Thursday, August 9, 2012

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn, Episode 29

Hey, what month is it again? Huh? August? Oops...

Here's a new episode of Da Garn, which features an all-important lesson of Yuusha series: if all else fails, combine it. It is to my regret that later series learned that lesson all too well...

In the realm of cultural notes for this episode, I'll just point out the scene where Seiji and Hikaru are talking to Sakurakouji, and you see Seiji freaking out about how he's kneeling. This is called seiza (正座), and it is traditionally considered the "proper" way of sitting in polite company in Japan.

Of course, if you're not accustomed to it, keeping this position for extended periods of time can slowly grow painful. It tends to be a recurring gag in anime and manga that, since modern-day kids get no training in proper etiquette, they end up paying for it when they do find themselves in a traditional situation that requires seiza.

Episode below the cut. Enjoy!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 6th grade! I'm the commander of the Brave Fighters who protect the Earth! Our enemy is Ohboss, a group of alien invaders who are after Planet Energy, the source of life on Earth.

SEIJI: They tore Africa in half, and Da Garn's been working hard to patch it back up! Meanwhile, something extra-crazy just happened! It turns out Yamamoto Pink was an alien! It looks like she and Pinky were the same person. She's been fooling us this whole time! Geez, I can't make heads or tails of any of this!

0:02:12
TITLE: Da Garn Revived!

SEIJI: Where am I?

SEIJI: Hikaru! Hey, Hikaru! Wait up! What are you doing in a place like this?

HIKARU: Seiji. Who do you think I am?

SEIJI: What are you talking about? You're Hikaru.

HIKARU: Kosaka Hikaru is merely one of my forms. My true form is...

PINKY: Lady Hikaru!

SEIJI: Ow!

SEIJI: Just a dream? Man, what a nightmare...

SEIJI: This is Seiji. Have you sighted Lady Pinky's spaceship?

SHUTTLE: Not yet. We'll keep searching, sir.

SEIJI: Good. Any word from Da Garn in Africa?

SHUTTLE: We haven't heard anything. But the tectonic activity in the area has calmed.

SEIJI: I see. Keep an eye on that area, too.

SHUTTLE: Roger.

SEIJI: Oh no!

0:03:35
SEIJI: Mornin'!

HIKARU: Good morning. You have your identification card, right?

SEIJI: Got it.

SEIJI: See?

0:03:41
SEIJI: What a pain. We gotta deal with this crap every time we step out of our houses.

HIKARU: But what can we do? Without our ID cards, we could get arrested.

HIKARU: But why do you think they called us to school today?

SEIJI: It must be about the aliens. The whole town's gone crazy about it.

HIKARU: What should we do about Yamamoto? Should we tell the teacher that she was Pinky all this time? And that she was an alien?

SEIJI: I dunno...

HIKARU: I think we'd better not tell them.

SEIJI: For Pink's sake?

HIKARU: No way! I just think, if people realize someone they knew was an alien, they'll get suspicious of everyone around them.

SEIJI: Good point. They'd start thinking everyone's an alien.

0:04:35
GIRL: Stop it!

GIRL: You stop it!

SEIJI: Heya!

SEIJI: What the...

HIKARU: What are you doing!?

BOY: We're checking for aliens!

GIRL: They say aliens don't get hurt if you pinch them!

SEIJI: That's crazy!

BOY: My dad said it's the quickest way to test it!

SEIJI: You gotta be kiddin'.

MORISAWA: Hey! Everyone! What are you doing? Take your seats immediately!

ALL: Good morning!

MORISAWA: Absent today are Yamamoto and Sakurakouji, eh?

KID: Teacher! Yamamoto Pink was an alien! She lived in that big house that turned into a spaceship!

KID: You live in a big house, too!

KID: He's right! You look a lot like an alien to me!

KID: What!?

MORISAWA: Quiet down! I will not have these accusations in my classroom!

SEIJI: Hey, teach! What about Sakurakouji?

MORISAWA: She seems to be ill today.

HIKARU: So where are we going?

SEIJI: Sakurakouji's place.

HIKARU: To make sure she's okay?

SEIJI: Something like that.

0:06:08
HOTARU: Here you are.

SEIJI: Thanks!

SEIJI: Blech!

SEIJI: So Sakurakouji, what's going on? Any thoughts?

HOTARU: I am not a fortune-teller.

SEIJI: Even so! How are you feeling? Like, your anxiety's gone away, or you're sleeping peacefully through the night now? Anything like that?

HOTARU: I'm afraid not.

HIKARU: We need to know if there are any more aliens here. Right now, the whole town is in a panic. You have such a sense for these things! We thought you might know something.

HOTARU: Right now, I feel refreshed.

HIKARU: Refreshed?

SEIJI: Refreshed? Like... invigorated?

SEIJI: Refreshed, eh...

0:07:08
PINKY: You wretched fool! Take this, and this!

MAN: Do you feel better, My Lady?

PINKY: Disgusting creature! It's because of your incompetence that we don't have a victory to our names!

PINKY: Do you not care that I have nothing to report to Lord Ohboss!?

MAN: Not at all, My Lady!

PINKY: Then why can't you think of a single plan!?

MAN: My Lady Pinky! We have a communication from Seven Changer!

PINKY: I have no time for him! Tell him I'm occupied, and close communications!

MAN: But he has a plan to help you! He says he'll give you all of the credit!

PINKY: What!? Well, why didn't you say that!? Put him onscreen!

SEVEN: Hello, Lady Pinky.

PINKY: Hi, Seven Changer! What's this plan of yours?

SEVEN: Do you remember the Reservoir that Violetche found in Africa?

PINKY: I lost a bit of face there, myself.

SEVEN: Da Garn is not dead. He is trying to suppress the release of Planet Energy.

PINKY: What!?

SEVEN: He is currently immobilized. If you were to attack him, and tap the Reservoir below...

PINKY: Then all the credit would go to me.

SEIJI: Things are calming down in Africa... that means Da Garn should be done there soon, right?

GAON: Da Garn will come when he comes. Until then, he will be there. No worries.

SEIJI: But it's a huge problem! There could still be aliens hiding here in town. We haven't found Pinky's spaceship, either... we need that guy.

GAON: Chieftan. What are you thinking?

SEIJI: I'm gonna go to Africa and pull Da Garn outta there.

GAON: How?

SEIJI: Whaddya mean, how? Well... I dunno, actually.

0:09:31
SEIJI: I have a favor to ask! Would you come with me?

HOTARU: I don't have the power to do what you want me to do.

SEIJI: I want to get Da Garn out of the Earth. Could you show me how to do it?

SEIJI: At least come with me, please!

PINKY: At last, fortune has turned in my favor! But I never expected Seven Changer to assist me this way.

MAN: And you'll get all the credit, My Lady.

PINKY: Truly, there is no weapon more powerful than beauty.

0:10:23
SEVEN: Are you certain of this plan?

YANCHAR: Yeah. Right now, it's going to waste.

SEVEN: It could be of use to us.

0:10:48
SEIJI: This is your commander! What is it?

SHUTTLE: This is Shuttle Saber! An unidentified robot is heading for Africa! Please hurry!

SEIJI: What? Got it! Everyone, move out! Keep Da Garn safe!

PINKY: This is my chance to make a real impression!

PINKY: Prepare yourself, Da Garn!

0:11:55
PINKY: I'll rend the land in two and mount Da Garn's head on my wall!

PINKY: Finish him off!

[Eyecatch]

0:12:17
BIG: Quit lagging, slowpokes! Move it, already!

LANDERS: Right!

BIG: Mach Lander! Turbo Lander!

DRILL: What the...

BIG: Seven Changer!

DRILL: Big Lander! Are you okay?

BIG: Just disabled. Turbo Lander, Mach Lander?

MACH: We're in the same boat. But we can't drive like this!

TURBO: This is nuts! What's he trying to do!?

BIG: Jumbo Saber, Shuttle Saber! Be careful! Seven Changer's hanging around!

SABERS: Roger that!

0:13:25
JUMBO: He's fast!

SHUTTLE: Jumbo Saber!

SHUTTLE: We can't fly like this!

JUMBO: Blast him!

SEVEN: This is Seven Changer. Can you hear me, Lady Pinky?

PINKY: I hear you.

SEVEN: I've disabled the enemy reinforcements. You may do as you wish with them.

PINKY: I thank you, Seven Changer. Now, leave the rest to me!

HAWK: Keep your hands off Da Garn!

GAON: Gaon!

0:14:33
SEIJI: C'mon!

SEIJI: Hurry!

PINKY: You think you can beat me? I'll take you all at once!

HAWK: Take this!

SEIJI: I'm sorry to have dragged you into this.

HOTARU: What do you want me to do?

SEIJI: I was thinking... you could save Da Garn, or get us a new ally... or something...

SEIJI: ... I guess not...

HOTARU: Look there!

SEVEN: Lady Pinky. Leave them to me. I'll handle the trash. You take care of Da Garn!

PINKY: Thank you, Seven Changer!

JET: You're not going anywhere!

DAGARN: At this rate, Africa will be ripped in half again...

0:16:04
JET: Blast!

SEIJI: Guys, you gotta do something! She's gonna destroy Da Garn!

SEIJI: Da Garn!

PINKY: Why don't I finish you off now?

HAWK: Oh no!

SEVEN: You will go no further!

DAGARN: You!

PINKY: I've got you now, Da Garn! You've humiliated me time and again, but now it's time to settle the score! Prepare yourself!

PINKY: I'm not through yet! This is nothing compared to what you've put me through! Take this! Take this!

PINKY: It's done! It's all over! At last, I will defeat the invincible Da Garn!

PINKY: Da Garn! Your life is over!

PINKY: What!?

0:17:51
SEIJI: Gaon! Hurry! Get in there and check on Da Garn!

GAON: Understood.

DAGARN: I've used up too much energy... this really is the end.

SEVEN: It seems I overestimated you. Why don't I put you out of your misery?

GAON: Enough!

SEIJI: Da Garn, hang on! Get up! You gotta!

SEVEN: Prepare yourself, Da Garn!

DAGARN: Forgive me...

SEVEN: DIE!

0:19:15
SEIJI: What just happened? What's with that light?

HOTARU: A new power.

SEIJI: A new power?

HOTARU: The Earth's mysterious new power.

SEIJI: The Earth's... mysterious power?

YANCHAR: At last! That's the true Power of Legend!

DAGARN: Great Da Garn GX!

SEIJI: A new power... from the Earth?

PINKY: How long must you mock me!? You'll pay for this! I'll tear you all apart with my bare hands! Fire the cannons!

0:20:50
PINKY: Fire! Fire! FIRE!!

PINKY: I've done it!

PINKY: What!?

DAGARN: GX Buster!

0:21:58
SEIJI: Woah!

PINKY: This is bad... very bad.

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: Someone's after Hotaru again! I thought we were past this crap... who is it this time!? Huh!? Who's this little shrimp!? What kind of idiot comes diving in through the window!? He sounds a lot like that guy from before... maybe it's the same guy! Fine, I'll take you on, too!

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! The Mystery Kid! I'm the commander, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment