Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Translation: Kaiketsu Zubatto, Episode 10

It's time for more Zu-VATT!

Well, actually, Zubat.

When I started this series I thought the Z-V romanization would be a good way to reflect the fact that he named himself after a sound effect, especially as it appears in his catchphrase. Unfortunately that aspect seemed to have been lost on most people I talked to, who just wondered why I was monkeying with the "official" spelling. If a translation leaves 90% of people who see it feeling confused and unsatisfied, well, it's not much of a translation, no matter how clever you may think you were being.

So! From now on it will be Zubat. I've also altered the translation of the OP song and his catchphrase to at least reflect the meaning of what he's saying, even if the pun itself can only be heard through listening.

Anyway, I can't say I'm terribly fond of this particular episode of the show. On the one hand, it features a guest appearance by series creator Ishinomori Shotaro and a pretty fine live instrumental arrangement of Futari no Chiheisen. On the other hand, it features one of Dakkar's lamer bodyguards in recent memory, and definitely one of its lamer schemes. Seriously, guys, why does an organized crime organization care about crushing the dreams of small children? There's no money to be made off that!

0:00:30
TITLE: The Magnificent Zubat

[Opening Theme]
In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
Since the day when I saw that view of hell
The only wind that I feel on my face
Is a wind of revenge, a burning wind!
Hunt them down! Hunt them down, and corner them!

In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
My friend, my dear friend!
My friend, please watch my howling whip!

I am the Magnificent Zubat!


0:01:50
TITLE: Knock Baseball's Enemies Out of the Park

0:02:20
DIRECTOR: Good, it's sounding nice. Mr. Ishimori's birthday party is the day after tomorrow. Let's do our best.

0:03:48
HAYAKAWA: I'm sorry for intruding on the session.

MAN: Not at all. But how do you know this song?

HAYAKAWA: It was my best friend's song.

DIRECTOR: You're Asuka's friend?

HAYAKAWA: Yes.

DIRECTOR: I'm so surprised. How is Asuka doing now?

HAYAKAWA: He's dead.

DIRECTOR: Dead?

HAYAKAWA: No... he was murdered! I'm trying to find the man responsible.

DIRECTOR: I see.

MAN: What was that!?

HAYAKAWA: Wait!

0:04:30
TOMMY: Better stay back. Passing this way might be bad for your health.

HAYAKAWA: Now I see. Might you be Tommy, the Black Gecko's bodyguard?

TOMMY: So you know I'm the greatest trumpet-player in Japan, eh?

HAYAKAWA: I'm afraid you're mistaken. You're the second-greatest in Japan.

TOMMY: What's that? Who else could be the greatest in Japan?

TOMMY: You wanna prove that? You must know that my trumpet isn't exactly standard-issue.

HAYAKAWA: I'd like my turn, now.

TOMMY: You idiot. Where do you think you're pointing that?

HAYAKAWA: Looks like I win this one.

0:06:28
DIRECTOR: He was such a good man...

HAYAKAWA: I understand how you feel... when Asuka was killed...

HAYAKAWA: Asuka!

DIRECTOR: I want to find the man who did this! But I know that his dying wish would have been... to make Mr. Ishimori's party a success! That's all he would have wanted!

0:07:10
HOST: We now offer this brief presentation to all the good boys and girls out there in television land. It's Mr. Ishimori's birthday party! The White Goggles will be performing!

HOST: The legendary third baseman Mr. Ishimori is also the top home run hitter in Japan. He's well-known for his saying, "the glorious Big Hands will never know defeat." Let's all give him a round of applause and a shout of encouragement.

ISHIMORI: Someone help me!

GANG: Great work!

0:08:10
BOSS: This will be a great success! Do it just that way on the night of the broadcast, Black Gecko!

GECKO: It is all guaranteed, Boss L. I murdered the White Goggles' trumpet player with my own hands. Now we just need to get them to hire my personal hitman, the trumpet-player Tommy, in his place.

TOMMY: The plan's foolproof, I tell you!

BOSS: And make sure you don't just kill him. You must make him suffer! The TV cameras must capture the unsightly death of the national idol baseball player Ishimori! We'll crush the dreams of the youth of this country!

0:09:01
TOMMY: What did you say!? I came here because I heard you were looking for a trumpet player!

DIRECTOR: I'm sorry to bring you all the way out here. But I've already decided who'll be filling in on trumpet.

RYUICHI: You're going to use me?

TOMMY: Just a minute. At least hear me play first.

DIRECTOR: There's no need for that. Ryuichi here is the only trumpet-player I need.

TOMMY: Fine!

0:09:26
RYUICHI: I did it!

RYUICHI: Tetsuo, they made their decision! I'm going to be on TV! I'm going to play trumpet in front of Ishimori!

TETSUO: Really? That's great, big brother!

RYUICHI: I'm going to do my best. You do your best, too, and get that operation you need!

0:10:14
TETSUO: My big brother is the best in Japan.

RYUICHI: What? What did I do to you?

GANG: Pipe down. We're just gonna kill you. After we torture you a little, anyway.

0:10:
GANG: Who the hell are you?

HAYAKAWA: A traveler from hell.

GANG: What was that?

HAYAKAWA: Just a minute. I think the scenery is upside-down.

GANG: Quiet, you. Take him!

GANG: You bastard!

HAYAKAWA: How's the view, now?

0:11:37
HAYAKAWA: Your life is in danger. It would be better if you didn't visit your brother for a while.

RYUICHI: But what about Tetsuo?

HAYAKAWA: It would be harder on him if you were killed.

TETSUO: Big brother! Big brother!

RYUICHI: Tetsuo! You're not supposed to be out of bed!

TETSUO: But I was so worried...

RYUICHI: Tetsuo... Tetsuo...

TETSUO: Big brother...

HAYAKAWA: Tetsuo, you don't have to cry. I promise to keep your brother safe.

HAYAKAWA: So you also need to be brave and have your operation. Okay?

TESTUO: Okay!

MIDORI: Mr. Hayakawa!

OSAMU: We've been looking for you everywhere!

0:12:36
DIRECTOR: What? You'll be playing trumpet instead?

HAYAKAWA: Yes. We can't let their plan go through. They're after Mr. Ishimori.

OSAMU: No, mister, you can't! Please! Mr. Hayakawa told you not to go!

RYUICHI: Let me go! I have to be at the rehersal!

OSAMU: Mr. Hayakawa said he'd play in your place!

RYUICHI: But then what about Tetsuo? He's looking forward to seeing me on TV! If he sees me playing trumpet for Mr. Ishimori, he said he'd find the courage to have his operation!

OSAMU: You can't! If you go out, they'll kill you!

[Eyecatch]

GUY: Hey Toji, bring those chairs over here!

GUY: Got it!

GUY: I'm not sure I can get it up...

GUY: Don't worry.

GUY: Bring that up here.

GUY: How's it look?

0:13:35
OSAMU: No, you can't!

RYUICHI: Forgive me, Osamu. But I have to be on TV today, for my brother's sake!

RYUICHI: I have to make it to the station... before the party starts!

GANG: I'm afraid you'll be dying today.

GANG: Wait!

GANG: Get him!

MIDORI: They'll be ready to start your operation soon. Do your best, okay?

TETSUO: I'm not gonna do it until I see my brother on TV.

MIDORI: But...

DIRECTOR: But Mr. Hayakawa. What if Tetsuo realizes it's not Ryuichi playing the trumpet?

OSAMU: Terrible news! Ryuichi's been ambushed!

HAYAKAWA: What?

0:14:29
HAYAKAWA: I thought I fixed this. But now I can't even see the upside-down scenery.

GANG: You again...

HAYAKAWA: Have a nice little nap, now.

HAYAKAWA: Ryuichi!

MAN: Have a seat.

ISHIMORI: Thank you.

0:15:19
TOMMY: As long as I'm wearing these goggles...

DIRECTOR: Mr. Hayakawa! We didn't think you'd make it.

RYUICHI: Just you wait, Tetsuo! Your brother will play for Mr. Ishimori, just like he said!

DIRECTOR: Please listen as the White Goggles express the emotion of 300,000 fans around the country through this song for Mr. Ishimori.

TETSUO: It's my brother! My brother is playing for Mr. Ishimori!

TETSUO: You're great, big bro!

0:17:06
RYUICHI: Wait!

TETSUO: That's my brother! There's two of them!

RYUICHI: That trumpet player is a fake!

TOMMY: This way, sir!

ISHIMORI: Wait!

HAYAKAWA: Mr. Ishimori!

GECKO: Mr. Ishimori will now be executed by firing squad.

ISHIMORI: Let me go! Stop this!

0:18:20
HAYAKAWA: Flight switch on!

GECKO: Do it!

GECKO: Now...

GECKO: What's that!?

0:19:03
GECKO: Who the hell are you!?

HAYAKAWA: In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case! They call me the wandering hero... the Magnificent Zubat!

GECKO: The Magnificent Zubat!?

HAYAKAWA: You murdered a blameless trumpet-player and attempted to kill Ishimori, the idol of innocent children everywhere. Black Gecko... you will pay!

0:19:47
TOMMY: You can't beat this!

[Opening Song]
In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
Since the day when I saw that view of hell
The only wind that I feel on my face
Is a wind of revenge, a burning wind!
Hunt them down! Hunt them down, and corner them!

In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
My friend, my dear friend!
My friend, please watch my howling whip!

I am the Magnificent Zubat!


0:20:58
GECKO: Damned Zubat...

HAYAKAWA: Black Gecko!

[Opening Song/3rd verse]
In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!

Since the day when I saw that view of hell
The song that I play, the song that I sing
Is a melody of rage, in the language of hell
Cry out! Cry out, until this is done!

In a flash, I'm on the scene! In a flash, I solve the case!
My friend, my dear friend!
My friend, can you hear my victory song?
I am the Magnificent Zubat?


0:21:11
HAYAKAWA: You killed Asuka Goro, didn't you!?

GECKO: I didn't!

HAYAKAWA: Tell me who did!

GECKO: I have no idea!

GECKO: I really don't know...

HAYAKAWA: Just one minute left...

HAYAKAWA: Zubat Attack!

HAYAKAWA: Asuka... I swear I'll find the true culprit.

0:22:32
CARD: This is the man behind the murder.

TOJO: Hayakawa... you again?

OSAMU: Mr. Hayakawa! Mr. Hayakawa!

MIDORI: Mr. Hayakawa!

RYUICHI: Mr. Hayakawa!

OSAMU: Mr. Hayakawa!

[Ending Theme]
There is a road that a man must walk
That road is his to walk alone
When he devotes his life to a burning wish
He seeks what lies beyond the mountains

Through love and truth and suffering
The way of battle is like the fires of hell
And though he does not know what lies beyond...
That road is his to walk alone


NARRATOR: Tojo is caught in a trap! He's in danger! Let your burning friendship guide you to his side, Hayakawa Ken! Fight, our hero! The Magnificent Zubat!

NARRATOR: Next time on The Magnificent Zubat: Don't Die, Dear Friend! One Second To Execution

NARRATOR: Zubat's stunts are dangerous, so please don't try them at home!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you can continue with this soon, as it is the best thing you started on. Please continue soon and don't abandon this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete