Friday, August 10, 2012

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn, Episode 31

Today on Da Garn, stuff is completely hilarious, in a plot-relevant way. One of the things I love about this show is that, where other shows might take a break around this point to do some filler and get us accustomed to the new character, here, head writer Gobu Fuyunori (in collaboration with Hirano Yasushi, who gains his co-head writer credit after Gobu fell ill in the latter half of production) just keeps the plot points rolling. The villains never sit still but are constantly strategizing, scheming, and moving their agenda along.

What's more, they do it all without sacrificing anything in the way of humor, enjoyment, theme or characterization. Efficient writing at its absolute finest!

What really shines in this episode, though, is the voice acting. Matsumoto Rica proves once again why she's the queen of kid voices, and Takano Urara, though slightly less of a renowned superstar, meets her every step of the way. Seiji and Yanchar's scenes together are such a perfectly realized portrayal of "sibling" rivalry (writ large with robots and explosions, of course) that it can't help but bring a smile to my face every time I see it.

Ep's below the cut. Enjoy!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 6th grade! I'm the commander of the Brave Fighters who protect the Earth! Our enemy is Ohboss, a group of alien invaders who are after Planet Energy, the source of life on Earth.

SEIJI: Da Garn got a big power-up to stop their evil plan! Now nothing can stop us! ...or so I thought, but then this weirdo appeared! I can't believe this little brat... all rude and entitled, he thinks he knows everything! What's more, he's after Hotaru! And now I've got these eight tiny Butchos to deal with! I guess my town's troubles aren't over yet!

0:02:12
TITLE: Another Commander

VIOLETCHE: Report to Lord Ohboss. I have discovered a Planet Energy Reservoir on the African continent. I also have a number of candidates in China and other areas. Finding their exact location is a matter of time. I am certain that everything will be in order by the time you arrive.

VIOLETCHE: As an aside, My Lord, might I ask you a question?

OHBOSS: A question?

VIOLETCHE: Is it fair to assume that My Lord's reason for visiting Earth is the suspected presence of the Power of Legend?

OHBOSS: Power of Legend?

VIOLETCHE: Is it possible that the ultimate cosmic power that My Lord has been searching for is hidden here on this planet?

OHBOSS: Violetche, these things are not for a servant such as you to know.

OHBOSS: Do not contact me unnecessarily.

VIOLETCHE: I suppose I'll have to look into it myself.

VIOLETCHE: Here's where the leonine and avian robots first appeared... I suppose I'll start there.

0:03:52
WOMAN: Who is it?

MAN: I-I-It's Taro!

WOMAN: Just a moment, I'm coming!

WOMAN: Oh, they're beautiful! Thank you so much, Taro!

MAN: There's something I really need to ask you!

YANCHAR: Oh, I see! That's how it works!

SEVEN: Was it useful to you, Your Highness?

YANCHAR: Totally! I can finally ask Hotaru where the Pest is hiding.

YANCHAR: There's something I really need to ask you... there's something I really need to ask you...

YANCHAR: There she is!

YANCHAR: There's something I really need to ask you...

HIKARU: See you later, Sakurakouji!

HOTARU: Goodbye.

YANCHAR: T-t-there's something I really... need to...

HIKARU: It's you!

SEIJI: Hey, you two!

HIKARU: Seiji!

SEIJI: You guys goin' on a date today!? You ol' lady-killer, you! C'mon, seal it with another kiss! Kissy, kissy!

HIKARU: Idiot!

SEIJI: Hey! What was that all about?

HIKARU: What is with that kid?

SEIJI: He's gotta be from Nishihama Elementary. They're a buncha delinquents over there.

HIKARU: Don't you think you're taking this a bit far?

SEIJI: Oh? You like that type, huh? But you better give up on him. That type is nothing but trouble. A girl like you could do a lot bett--

HIKARU: I don't need your advice!

SEIJI: Ow...

0:06:05
YANCHAR: That big jerk! Next time, I'm gonna punch his lights out!

YANCHAR: What a nice smell...

HARUO: Come on in!

TSUKUSHI: Right this way. What will it be, sir?

HARUO: Excuse me, that's an order for delivery...

YANCHAR: That was good! More!

HARUO: My, he's got quite an appetite!

TSUKUSHI: Oh, how exciting! Let's feed him!

0:06:50
TSUKUSHI: Here you are. Don't eat it too fast, now. It won't run away.

HARUO: There, now. That's a growing boy.

HIKARU: We're back!

HIKARU: What are YOU doing here!?

TSUKUSHI: Oh, do you know each other?

HARUO: Wait, you forgot to pay!

SEIJI: What!? He didn't pay!? That jerk!

TSUKUSHI: Why don't we call it even. He left us these beautiful flowers, after all.

HARUO: That's true.

YANCHAR: What's with that guy!? He shows up everywhere I go!

SEIJI: Wait a second, you welcher!

YANCHAR: Huh? Welcher? What's that?

SEIJI: Don't play dumb! Pay up!

YANCHAR: Pay?

0:07:57
SEIJI: Wait up, you welcher!

YANCHAR: What's up with him?

SEVEN: Worry not, Your Highness. I've found the girl's residence.

YANCHAR: Oh no! That jerk made me lose my flowers!

0:08:25
MAID: Pardon.

MAID: Her ladyship doth await thee.

YANCHAR: Wuh? Doth?

YANCHAR: There's something I really need to ask you!

YANCHAR: I did it!

YANCHAR: I need to know where the Pest is!

HOTARU: Pest?

YANCHAR: That annoying guy who's always hanging out with the robots! I need to know how I can talk to him!

YANCHAR: Could you please... tell me?

SEIJI: Here we go... I got you now...

SEIJI: Hey, this is Hotaru's house! That jerk... he's tryin' to snatch her away again!

YANCHAR: So this is where I can meet the Pest, huh?

SEIJI: The Pest? Is he talking about me?

YANCHAR: Just what is this?

SEIJI: What's he lookin' for me for?

YANCHAR: Um... T... i... Tibet!?

SEIJI: Tibet...?

YANCHAR: My thanks to you.

0:10:15
SEIJI: Shoot, where'd he go? Is he really going to Tibet?

SEIJI: What is it? I'm a little busy, here.

DAGARN: Seiji, I have detected a flying object leaving the city.

SEIJI: Huh? It's not a GDO helicopter?

DAGARN: No. It is far too fast to be a helicopter. I cannot confirm, but it could be an Ohboss robot.

SEIJI: Okay, Da Garn! Follow that robot!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:10:50
PINKY: It's freezing! What are we doing here!?

VIOLETCHE: Energy reaction zero... no luck, eh?

PINKY: Luck with what?

VIOLETCHE: This is the place where the lion robot appeared. I thought there might be some special power at work, but...

PINKY: Wait a minute, Violetche!

VIOLETCHE: Well, no matter. Let's move on.

YANCHAR: Will we really find the Pest in a place like this?

SEVEN: I'm detecting an energy source nearby. I'm going down.

YANCHAR: What is this place?

SEVEN: A mysterious light. It radiates a warming energy.

[Eyecatch]

0:12:12
DAGARN: We're currently over Tibet.

SEIJI: Tibet?

SEIJI: The cave of light!

SEIJI: This is the place where we healed Sky Saber with Hotaru! This must be the place Hotaru was talking about, then.

DAGARN: What does it mean, Seiji?

SEIJI: How should I know? Anyway, let's get in there.

DAGARN: Someone is here.

0:12:50
SEVEN: Take shelter, Your Highness.

SEIJI: Seven Changer!

SEVEN: Wait. I don't come here to fight you.

DAGARN: What!?

SEVEN: My prince would like to speak with your commander. Could we see him?

SEIJI: His prince?

DAGARN: What should we do, Seiji?

SEIJI: How should I know? Lemme think...

YANCHAR: Hey, you! Quit messin' around! I know you're in there! Get out, you coward!

DAGARN: There was a person inside?

SEIJI: Hey, it's him! No way!

YANCHAR: I've been looking for you forever! You afraid to come out and face me, you wuss!?

SEIJI: What did you say?

YANCHAR: With such a wussy boss, it's no wonder your robots all suck!

SEIJI: That little jerk! Stand down, Da Garn!

DAGARN: Are you certain?

SEIJI: Just don't let down your guard! He might still be planning something!

YANCHAR: So you finally came out! Took you long enough!

SEIJI: Tell me what you want!

YANCHAR: I want you to work with me.

YANCHAR: I said I want you to work with me! Don't make me say it again!

SEIJI: You gotta be kidding! Aren't you with Ohboss!? Why would I help my own enemy!?

YANCHAR: Wait a minute! We're not your enemy!

SEIJI: Yeah, right! You tried to kill Sky Saber, didn't you!?

YANCHAR: You're just not getting it...

SEIJI: You're the one not getting it, idiot!

YANCHAR: What!? I'm not an idiot, you shrimp!

SEIJI: You're even shorter than me, shrimp!

YANCHAR: You're the shrimpiest shrimp shrimp SUPER-shrimp!

SEIJI: That one musta hit home! Little shrimpy shrimp shrimp!

YANCHAR: Come over here and say that!

SEIJI: Like I'm gonna fall for that! If you got something to say, YOU come over HERE!

YANCHAR: Fine, I will!

SEIJI: Hey, what are you doing!?

YANCHAR: Quit messing around and help me already!

SEIJI: Like I'd help a little worm like you!

DAGARN: Commander, please calm down.

SEIJI: Stay out of this, Da Garn! This little welcher's gonna pay!

YANCHAR: Huh? Welcher?

SEIJI: Crap!

YANCHAR: Hey, are you that guy!?

SEIJI: I didn't say anything!

YANCHAR: You're that Seiji guy who got in the way of my lunch!

YANCHAR: You idiot! How could you be the Pest!?

SEIJI: I oughta ask you the same question! What's a jerk like you doing inside Seven Changer!?

YANCHAR: Fine, I'll tell you. Look at this.

SEIJI: An Aurin!

YANCHAR: See? You get it, now?

SEIJI: Why do you have an Aurin, too?

YANCHAR: What, I gotta explain that too? You sure are dumb.

SEIJI: Why would I know!? Just what are you!?

YANCHAR: I am Yancharan Starlette Banner Grecius Jaqkinger Wilder XIV.

SEIJI: Yanchar... what?

YANCHAR: You can't even remember a simple name? You idiot!

SEIJI: So what do you want, Yanchar?

DAGARN: Something's coming.

SEVEN: Highness. Get to safety.

YANCHAR: Hey Pest! You better help me if you know what's good for you! Don't forget!

SEIJI: What was that!? Wait, Yanchar!

DAGARN: Hurry!

SEIJI: Got it!

0:17:13
VIOLETCHE: What was that?

PINKY: Da Garn and Seven Changer? What are they doing here?

VIOLETCHE: So, there is something special about this place...

PINKY: Leave this to me, Violetche. Da Garn is mine.

PINKY: Come back here, Da Garn!

VIOLETCHE: Nothing like a woman scorned.

SEIJI: That little worm! He said we were on the same side!

SEVEN: What!?

PINKY: It's been far too long, Da Garn! I'm so happy to see you again!

SEIJI: Pinky! She's still alive!?

PINKY: You're going to pay for all you've put me through, Da Garn.

PINKY: Kindly stay out of this, Seven Changer.

SEVEN: Do as you like.

DAGARN: Wait, Seven Changer!

PINKY: Keep your eyes on your real opponent!

DAGARN: Oh no!

PINKY: How do you like my new and improved electric whip?

SEIJI: Ugh, I'm surrounded by liars! Gaon! I need you here!

PINKY: Prepare yourself, Da Garn! I will defeat you and regain my honor before Lord Ohboss!

VIOLETCHE: Take your time. I'll just be investigating here.

0:19:30
GAON: Gaon!

DAGARN: Thank you, Gaon!

SEIJI: I'm still numb all over...

SEIJI: Now's our chance! Da Garn, Gaon, time to combine!

0:20:20
DAGARN: Combine! Great Da Garn GX!

PINKY: Oh no!

SEIJI: GX Buster, standby!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

VIOLETCHE: What amazing energy! This must be a Planet Energy Reservoir!

SEIJI: GX Buster! Launch!

VIOLETCHE: What!?

VIOLETCHE: What are you doing, you fool!?

PINKY: It... was just a small miscalculation!

0:21:50
SEIJI: Geez... we're getting less margin for error here.

SEIJI: I'm glad we didn't listen to that guy and just wiped them out.

SEIJI: That Yanchar brat! Next time I see him, he's gonna pay for this!

SEVEN: Are you alright, Your Highness?

YANCHAR: I wonder if they got that our attack was just to fool Violetche.

SEVEN: I don't know.

YANCHAR: But I can't believe the Pest turned out to be that little jerk!

YANCHAR: What a headache! Geez!

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you



SEIJI: That little Yanchar brat! I don't believe for a minute he's really on our side! Like I'm gonna lay off after he sneaks into my room! Huh? A cyborg Redlone has shown up in the TV station? Oh no! Mom's in trouble!

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! Redlone's Counterattack! I'm the commander, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment