Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Translation: Kento Otoko Iki (Mirai Robo Daltanious)

I've got more episodes coming soon, but for now I want to post a couple songs I did a while back and have been sitting in my backlog. This one was a SPECIAL REQUEST from Luurah of the ending theme of Mirai Robo Daltanious. I previously posted the opening theme I translated for him, so I figure I should post the ED as well.

The ED is sung by the chorus Koorogi '73, who are also known for singing a lot of Ban-ban-bara backup in songs for shows like Goranger and Steel Jeeg. Here they sing a song more or less in the "voice" of the show's main character, Kento, who... well, the song basically explains what his deal is, doesn't it?

The first two verses of the song use plays on Japanese proverbs used to connect two events as inevitable. In order to make it work in English (where only one of the proverbs has a direct translation anyway) I had to rewrite them a little bit; hopefully this will come through.

If you haven't heard the song, check it out here; translation based on kanji found here. As always, translation lies below the cut.

Song Title: Kento: A Guy With Guts
Artist: Koorogi '73
Series: Mirai Robo Daltanious

inu ga nishi mukya o ha higashi
oira ga soramukya hoshi ga chiru
otokoiki da yo edokko dai
waka to yobareru gara de ha nai ga
dodekai yume mo motteru ze
ginga wo matometa kunizukuri
KURURI to mawareba KURURI to mawareba
yo ga kawaru


A dog can't face west without his tail facing east
I can't face the sky without the stars raining down
I got lots of guts 'cause I'm a real city boy
I might not look like the heir to the future
But I got the biggest dream you can imagine
To unite the whole galaxy under one nation
'cause this world is turning, turning
And it never stays the same

warau kado ni ha fuku ga kuru
oira ga warau to teki ga kuru
otokoiki da yo edokko dai
teki wo kechirashi tsukare ha senu ga
futo yume ni miru chichi no kuni
ginga no hate no furusato wo
KURURI to mawareba KURURI to mawareba
yo ga kawaru


When a home is merry, happiness follows
Whenever I'm merry, enemies follow
I got lots of guts 'cause I'm a real city boy
I'll thrash any enemy that stands in my way
But sometimes I dream about my fatherland
And my home at the end of the galaxy
'cause this world is turning, turning
And it never stays the same

ashi no muku mama omou mama
oira ha jiyuu ni ikiru no sa
otokoiki da yo edokko dai
kata de kazekiru tsumori ha nai ga
kitte miseru ze chi no enishi
ginga no kuniguni sakaeare
KURURI to mawareba KURURI to mawareba
yo ga kawaru


I do what I like, whenever I like
Going wherever my feet might take me
I got lots of guts 'cause I'm a real city boy
I'm not trying to throw my weight around
But I swear I'll claim my birthright
And bring prosperity to the nations of the galaxy
'cause this world is turning, turning
And it never stays the same

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for translating this song for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! How's the project coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technically, I'm up to Episode 12. (Ep13 is in QC mode.) Right now, I'm revising the eps I've released up to 12 because I've received (and confirmed) that my subs' text was too small and incompatible with the "TV Safe Area".

    (I just released revised eps of 1 - 7 so far. Eps 8 - 11 will be next to receive the same treatment.)

    ReplyDelete