Friday, September 9, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 11

Here we are, the last Da Garn of the night.

In this episode the world starts to broaden and we get a whole host of new characters, including the members of the Mystery (Ayashi) Circus, which I swear must have been designed with the weird Fushigi Band from Shaider in mind. Listen to their themes and tell me they're not slightly reminiscent.

The Ringmaster speaks in a very pronounced Osakan accent, which is often interpreted as "southern" or "country" to western speakers, but is used specifically here for its association with merchants and entertainers. Just imagine him speaking like Harold Hill, or perhaps Grandpa Simpson in the episode about the Simpson & Son Revitalizing Tonic, and you'll have the right idea.

Anyway, now that I've dated myself terribly, check out the episode below!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future

SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm starting 6th grade today! I'm the commander of the eight Brave Fighters who protect the Earth! Brave Fighters are like avatars of the planet's will. They've been scattered all around the world since ancient times, sleeping in the form of Brave Stones. But then they rose up to destroy invaders from space!

SEIJI: Their miracle power made short work of the enemy boss, Redlone! He was makin' a lot of noise about 'taking the planet's life' or whatever, but no one touches Earth while we're around! You think you can take us on!?

0:02:12
TITLE: Attack of the Space Plant

OHBOSS: Because that fool, we lost a valuable Planet Energy Extractor. I will send you a new extraction device. In the meantime, I wish you to find the precise location of Earth's Planet Energy Reservoirs. In addition, you are to discover the identity of the Earth robots who dared to oppose myself -- the great Ohboss -- and punish them accordingly.

BUTCHO: Leave it to me.

OHBOSS: You understand what will happen if you fail, the way the fool Redlone did?

BUTCHO: Absolutely, sir.

OHBOSS: I await notification of your success.

BUTCHO: Right! Time to get to work!

COMPUTER: Lord Butcho. Where shall we begin?

BUTCHO: Show me the general area where the enemy robots might be hiding.

BUTCHO: What is this supposed to be?

COMPUTER: The third planet from the sun, known as Earth.

BUTCHO: I already know that! Can't you make a more precise estimate?

COMPUTER: The only data Redlone left us is what was inside his memory! Shall I make a prediction based on that?

BUTCHO: It's better than nothing!

COMPUTER: These points mark the locations of his encounters with the enemy robots. First and second contact were made in this location.

BUTCHO: I see...

0:04:12
CLOCKS: Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Hurry up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Hurry up!

SEIJI: SHUT UP!!

SEIJI: Nighty-night...

DAGARN: Wake up, Seiji! Wake up!

SEIJI: Huh? Is there an attack?

DAGARN: No. The new school year starts today. You asked me to wake you up at this time.

SEIJI: Oh, that's right. I'm starting sixth grade today.

HIKARU: Hey Seiji, are you up yet? Seiji!

SEIJI: Yeah, I'm up! I'm up already!

HIKARU: Your mother just called me! Get dressed and eat your breakfast, or you're going to be late!

SEIJI: Mom worries about me way too much.

MISUZU: Good morning. I am Sakamoto Misuzu and this is Morning Scoop.

SEIJI: Morning, mom.

MISUZU: Investigations are still being conducted into the invaders who were driven into space by the unidentified robot group during an attack on Los Angeles. With no ability to track where the invaders went, the Global Defense Army remains on full alert.

SEIJI: But everything's fine now.

HIKARU: What was that?

SEIJI: Oh, nothing.

0:05:33
MISUZU: Now for our next story. An entire remote mountain forest has withered overnight for reasons unknown.

HARUO: Oh, this is just terrible.

MISUZU: We have reports that the site was green and thriving until late last night. The environmental protection agency is mounting an investigation into the cause of the incident.

HARUO: Seiji, humans are behind this! It's humanity's disregard for the environment that results in atrocities like this!

TSUKUSHI: That's we need to think about ecology.

SEIJI: Ecology?

HARUO: The relationship between humans and their environment! What will happen to the planet if we don't protect the fragile ecosystem?

TSUKUSHI: He's right. At this rate, we're in for dreadful things.

0:06:28
SEIJI: Morning!

HOTARU: Morning.

HIKARU: It's so beautiful!

HOTARU: It's crying. The cherry tree... is crying.

HIKARU: The cherry tree is crying? The petals are falling, you mean?

HOTARU: No... the petals falling is a part of its life. It isn't that... it's just... so sad, I...

HIKARU: Sakurakouji! What's wrong?

SEIJI: Well, she's just like that, y'know?

0:07:11
RINGMASTER: Come one, come all, to th' grand debut of th' Mystery Circus! Girls and boys, c'mon by after school! Have we got a show for you! That's th' grand debut of th' Mystery Circus!

KIDS: Good morning, teacher!

MORISAWA: Good morning! I see you're all looking well. We have a new student with us today. This is Yamamoto Pink.

PINK: It's nice to meet you, everyone! My name is Yamamoto Pink!

BOY: What a weird name!

GIRL: She's cute!

MORISAWA: Miss Yamamoto just transferred here from overseas.

KID: Woah, from overseas?

PINK: I've been living abroad for a very long time, so I know very little about your native ways!

GIRL: Native ways?

SEIJI: You probably mean to say our local customs!

PINK: Oh, I'm so sorry... your country's language is so very difficult. I hope you'll help me with it.

MORISAWA: Anyway, let's all try to get along.

MORISAWA: Please take that empty seat back there.

PINK: Yes sir!

PINK: Nice to meet you.

HOTARU: Mr. Morisawa! I...

MORISAWA: What is it, Sakurakouji?

HOTARU: I don't.. feel well...

MORISAWA: You don't? That's no good. I'll take you to the nurse. Wait until I get back, everyone.

PINK: What's wrong with her?

SEIJI: She gets sick a lot.

0:08:41
BOY: But I think it's AWESOME that you've traveled overseas! What kinda places have you been?

PINK: Oh, all over, really...

BOY: All over? So, like, America and Europe?

PINK: Oh, yes.

BOY: You been to Africa, too?

PINK: Yes!

SEIJI: Wow, that's awesome.

GIRL: Hey, Hikaru, don't you think that girl is peculiar? Calling Japan 'your country' and talking about our 'native ways.'

HIKARU: It's probably because she's lived abroad so long.

GIRL: Maybe so, but...

0:09:26
BUTCHO: Grow big and strong, Joanna dear!

PINK: It was all over so quickly. What are we supposed to do here at school?

SEIJI: Huh?

PINK: They just gave us all these books... do we go somewhere else to learn?

HIKARU: These are our new sixth grade textbooks! Class starts for real tomorrow.

PINK: But the math problems all look so easy...

SEIJI: We haven't studied them yet, so they're not easy to us.

PINK: Really?

HIKARU: Are you saying you studied them at your old school or something?

PINK: Oh? Well... more or less.

SEIJI: Wow, you're ahead of the curve!

0:10:19
SEIJI: What's that?

HIKARU: That wasn't here yesterday.

SEIJI: Can a tree really grow that fast?

HIKARU: And it's growing around the cherry tree...

PINK: There's nothing strange about that. We have these everywhere abroad.

SEIJI: For real?

PINK: Yes, I see it all the time in other countries. It's nothing to worry about.

PINK: Anyway, do you want to go to the circus?

SEIJI: That's right! I forgot the circus was in town!

PINK: We can get in for free for its grand opening. Let's go!

SEIJI: Yeah, sure, let's go! Coming, Hikaru?

HIKARU: Okay...

DAGARN: Seiji, I heard that the mountain forests have been abruptly withering.

SEIJI: Yeah, because of 'ecology' or something, right? I wonder if that's what destroyed the cherry trees, too.

SEIJI: All the cherry trees around school suddenly withered, and a new tree is growing there instead.

DAGARN: Really?

SEIJI: I hear it happens all the time in other countries, though.

DAGARN: All the time?

SEIJI: It's nothing to worry about. Anyway, I promised some people I'd meet them at the circus! Send me a message if something goes down.

PINK: I'm here!

SEIJI: You're back already? I haven't even gone inside yet.

PINK: Really? What were you doing?

SEIJI: Oh, nothing... but seriously, that was fast.

PINK: Come on, let's go to the circus!

SEIJI: Okay... just hang on, I'll get ready!

BUTCHO: Time to go, Joanna dear. It's showtime!

[Eyecatch]

SEIJI: Woah, they sure got this tent up fast.

HIKARU: They really did. I didn't even notice.

PINK: Let's go inside!

SEIJI: Okay! Let's go!

SEIJI: Woah...

HIKARU: This is more like a magic show than a circus...

PINK: I've never seen anything like it!

SEIJI: Are they even human? How do they do it?

PINK: I just don't know!

0:13:16
RINGMASTER: Welcome to m' circus, one and all! Hold onto your hats, boys and girls, because that was just the warmup! The real surprises are yet t' come! Prepare yourselves as we raise th' curtain on th' greatest show in the universe!

0:14:00
COMPUTER: None of these vehicles possesses the internal structure needed to transform into a humanoid robot.

BUTCHO: I get it! No more sneaking around, then. Let Joanna know it's time to play!

COMPUTER: Yes, sir.

0:14:26
SEIJI: Where are you going?

PINK: Just going to powder my nose.

SEIJI: Powder her nose?

HIKARU: She's going to the bathroom.

RINGMASTER: Now it's time for our circus's star attraction, th' high-flying trapeze act! Here t' perform the act is our very own shining star, Magical Pinky!

SEIJI: Wow, what an entrance!

HIKARU: Watch where you're looking!

0:15:00
NEMOTO: Good evening, everyone! I hope you're all preparing for a fine evening! Your friendly neighborhood officer, Nemoto, is on patrol! Just call me if you need anything!

NEMOTO: Ow!

NEMOTO: What is that!?

BUTCHO: Now, let's see if Joanna's enjoying herself.

BUTCHO: Oh, looking good! I wonder if he'll show up soon?

SEIJI: Great job! That was amazing!

HIKARU: What's wrong?

SEIJI: I gotta powder my nose, too!

HIKARU: What an idiot.

SEIJI: What is it? We were just getting to the good part!

DAGARN: Seiji, look at this.

SEIJI: What is that thing!?

DAGARN: I don't know. What do we do?

SEIJI: What do you think!? Smash it up!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:16:30
SEIJI: You all have to get out of here! There's a monster coming!

MAN: What a funny costume!

MAN: What kind of monster is it, now?

SEIJI: You've got it all wrong! This isn't an act! This is for real!

HIKARU: It's him...

DAGARN: Change! Da Garn!

BUTCHO: It's him!

DAGARN: You! I don't know where you come from, but those who cause trouble here must answer to Da Garn! Prepare yourself!

SEIJI: Get out of here, everyone! Now's your chance!

DAGARN: Da Garn Magnum!

0:17:50
HIKARU: Yamamoto! Seiji! Where are you!?

SEIJI: Da Garn! Are you okay?

DAGARN: That thing is not from Earth!

SEIJI: So it's from outer space?

SEIJI: Just what is it!?

BUTCHO: Who is that?

DAGARN: Look out, Seiji!

0:18:18
SEIJI: Da Garn! Time to combine!

DAGARN: Combine! Da Garn X!

BUTCHO: Joanna dear! No need to hold back anymore!

DAGARN: Earth Vulcans!

SEIJI: Great job, Da Garn! Get that thing!

HIKARU: Save me! Someone save me!

SEIJI: Hikaru?

HIKARU: Please! Help me!

SEIJI: Are you okay?

HIKARU: It's you...

SEIJI: Don't worry. I've got you.

HIKARU: You can't do it alone...

SEIJI: Hurry! Crawl out!

HIKARU: It looks like you saved me again. Thank you.

SEIJI: You're... welcome...

HIKARU: Just who are you, anyway?

SEIJI: It's dangerous for you to remain here! Flee, while you have the chance!

SEIJI: Seriously, let's get out of here!

0:20:23
DAGARN: Da Garn Blade!

DAGARN: Earth Cannon!

DAGARN: This ends now!

0:21:15
BUTCHO: How dare he uproot my precious Joanna!

NEMOTO: What an awful mess. Just what was it after?

NEMOTO: Hey, it's Seiji!

SEIJI: Hey!

HIKARU: Where did you go? We were scared to death!

SEIJI: We were all in trouble, right? I was scared for you guys, too!

PINK: But it was a lot of fun, too.

HIKARU: Fun?

PINK: Oh yes! You don't even see moves like that in pro wrestling!

SEIJI: Pink, are you a wrestling fan?

PINK: Yes!

HIKARU: I'm worried. Do you think nature is taking revenge on humanity, or something?

SEIJI: No way! That plant wasn't even from Earth!

HIKARU: Really?

NEMOTO: What!? It's my patrol car! What's it doing here!?

SEIJI: ... but whatever it is, it's bad!

0:22:16
COMPUTER: Analysis results: there is an 85% chance that the hostile robots are hiding out in this region.

BUTCHO: So you're saying this town is worth investigating, eh?

COMPUTER: Correct.

BUTCHO: And this one?

COMPUTER: Chance that he is working with the robots: 100%.

BUTCHO: I'll find out who you are and make you pay for this!

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you

SEIJI: Sakurakouji had to go home early because of me! I came to her house to apologize... check out this crazy mansion! There's this weird old lady here, and the doors all open by themselves! It's like a haunted house! Huh? Rabbit monsters are attacking the town? Maybe that's what Hotaru was talking about!

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! 'The Spies on the Corner'! The commander is a sixth grader, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment