Friday, September 9, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 9

In this episode of Da Garn, we get a little more expansion on the character of Officer Nemoto. This is about as deep as his character ever gets, but it's still really nice that they made the effort this early on. The poor guy goes through so much!

A few notes for the ep: the old folks in Nemoto's home town all speak in a mild form of Yamagata Dialect, the same dialect featured in my other translation project, Daimajin Kanon. It tends to be used as shorthand for "country" speech, so I tried to reflect that here without getting too far into unreadable eye-dialect.

Also, the bit with the firefly after the eyecatch is a reference to Sakurakouji's first name; "Hotaru" is Japanese for "firefly."

There's a few other puns in the episode, but I tried to acknowledge them directly in the script. So go on and enjoy! This episode features the debut of one of my favorite combinations in the show and (IMO) one of the best fight scenes in its first arc.

Script beneath the cut!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 5th grade at Midorigahama Elementary! I'm the commander of the eight Brave Fighters who protect the Earth! I only just got the gang back together, though. They were scattered all around the world in the form of Brave Stones, and I had to go all over looking for them! It was such a pain in the neck!

SEIJI: But something AWESOME just happened! I found out the three Sabers can combine to become Sky Saber! What have I told you guys about keeping things from me? That Redlone guy said he's going to 'take our planet's life' or something, but our combinations will take him down!

0:02:12
TITLE: A Gift From Redlone

ALL: Long live General Redlone! Long live General Redlone! Banzai! Banzai! Banzai!

REDLONE: Gentlemen! It is time to move into the final stages of our ultimate objective. We are here to collect the Planet Energy stored within the Earth. To this end, we must discover the Planet Energy Reservoirs hidden at various locations across the globe.

REDLONE: Now, behold! A probe mecha configured to locate those very Reservoirs! I call it the Redlone Eye!

REDLONE: In mere moments, I will be sending ten thousand of these Redlone Eyes to be scattered across the Earth! With such numbers, those Reservoirs are as good as ours!

SCHOLAR: Preparing to commence launch of Redlone Eyes! Begin the countdown! 6! 5! 4! 3! 2! 1!

REDLONE: Come to me, my Planet Energy.

0:04:18
TSUKUSHI: Mr. Nemoto, would you like some pumpkin pie for your after-dinner snack? I fear it's leftover from yesterday.

NEMOTO: Yes ma'am! Gladly!

TSUKUSHI: And how about some carrot cake? I fear it's from two days ago.

NEMOTO: I'll take that, too! And what's that tasty-looking thing?

TSUKUSHI: This? It's aconite gelatine.

NEMOTO: I'll take that, too!

TSUKUSHI: Here you are.

HIKARU: So, Seiji, did you go anywhere for spring vacation?

SEIJI: Not really. I guess if I wanted to go somewhere, Da Garn could--

HIKARU: Huh? Da-gaa...

SEIJI: Uh... I mean... I just have to think of... the doggone place I want to go. The doggone place... the doggone place...

SEIJI: ... But I can't think of anywhere I'd like to go!

HIKARU: I see. You too? I'd really like to go somewhere nice before school starts again...

SEIJI: What're you talkin' about? Didn't your family just go on vacation to some island?

HIKARU: But it was awful! There was a tsunami and all these robots showed up... it was a really bad time! Just the opposite of fun!

SEIJI: Oh, I see. I didn't know!

NEMOTO: I got it!

NEMOTO: Seiji, Hikaru, leave it all to me! I just had the best idea ever!

TSUKUSHI: The best idea ever?

0:05:35
NEMOTO: Yes ma'am! The truth is, headquarters is rewarding my diligence in the field with a few days' leave!

SEIJI: So where's the idea in that?

NEMOTO: Just hear me out!

NEMOTO: I'm gonna use my vacation days to return to Misato, the village where I was born!

SEIJI: Misato?

NEMOTO: That's right! I can see it now... ah, my sweet hometown...

NEMOTO: The name means 'beautiful village', and my home town is just that... the water is clean, the air is pure, the land overflows with greenery... it was like a utopia.

HIKARU: Like a utopia?

NEMOTO: Well, Hikaru, Seiji? Won't you come and make some wonderful memories back in my old hometown?

HIKARU: Really? Can we!?

TSUKUSHI: But... you don't mind?

NEMOTO: No! Of course not! Providing guidance and leadership to our country's youth is a part of my duty!

SEIJI: I think I'll pass.

NEMOTO: Eh?

SEIJI: As you can see, I'm a real city boy. I ain't suited to the backwater life. Yeah!

NEMOTO: I see! That's a real shame. My village is full of sweet young girls who know nothing of the wider world.

SEIJI: I think I'll come after all.

HIKARU: You are such a pervert.

0:07:10
SCHOLAR: General Redlone, we're receiving data from the Redlone Eyes!

REDLONE: Put it on-screen.

SCHOLAR: We've detected an unusual heat source within a thousand meters of this point. Incidentally, that point also lies on a large fault line. Earthlings refer to it as the Fossa Magna.

REDLONE: I see! That heat source must be the Reservoir we're looking for!

SCHOLAR: Well, we have no way of knowing until more data comes through...

REDLONE: Once I take that Reservoir, victory will be in my grasp.

SCHOLAR: That's why I believe we should investigate a bit more before...

REDLONE: Prepare the drilling apparatus immediately! And ready my robot squadron!

0:08:06
SEIJI: Hey, are we there yet?

NEMOTO: Just a little longer.

SEIJI: I'll be there soon, ladies!

HIKARU: A utopia of greenery! I hope we get there soon!

SEIJI: Hey woah, Mr. Nemoto, are you sure this is the right way!?

NEMOTO: Yeah, this is perfect! I've got things well in hand!

HIKARU: Where are we going!?

NEMOTO: Just following the road to town!

NEMOTO: By the way, you two!

SEIJI: What now!?

NEMOTO: We're approaching the entrance to the town! You two might wanna close your eyes.

SEIJI: Mr. Nemoto! Can't you drive a little slower!?

0:09:04
NEMOTO: Here we are! This is Misato, the town where I was born!

SEIJI: This?

NEMOTO: It's beautiful, isn't it! But it seems a little quieter than I remember it...

OFFICER: Well shut my mouth! Is that who I think it is?

NEMOTO: Well shucks, it's been a dog's age! You know me, I'm Tadashi!

OFFICER: Well I'll be! It is you, Tadash'!

NEMOTO: You got that right! And I become a police officer just like you, sir!

OFFICER: Oh, is that right!

SEIJI: So where the heck is the utopia of greenery?

HIKARU: It's not at all like he described.

SEIJI: It's all riding on the sweet young girls, then.

HIKARU: What was that!?

WOMAN: Shucks, Tadash', we sure missed you around here!

NEMOTO: I'm tickled to see you folks again, too!

MAN: And it's nice to see you too, young 'uns.

WOMAN: It's been ages since we last had young people hereabouts.

SEIJI: I knew it.

MAN: Now then, what's your name, little filly?

HIKARU: Um, I'm Kosaka Hikaru.

MAN: What was that?

HIKARU: KO-SA-KA HI-KA-RU!

MAN: What was that?

OFFICER: He's gone awful deaf lately. Oh! Miss Kiyo's back!

NEMOTO: Oh, it's mama! Hey mama!

HIKARU: No way.

NEMOTO: Mama! I see you're still up and kicking!

KIYO: That you, Tadash'? I reckon I can still handle a little field work.

KIYO: By the way, Tadash'.

NEMOTO: Yes ma'am?

KIYO: Our village needs you. How about you come back to live with us?

NEMOTO: What are you saying, mama!?

0:11:08
CHIEF: Buddha, guide his soul to rest.

CHIEF: Tell you the truth, Tadash', the young folks like you have all left the village one way or another. Now it's just us old folks left.

OFFICER: It's just as the chief says. The whole village is dying. We could bring it back to life if we had some nice mountains or a hot spring to bring in tourists. But there ain't no hope with the way things stand.

KIYO: That's why we need you here, working to restore the village.

NEMOTO: But...

KIYO: No buts. Your father was buried right here in this village.

SEIJI: What is Mr. Nemoto gonna do?

[Eyecatch]

0:12:41
SEIJI: Do you put the happiness of your hometown first? Or your career? Dang, what a tough question...

SEIJI: It's a firefly! I didn't think it was the season for them...

SEIJI: I know! I'll catch it, and bring it back to Sakurakouji as a souvenir!

SEIJI: Hey, wait up!

SEIJI: What is this!?

0:13:52
SCHOLAR: Redlone, sir. A life form has been detected at the drilling site. It appears to be human.

REDLONE: Destroy it.

SEIJI: What the...

SEIJI: Come in, Da Garn!

DAGARN: What is it, Seiji?

SEIJI: I'm under attack from one of Redlone's robots! Get here ASAP!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:14:45
SEIJI: Oh, crap!

SCHOLAR: It's that robot again!

REDLONE: Bring the remaining Metal Battlers to the surface!

SEIJI: Da Garn! Time to combine!

DAGARN: Combine! Da Garn X!

ELDER: What's this now? Something's flying all around, shooting fire from the sky!

OFFICER: Must be those robots always making trouble in the city!

SEIJI: Da Garn! Make sure to keep your distance from the village!

DAGARN: Yes, sir. But I'm struggling with the enemy's rapid-fire attacks.

SEIJI: I got it. Landers! Support him!

LANDERS: Got it!

0:16:00
NEMOTO: What are you people doing!? Get out of here!

OFFICER: Gosh, we plum forgot.

NEMOTO: Mama! Where are you goin'?

HIKARU: We can't find Seiji anywhere!

KIYO: I'll defend this village with my own hands!

HIKARU: Oh, it's him!

NEMOTO: Who's he?

HIKARU: He's the hero boy who controls the robots!

NEMOTO: Hero boy?

NEMOTO: What the!?

0:16:56
SEIJI: Landers!

BIG: Hey boss! Whaddya want? Give us some orders already!

SEIJI: You guys can combine like the Sabers, can't you?

BIG: Sure can! You want a combination, boss?

SEIJI: Alright!

HIKARU: I hope he's okay.

NEMOTO: Huh? I saw something fall down the slope.

SEIJI: The director's gone!

HIKARU: Something's wrong...

NEMOTO: Hang on a minute. That thing that fell might be the robots' remote control...

SEIJI: Crap! They're all gonna get flattened!

KIYO: Where you think you're going, Tadash'!?

NEMOTO: I'm gonna save the hero boy!

KIYO: You blind fool! You'll die if you go over there!

NEMOTO: Mama, I'm a policeman! A policeman's duty is to protect the peace, even at the risk of his own life!

KIYO: Tadash'!

TURBO: Where's that combine order!?

NEMOTO: I reckon this is it... wait for me, hero boy!

0:18:32
KIYO: Keep at it, Tadash'!

HIKARU: Mr. Nemoto!

NEMOTO: Gotta give it all you got!

SEIJI: I know it fell somewhere around here...

NEMOTO: Hey! Hero boy! Are you looking for this!?

SEIJI: Mr. Nemoto...

DAGARN: Look out!

SEIJI: Da Garn!

NEMOTO: Here! Take it!

SEIJI: Thanks!

SEIJI: Okay!

SEIJI: Landers! Combine!

LANDERS: Got it!

BISON: Combine! Land Bison!

0:20:07
NEMOTO: Yahoo!

SEIJI: I couldn't have done it without you.

SEIJI: OW!

REDLONE: An ideal outcome.

SCHOLAR: Huh?

REDLONE: Clearly, they think they've won. But the Reservoir drilling apparatus will soon reach that mysterious heat source.

HIKARU: Seiji! Where did you get off to?

SEIJI: Hey.

HIKARU: Seiji! I've been looking for you everywhere!

HIKARU: Seiji... did you hurt yourself?

SEIJI: Just tripped a little.

NEMOTO: Mama! You say I can go home?

KIYO: I sure do.

NEMOTO: But what about the village?

KIYO: Nah, I know how ya feel. You're a man and you're risking your life for the job you picked. I'd be proud to have you stay a policeman.

NEMOTO: Mama...

KIYO: And I bet your daddy's smiling down on you from heaven.

NEMOTO: Thanks, mama!

SEIJI: I'm glad it worked out, Mr. Nemoto.

OFFICER: But what will become of our village?

REDLONE: At last! The Planet Energy will be mine!

SEIJI: What was that!?

HIKARU: Look at that!

SCHOLAR: As I suspected, the heat source was not a Reservoir after all...

REDLONE: What did you say!?

SCHOLAR: It seems it was not an Energy Reservoir, but a hot spring.

SCHOLAR: I am resigned to my punishment as ever, sir.

0:22:13
PAMPHLET: The new hot spot: The Robot Springs of Misato

SEIJI: The Robot Spring?

NEMOTO: Yeah, mom says the town's prospering again now that tourists are coming by.

HIKARU: And that means they can all stay in the village!

NEMOTO: Yeah, it's a real load off my mind.

SEIJI: That's right nice to hear, Tadash'!

NEMOTO: Mama...

KIYO: Good luck out there, Tadash'!

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: A deep-sea exploration vessel was attacked!? I bet it's that Redlone guy again! We'll finish him off, this time! Huh? What's this new robot? Bigger's not always better, y'know! What? We can't combine? Attacking us during our stock footage is dirty pool, you guys!

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! 'The Great Combo Breaker'! I'm the commander, here... and I'll take care of everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment