Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn Episode 3

I'm throwing up one more Da Garn tonight, just for good measure. Once again, I love the secret identity antics that the series plays with. It's not something that a lot of the Brave series bothered with (off the top of my head, I can only think of the previous year's Fighbird making it a serious part of the premise).

We see in this episode where Da Garn shows some parallels to Ultraman Gaia. Like Gaia, Da Garn takes a hero concept that tends to be extraterrestrial in origin and converts it into a benevolent Earth-spirit working to protect the world from external threat. I, of course, cannot get enough of that sort of tree-hugging hippie stuff, and thus embrace both shows wholeheartedly.

We also see Seiji get a red-and-white supersuit that resembles but is legally distinct from that of a certain other Japanese superhero I'm quite fond of. Friends of mine have also pointed out that his "rejected" suit design is similar to the one worn by Prince of Space in his eponymous series/MST3K movie. As for the space suit, well... I just have no idea.

Grab the script below the cut!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future

SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 5th grade at Midorigahama Elementary! One day, a UFO appeared in my home town. It turned into a robot and started wrecking up the place! It freaked me out pretty bad...

SEIJI: I ran to hide out in a nearby temple, when this voice started talking to me from under the ground. It said 'fight, to save the Earth'... then this Aurin thing started shining, and this ball of light flew out of the Buddha's head... and THEN the light got sucked into a police car, and the car transformed into a robot! Then the robot smacked down the UFO!

0:02:12
TITLE: Find the Brave Stones

0:02:30
SEIJI: Oh no! Don't tell me I fell asleep here last night!

SEIJI: But this means yesterday wasn't a dream...

SEIJI: Da Garn! You up?

DAGARN: Good morning, Seiji.

0:02:52
HIKARU: Seiji! Hey, Seiji! I guess he's already gone out...

NEMOTO: Hey there, health food girl! Off on another date with your little boyfriend?

HIKARU: I'm only helping him because his mom asked me. I'm more like his babysitter, really.

NEMOTO: Yeah, a slacker like him needs full-time care!

HIKARU: But it's strange... he almost never gets up without me...

SEIJI: Feh! Let 'em talk. But yesterday was totally awesome! Me an' Da Garn are an unbeatable team!

DAGARN: Don't get overconfident. The invaders from yesterday may come again.

SEIJI: Huh? Are you saying they might send something even tougher?

DAGARN: I fear the true invasion is yet to come.

SEIJI: You gotta be kidding! You're saying you and me gotta fight them all ourselves!?

DAGARN: Worry not. We have allies we can call upon.

SEIJI: Huh? So why didn't you say that earlier?

DAGARN: You didn't ask.

SEIJI: Aw geez, don't be so literal...

SEIJI: So, where are these friends of yours?

SEIJI: What's going on!?

DAGARN: Do not panic. I am transmitting these images directly into your brain.

DAGARN: I am one of eight Brave Fighters who have protected this earth since the time of antiquity.

SEIJI: Eight Brave Fighters?

DAGARN: This Earth was forged approximately 4.5 billion years ago. From there, the continents rose from the oceans. Life began. In time, plants and animals of all kinds came to populate the planet's surface. Across these long eons, we too were given life, to serve as Earth's protectors from external threat.

SEIJI: So you're kinda like an emergency response system?

DAGARN: That's correct.

SEIJI: So where are these friends of yours right now?

DAGARN: They are currently sleeping in the form of Brave Stones, scattered all across the Earth. They must be found and awakened from their slumber.

SEIJI: Huh? So who's supposed to wake 'em up?

DAGARN: You are, Seiji.

SEIJI: Me!?

DAGARN: Correct. This is a task that only you can do.

SEIJI: Hang on a minute! I never signed on for this!

SEIJI: Oh crap, I'm late!

0:05:25
SEIJI: Hey! Just in the nick of time!

HIKARU: Seiji! Did you stop somewhere on the way to school!?

SEIJI: So what if I did?

HIKARU: I thought you might have gotten into an accident! I was worried!

SEIJI: Sure, sorry.

HIKARU: Oh please!

SEIJI: Hey! Whatcha talkin' about?

BOY: Hey, Seiji! You seen this?

HEADLINE: Mysterious Robot Appears

BOY: That robot yesterday sure was cool!

BOY: I got a look at him from right up close!

BOY: My house was almost crushed in the fight!

BOY: 'The question of where these mysterious robots came from and if they are part of a large-scale invasion as yet remains unanswered.'

SEIJI: The one that was messing up the town was probably an invader, but the one that showed up later was CLEARLY on our side!

BOY: Hah, you're so naive! How can you be sure he's really a good guy?

BOY: That's right! We don't even know his name or where he's from.

SEIJI: I told you, he's on our side! And I know his name, it's Da Garn...

BOY: Huh? Da Garn?

BOY: Is Da Garn the robot's name?

BOY: Why do YOU know his name?

SEIJI: Oh, it's just... my mom works at a TV station, so sometimes I get confidential information...

0:06:38
MORISAWA: Come on now, it's time for class. Take your seats, everyone.

SEIJI: Why am I so bad at keeping my big mouth shut?

0:07:00
SEIJI: Of course no one knows what I was up to yesterday.

SEIJI: So the Brave Stones are scattered all over the Earth...

SEIJI: Oh hey, S-S-Sakurakouji!

HOTARU: What is that?

SEIJI: Oh, uh, just something I picked up!

HOTARU: It's calling.

SEIJI: Calling?

HOTARU: It's drawing closer.

SEIJI: What is?

SEIJI: What're you talking about? There's nothing there.

0:07:48
SEIJI: What a weirdo...

SIGN: Ancient Egypt Exhibit Opening

SEIJI: A Brave Stone!

SEIJI: There's an Egyptian exhibit opening at the museum...

SIGN: First public viewing of Susemra VI!

SEIJI: 'The jumbo jet carrying these legendary treasures of the Nile is expected to arrive on'... hey, that's today!

SEIJI: Drawing closer... is that what she was talking about?

0:08:12
SEIJI: Da Garn! This is Seiji! I found a Brave Stone! I need you to take me to the airport!

DAGARN: Yes, sir.

NEMOTO: Hey! Car thief!

NEMOTO: Ow!

NEMOTO: Oh no! I'm really in for it, this time!

0:08:32
REDLONE: You still haven't figured out where it came from?

SCHOLAR: Completely unknown. All I can say for sure is that it could not be produced under Earth's current level of technological advancement.

REDLONE: What vulgar designs. There is not a trace of true artistry in them. I do not intend to let our grand and noble army fall before such ugly robots. We must launch an immediate counterattack, so that all may know our true strength!

REDLONE: Send out Adler!

0:09:17
MAN: What's with that police car?

MAN: Was there a kid driving it?

SEIJI: Da Garn! Isn't there some way I can disguise myself?

DAGARN: Press the upper-right switch on the Director.

SEIJI: This one?

SEIJI: C'mon, I can't move in this thing!

SEIJI: This is awful! Can't you make it cooler looking!?

SEIJI: Awesome!

0:10:05
MAN: Unidentified flying object detected to the north-north-east! Distance 1000 meters! Altitude 7000 meters!

GENERAL: What?

MAN: It's heading for Japan!

POLICE: Calling all cars! An unidentified flying object similar to those seen yesterday was detected in the southern hemisphere! GDO headquarters has reported that it will enter Japanese airspace shortly! All cars, prepare for emergency evacuation! Be on alert! Repeat! Be on alert!

SEIJI: Did you hear that, Da Garn?

DAGARN: I did.

SEIJI: C'mon, let's find that friend of yours!

0:10:47
SEIJI: Da Garn, you go on ahead. Keep the city safe!

DAGARN: Yes, sir.

SEIJI: Here we go!

0:11:10
MAN: We got him!

MAN: No way!

MAN: Pull back!!

SEIJI: Cargo block... cargo block... there! That's where I'll find the Brave Stone!

REDLONE: Now show yourself, filthy Earth robot!

0:12:00
[Eyecatch]

SEIJI: Damn... hard to move around in here...

MAN: There sure are a lot of them.

MAN: We'll be in trouble if just one of these little guys gets out.

SEIJI: That's it!

MAN: Hey! What are you doing!?

MAN: Stop that!

0:13:07
SEIJI: Are you okay, mister?

MAN: Yeah.

SEIJI: Hey, could you tell me where they're unloading the Egypt exhibit?

MAN: Egypt? Oh, should still be in that jumbo jet.

SEIJI: Thanks!

MAN: Hey! You can't go in there! Stop him!

MAN: Stop!

SEIJI: I'm doing this to save the Earth! Can't you just let me go!?

0:13:36
DAGARN: Change! Da Garn!

MAN: Did you see him?

MAN: No. Hey, kid! Where are you? Just come out quietly!

SEIJI: I wish I'd just tried to sneak past 'em.

SEIJI: Hey Da Garn. How are things with you?

DAGARN: It's a struggle.

SEIJI: Is he really that strong?

DAGARN: Extremely so.

SEIJI: So you really need your buddy, huh?

DAGARN: At this rate, my chance of victory is slim.

SEIJI: So just combine already!

DAGARN: I can't combine without you here!

SEIJI: Okay, fine. Just hang on!

MAN: There he is! Stop!

SEIJI: Like I'm really gonna stop!

MAN: Stop!

SEIJI: Outta my way!

0:15:04
SEIJI: So which one's got the Brave Stone?

MAN: Got you now!

SEIJI: Dammit, get offa me!

MAN: You've given us a lot of trouble today!

SEIJI: Whatever! Brave Stone, awaken!

0:15:31
SEIJI: It's the Brave Stone!

0:15:50
JUMBO: Pleased to meet you, sir. So you're our captain, are you?

SEIJI: The jumbo jet is speaking to me?

JUMBO: My name is Jumbo Saber. It's a pleasure to have you on this flight.

SEIJI: Oh, it's so kind of you to... wait, we don't have time for this! We've gotta get to get to the city! Da Garn's fighting aloneout there!

JUMBO: Yes, sir!

MAN: Just what's going on here?

0:16:26
HIKARU: Seiji! Aren't you home yet? You big jerk...

HIKARU: He couldn't be...

JUMBO: We'll be arriving shortly. I must ask for your patience just a minute longer.

SEIJI: What was that?

JUMBO: Change! Jumbo Saber!

SEIJI: Where am I?

JUMBO: It's a compartment I've prepared to ensure your safety, commander.

0:17:15
REDLONE: I knew it! I knew my robots wouldn't lose to that piece of junk in a real fight!

DAGARN: Da Garn Magnum!

HIKARU: Seiji! Seiji! Oh, that irresponsible kid... I just know he came to watch the fight...

0:17:57
MAN: What is that!?

WOMAN: It's another new robot!

SEIJI: Oh no! He's in bad shape!

JUMBO: Don't worry, sir! I'll turn things around.

SEIJI: Wow, you really turned into a robot.

JUMBO: Orders, Captain.

SEIJI: Okay! Save Da Garn and destroy the enemy robot!

HIKARU: Help me! Someone, please! Help me!

SEIJI: Hikaru!

JUMBO: Jumbo Tornado!

0:18:26
JUMBO: Are you alright, sir?

DAGARN: Thank you for coming.

DAGARN: Be careful. He attacks from the air.

JUMBO: If he wants a dogfight, he'll get one!

HIKARU: I... I can't hold on...

SEIJI: Don't worry. Help is here.

0:19:06
SEIJI: That was close.

HIKARU: Thanks, you saved me.

SEIJI: Look out!

SEIJI: Huh? What just happened?

SEIJI: That's amazing... it doesn't hurt at all...

HIKARU: Are you alright?

SEIJI: Let this be a lesson to you! Stay out of dangerous places!

HIKARU: Wait! Can't I have your name?

SEIJI: Farewell!

HIKARU: I don't know who you are... but thank you.

SEIJI: What are you doing!? Why aren't you combining with your support robots?

DAGARN: As I told you earlier, I cannot combine without your order.

SEIJI: Oh yeah, that's right.

SEIJI: Earth Liner! Earth Fighter! It's time to combine!

0:20:35
DAGARN: Combine! Da Garn X!

JUMBO: I've got it!

DAGARN: Da Garn Blade!

SEIJI: They did it!

0:21:38
REDLONE: Those filthy robots! They mock me at every turn... where could they have come from!?

0:21:50
NEMOTO: I guess I'll be writing my resignation again... what!? Hey, when did you...

NEMOTO: I'm so tired...

SEIJI: Please forgive me, Hikaru!

HIKARU: This is the least you can do! It's your fault I sprained it!

SEIJI: Feh. And who do you think saved you?

HIKARU: Mr. Morisawa is furious, too. Prepare for a scolding tomorrow.

SEIJI: You people don't know all I go through...

HIKARU: What are you grumbling about? It's not manly to make excuses.

SEIJI: Yeah, yeah...

HIKARU: Now if you want to talk manly, that boy who saved me was amazing...

HIKARU: And don't sigh!

SEIJI: Yeah, yeah...

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you

SEIJI: I found the second Brave Stone! It's on a space shuttle that went missing at the South Pole. Okay, let's go check it out! But, first I gotta fill up! You're a great cook, mister! Huh? You've seen this symbol before, you say? I can't believe it! It's two birds with one stone!

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! 'Antarctic Storm'! I'm the commander, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment