Friday, August 10, 2012

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn, episode 32

Basically everything I said on the last episode applies to this one.

In addition, this episode features some pretty amazing animation direction by Hiraoka Masayuki, the show's character designer. Unlike some entries in the franchise, Da Garn is not (usually) a show about bowling you over with big setpiece fights and gloriously-rendered, highly memetic stock footage -- a fact which seems to disincline a lot of people from paying attention to it.

What I love, though, is episodes like this one, where you can see they've really put the effort where it's needed for this story: rendering the small moments with a care that's rarely seen in this genre, instilling them with life, humanity, and realism in their expressions and body language.

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: My name's Takasugi Seiji, and I'm in 6th grade! I'm the commander of the Brave Fighters who protect the Earth! Our enemy is Ohboss, a group of alien invaders who are after Planet Energy, the source of life on Earth.

SEIJI: I thought Seven Changer was part of their gang, but he came up to us, all "I want to talk to your Commander"! It turns out that little brat Yanchar was inside Seven Changer this whole time! He's got his own Aurin that looks just like mine! Just what is going on here!? I don't care if he says he's on my side! I do NOT trust that guy!

0:02:12
TITLE: Redlone's Counterattack

HARUO: Oh, this is looking good. Lay out the bowls, mama.

TSUKUSHI: Yes, papa.

HARUO: How is it, mama?

TSUKUSHI: Oh, it's delicious! You really are a genius, papa!

YANCHAR: Hey!

TSUKUSHI: Oh, welcome.

HARUO: It's nice to see you again.

YANCHAR: I'm...

TSUKUSHI: Hungry, are you?

YANCHAR: That's not it!

TSUKUSHI: You don't have to worry about the bill from last time.

HARUO: That's right. Friends help friends, after all.

YANCHAR: There's something I need to--

TSUKUSHI: We just made a delicious beef stew.

HARUO: And here we have marinated sardines. Doesn't it smell heavenly?

TSUKUSHI: Oh, do eat up.

YANCHAR: Okay...

0:03:18
SEIJI: What's that? You're saying we SHOULD trust that little brat Yanchar?

DAGARN: That's right. He possesses an Aurin.

SEIJI: Aurin or not, I don't trust that guy! After all that stuff he said to get close to us, he turned on us like it was nothing! Did you forget he shot you in the back?

DAGARN: That is true, but I would prefer to think the best of him.

SEIJI: Think the best? No way. I think he just approached us so we'd let down our guard! I know that's it!

DAGARN: If that is the case, then why hasn't he attacked us, despite knowing your identity?

SEIJI: Well... I don't really know...

0:04:02
TSUKUSHI: Is it good?

YANCHAR: Yep!

TSUKUSHI: I'm so happy to see you enjoying our food!

YANCHAR: I'm full up!

HARUO: He really cleaned his plate.

TSUKUSHI: He really did.

YANCHAR: Ah!

TSUKUSHI: What's wrong?

YANCHAR: There was somethin' I was gonna ask you.

HARUO: What is it?

YANCHAR: You know a guy named Seiji?

HARUO: Oh yes, we know Seiji well.

TSUKUSHI: He lives right next door.

YANCHAR: What? Next door?

TSUKUSHI: That's right. The house right behind ours is the Takasugi residence.

0:04:37
HIKARU: I'm home!

HIKARU: That boy, again?

TSUKUSHI: Yes.

HIKARU: Did you give him another free meal?

HARUO: He seems to be having some family troubles.

TSUKUSHI: He might not have a mother.

HIKARU: Eh? He doesn't have a mother?

YANCHAR: So this is that Seiji guy's house?

0:05:08
MISUZU: This is Sakamoto Misuzu, signing off. We'll see you again tomorrow.

DIRECTOR: Good work today!

DIRECTOR: It's those alien robots!

0:06:00
SEIJI: I'm back!

SEIJI: Who's there!?

SEIJI: I guess I'm just hearing things.

SEIJI: Huh? Where'd the wheel go?

YANCHAR: Wait, why am I hiding from him?

YANCHAR: Hey!

SEIJI: Take this, you thief!

SEIJI: Hey, YOU broke into my house!?

YANCHAR: Chill out! I just came here to talk!

SEIJI: Talk, huh? Well my sword will make you talk!

SEIJI: Take this!

SEIJI: You're a little monkey, aren't you.

YANCHAR: Why can't you get that I'm on your side, idiot!?

SEIJI: Like I'm gonna believe that! Tell me what you're up to!

SEIJI: You're gonna get it!

YANCHAR: Ow, ow, ow!

SEIJI: Now's my chance!

SEIJI: Hah, take that!

SEIJI: Oh, crap! Maybe I went too far.

SEIJI: Hey, are you okay?

YANCHAR: You big jerk! I told you, I'm on your side!

YANCHAR: Ohboss is trying to steal your planet's life energy and turn it into a dead world!

SEIJI: I already knew that!

YANCHAR: No, you don't know! Ohboss is after your Power of Le--

SEIJI: SHUT UP!

0:08:47
HIKARU: Seiji, awful news!

HIKARU: What's going on?

SEIJI: This guy broke into my house!

YANCHAR: Stop being an idiot!

HIKARU: Enough! Seiji, your mother is in trouble!

MISUZU: My name is Redlone, servant of the great Lord Ohboss, master of the infinite cosmos.

SEIJI: Mom!

YANCHAR: Mom?

SEIJI: Yeah. That's my mom.

MISUZU: The great Lord Ohboss desires the Planet Energy of Earth. He will take it, regardless of the desires of your species. Life cannot survive on a planet stripped of its Planet Energy. But if you bring to us Da Garn and the robots that oppose us, we will offer you a chance for survival.

VIOLETCHE: That Redlone has a fine head on his shoulders.

PINKY: Is it possible to leave the Earthlings alive?

VIOLETCHE: Who knows?

MISUZU: If you do not bring us the robots, we are prepared to raze the city to the ground. I hold your lives in my hands. These are the words of Redlone's--

SOLDIER: General Redlone's.

MISUZU: --General Redlone's manifesto.

REDLONE: Continue.

SEIJI: What are you doing to my mom!?

YANCHAR: I have no idea!

HIKARU: Stop it, Seiji! It doesn't have anything to do with him!

SEIJI: He sure as hell does! This guy is--

YANCHAR: I didn't do it!

SEIJI: Listen, you. Don't tell them who you are. My identity is a secret.

HIKARU: What are you doing?

SEIJI: What does it look like? My mom's in trouble!

HIKARU: Don't do it! They'll kill you if you go!

YANCHAR: He's really serious...

HIKARU: I understand how he feels, but...

MISUZU: If they, the most unslightly robots in the universe, are not brought to us soon, we will...

YANCHAR: Mom... his mother?

HIKARU: You really don't have a mother, do you?

0:10:46
SEIJI: I'm coming, mom!

COMMANDER: No good... we must withdraw!

REDLONE: Accursed Da Garn. Come to me soon.

SEIJI: What is he doing!? I don't got time for this!

DAGARN: Change! Da Garn!

COMMANDER: That's...

SEIJI: Da Garn, I'm heading into the station! You keep the fight away from the city!

DAGARN: I will!

COMMANDER: Excuse me, Commander. We were hoping you'd come.

SEIJI: I got no use for the GDO lackeys.

COMMANDER: Where are you going!? Follow him!

[Eyecatch]

SEIJI: Da Garn!

HAWK: Da Garn! We're here!

BIG: Hey chief! Is it true they got the boss's mother?

DAGARN: Yes! Seiji's gone to save her! We must support him!

SEIJI: Combine, everyone!

0:12:49
DAGARN: Combine! Da Garn X!

BISON: Combine! Land Bison!

PEGASUS: Combine! Pegasus Saber!

GAON: GAON!

COMMANDER: Forward, ho!

COMMANDER: Ugh...

0:14:38
SEIJI: Mom...

REDLONE: I've been waiting for you.

SEIJI: You knew I would come?

REDLONE: Order your robots to stand down.

SEIJI: Relase those people. Then maybe I'll think about it.

SEIJI: Stop it! What are you doing!?

REDLONE: There will be no negotiating. Give the order, now.

SEIJI: Okay, I will.

SEIJI: Stand down, everyone!

DAGARN: What!?

SEIJI: Just stop! This is an order!

BISON: What're you talking about!?

GAON: Chieftan's orders are absolute.

PEGASUS: We don't have a choice.

SEIJI: You got what you wanted! Now, let that man go!

MISUZU: Are you alright? Speak to me...

REDLONE: Do it!

SEIJI: Da Garn!

SEVEN: Your Highness. They are losing the battle.

YANCHAR: Not just that... they aren't even fighting back!

SEVEN: What should we do, Your Highness?

0:16:14
SEIJI: Take this!

MISUZU: Stop it! He's just a boy!

REDLONE: Would you like to end up the same way?

SEIJI: Leave my m-- leave this woman out of this!

SOLDIERS: Return!

COMMANDER: We did it!

0:16:51
BISON: Boss! Do we just gotta let them beat us!?

PEGASUS: Commander! Give the order to attack!

SEIJI: I'm so sorry, guys... if I let you fight back, they'll kill mom and everyone...

REDLONE: I will finish Da Garn with my own hands. Prepare Red Geist.

REDLONE: But before then... I will finish you.

MISUZU: No!

REDLONE: What!?

SEIJI: What are you doing?

YANCHAR: I told you I was on your side!

SEIJI: Mom...

YANCHAR: You gotta get out of here!

SEIJI: Hey! Get your hands off her!

YANCHAR: Look out!

YANCHAR: This way!

SEIJI: Change of plans! Everything's fine now! Da Garn, combine and beat the enemies!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:18:48
DAGARN: Combine! Great Da Garn GX!

PEGASUS: Saber Arrow!

BISON: Land Cannon!

DAGARN: GX Buster Vulcan!

0:19:50
SEIJI: Redlone. It's over. Surrender peacefully.

REDLONE: Over, is it?

SOLDIER: Look at that!

REDLONE: Red Geist!

SEIJI: Red Geist?

DAGARN: Great Ballista!

BISON: Land Cannon!

PEGASUS: Saber Arrow!

SEIJI: Got him!

0:20:39
DAGARN: What!?

REDLONE: I will say this once. If you stay on this planet, you have no chance for survival. Submit or die. I will give you time to make your choice.

SEIJI: Gimme a break!

REDLONE: Farewell!

0:21:11
DAGARN: Red Geist...

SEIJI: Where's mom?

MISUZU: Thank you.

YANCHAR: Mother...

SEIJI: YOU JERKWAD! Take this!

MISUZU: Stop this! Brothers shouldn't fight!

MISUZU: You are brothers, aren't you?

SEIJI: This way.

SEIJI: You little snot! Where do you get off touching my mom like that!?

YANCHAR: You really don't get it, do you?

SEIJI: Get what?

YANCHAR: The happiness you have right now!

YANCHAR: You get to live with your mother on your home planet! But if you don't help me out, you're gonna lose it all!

SEIJI: Wait a minute!

YANCHAR: You dumb jerk!

SEIJI: That guy...

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: Oh, that Yanchar guy is gonna GET IT! First he's touchin' my mom, now he's breaking into my house and using my bathroom! Just what does he think he's doing!? Huh? You'll give us information about the enemy? Like I'm gonna believe that!

SEIJI: Next time, on Brave Fighter of Legend Da Garn! Ruins in Peril! I'm the commander... and you can't fool me!

No comments:

Post a Comment