardly matters, don't you think? But it should interest you to know that Lord Ohboss is making his way to Earth.

PINKY: Lord Ohboss... are you serious!?

VIOLETCHE: Why would I lie about that?

VIOLETCHE: You seem quite calm... despite having achieved nothing in your time here.

PINKY: I don't have to make excuses to you.

VIOLETCHE: Allow me to give you a piece of advice. My job is to report to Lord Ohboss.

PINKY: So what?

VIOLETCHE: Just take care that you don't end up like that fool Butcho.

PINKY: Wait, you're saying... you killed Butcho?

VIOLETCHE: A lady never tells.

0:05:55
PINKY: This is bad. This is very bad. If Lord Ohboss has sent his Auditor here, that means he's taken a personal interest in the conquest of Earth.There's no question that he eliminated Butcho. I have to think of something, quickly.

LADY: I have an urgent mission for all of you! The search for those filthy robots and their leader will restart from square one, and this time we'll be thorough! It is time for us to take an active role in this battle!

SERVANT: If I may, Lady Pinky, I acquired some interesting information earlier.

LADY: What is it? Spit it out, man.

SERVANT: Our Lord Butcho's--

LADY: Don't call him Lord! Call him Filthy Butcho!

SERVANT: Yes ma'am. It appears that part of Filthy Butcho's base still remains.

LADY: What?

SERVANT: Shall I begin an investigation?

LADY: I will go with you.

0:07:38
LADY: This appears to be the sub-computer room.

COMPUTER: Welcome, Hysterical Pinky.

SERVANT: It appears the computer survived.

LADY: We'll see if he makes it through the night.

LADY: You. Give me all the information Filthy Butcho was keeping from me.

COMPUTER: I can give nothing without Lord Butcho's permission.

LADY: My pathetic subordinate, Filthy Butcho, is no longer living. If you don't want me to unplug you, you'll turn over the information now!

COMPUTER: Providing information! Providing information! Please do not be violent with me!

SERVANT: The can be no mistake. There is quite a bit of information here. Some of it may be useful.

PINKY: We're done here, then. Let's go.

PINKY: Destroy this place so it can't be used against us.

SERVANT: Yes ma'am.

COMPUTER: Wait! Do not touch that! Please! That is my self-destruct button! Wait! Save me! Please, My Lady!

COMPUTER: You are the cat-man, Lord Violetche!

VIOLETCHE: Give me all the data you have, little one.

COMPUTER: If you save me, I will give you anything you want!

0:09:12
SOLDIER: What happened!?

SEIJI: Alright, my doria's done!

REPORTER: Last evening, we reported on an explosion at the site of the alien space craft. Following the explosion, a piece of what is believed to have been the invaders' base was discovered. Unfortunately, the room was so badly damaged in the explosion that its original layout and purpose cannot be identified at this time.

REPORTER: Further, a large, tunnel was discovered leading to the room from outside. It is thought to be man-made.

SEIJI: That means some of those aliens might still be in town.

MISUZU: I don't know. Either way, I don't want you going near that dangerous place, Seiji!

SEIJI: I know.

REPORTER: We now take you live to a statement from the Japanese branch of the Global Defense Army.

SEIJI: Hey, it's dad. When did he get back to Japan?

MISUZU: Four days ago. Because of all the strange things that have been happening here, the Australian high command decided to make Japan their main defense priority.

0:10:26
SEIJI: It's almost like we've got the whole family around the table, isn't it?

MISUZU: Yes, it is.

TAKASUGI: Next, I would first like to express my sincere gratitude to the robots, including Da Garn, who have worked so hard to protect us from these invaders' attacks. I humbly ask for all of your number to come forward and identify yourselves. I believe that we are on the same side, and that if you come forward, we can all work together.

VIOLETCHE: What a ridiculous display. They're just on top of the world, aren't they? I guess I'll have to restart the whole operation from scratch.

TAKASUGI: I am now addressing the mysterious commanding officer who appears alongside Da Garn! If you are watching this broadcast, I urge you to come forward!

TAKASUGI: You have done a fine job of protecting our Earth. You are all our heroes.

SEIJI: Oh gosh, I dunno about heroes!

MISUZU: Seiji. What are you acting so bashful about?

SEIJI: Oh nothing, It's just... weird seein' dad like this!

TAKASUGI: Allow me to repeat! If the mysterious commanding officer--

LADY: You've got to be kidding me! It's like they think we're powerless! If word of this gets out to Lord Ohboss, I'm as good as dead... if only it weren't for that impudent fool, I could talk my way out of it... that accursed cat-man. How can I rid myself of him?

[Eyecatch]

0:12:30
VIOLETCHE: What luck. My very first day of searching and I've already found the robots' commanding officer.

KID: What're you doin', let go 'a me!

KID: It's my turn to be the hero, you take yours off!

KID: Nyah nyah!

KID: Wait up!

0:12:54
MERCHANT: It's our newest big seller! The 'captain suit' of the robot army's commander! Wear it and become a real superhero! Gather 'round, gather 'round! We've got helmets in all sizes!

VIOLETCHE: Not quite the commander I was looking for.

LADY: Show me the cat-man.

SERVANT: Ma'am!

LADY: Don't worry, Violetche. I'll grant you a glorious death in battle!

0:14:49
HIKARU: That's where they discovered the underground room.

SEIJI: It's crazy. Someone dug there way in there and blew it up, huh?

PINKY: It's scary to think... Butcho's allies might still be here in town.

HIKARU: Are you okay, Pinky? No one's after you?

PINKY: I don't know, that's why I came! That Butcho's really caused problems for a lot of people.

HIKARU: I wonder what's going on?

PINKY: Where's Seiji?

HIKARU: Oh, yeah... where did he go?

SEIJI: Da Garn! What's going on?

DAGARN: Enemy robots have surfaced in Midorigahama!

SEIJI: What did you say!? Get out there!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

KIDS: Let's go! Yay! Da Garn's gonna show up!

0:16:02
SEIJI: Uh-oh! I better hurry!

0:16:56
DAGARN: Change! Da Garn!

KID: It's Da Garn!

0:17:17
KID: Two on one's no fair!

SEIJI: This place is dangerous, everyone! Return to your homes!

KID: Hey! It's the real commander!

KID: No way, I'm the real one!

KIDS: What are you talking about!? I'm the real one!

SEIJI: Oh, geez.

0:17:32
SEIJI: Da Garn! You gotta stay away from this area!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

SEIJI: Sabers! We need you here! Protect the kids!

SABERS: Roger!

KID: That's amazing.

KID: He's the real thing!

KID: So cool!

SEIJI: My friends! Stay here and watch how a true hero fights! Farewell!

KIDS: Awesome!

DAGARN: Da Garn Magnum!

DAGARN: What!?

SEIJI: Da Garn! Combine!

0:18:29
DAGARN: Combine! Da Garn X!

DAGARN: Earth Vulcan!

JET: That's enough of that!

DAGARN: Sabers!

0:19:14
JET: Change!

JUMBO: Change!

SHUTTLE: Change!

VIOLETCHE: So, it's down to me and you.

DAGARN: Da Garn Blade!

SEIJI: Sabers, three-part combination!

SABERS: Roger!

SKY: Combine! Sky Saber!

0:20:12
VIOLETCHE: Who put you up to this? Confess!

SKY: Saber Boomerang!

0:20:34
SERVANT: For My Lady...

DAGARN: Earth Cannon!

DAGARN: Prepare yourself!

SEIJI: Alright! Ya can't beat Da Garn X!

SEIJI: V!

PINKY: A toast to our dear, departed Violetche. Cheers.

VIOLETCHE: Dear departed WHO, did you say?

PINKY: Violetche!

VIOLETCHE: You tried to have me killed, didn't you?

PINKY: Of course not! Why would I do that?

VIOLETCHE: Then, who could it have been? Someone was after me.

PINKY: It wasn't me! I swear, it wasn't!

VIOLETCHE: This is the cheap stuff.

PINKY: I was so worried you might have been killed in the battle... I'm just glad you're safe.

VIOLETCHE: You're a very poor liar, my dear. Don't worry. I'll overlook it just this once. If you try this again, though... you're dead. Understand?

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: Oh no! I dropped the Director! This crazy lady picked it up and now I'm in a real jam! ... haha, as if. Da Garn won't take orders from anyone but me! Hey... wait a minute! Da Garn, what are you doing!?

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! Lost & Found Director! I'm the commander, here... for real, you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment