Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Translation: Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn, Episode 43

You don't always expect a kiddy mecha show to have an episode that's all about the protagonist confronting his fear of death, but here it is. The direction in this one is spectacular: from the drawings to the animation to the camera angles to the music to the sound effects to the voice acting to the timing, it all comes together to gut-wrenching effect. Enjoy!

[Opening Theme]
Just as the wind rushes for the sky
I'm gonna take to the air, some day
I know I can, I believe in it
There's a power out there that the grown-ups have lost
And I'm gonna take it back, right now
I think that you can do it, too
Hey, I'm not very strong all by myself, either
But maybe, if we helped each other out...
We can fly! The Earth is our great ship!
Say, "Da Garn, stand tall!"
And head for the light of our endless future


SEIJI: Darn it... what am I supposed to do? I left dad there on Planet Ohboss! Plus, Ohboss is even crazier than I could have imagined... 'I am the universe itself' 'I'm searching for the Power of Legend to alleviate my boredom.' How entitled can you get? We were never going to be able to get through to him!

SEIJI: It's true that whatever gave power to Da Garn out of there could be the light from the legend. But... what good is it!? What's the Power of Legend good for if it can't even save my dad!? What's the point of being a commander protecting the planet!?

0:02:12
TITLE: Your Orders, Commander!

MISUZU: Seiji isn't here?

MAN: See for yourself. Seiji wasn't among the children that the robots' commander brought here.

MISUZU: It couldn't be...

MAN: Which brings us to another matter. The truth is, Colonel Takasugi is...

MISUZU: What's happened to my husband?

HIKARU: Seiji... Seiji, please answer me! Seiji...

BUTCHO: Trying to go against Ohboss was reckless from the start. We should be just celebrating that th' Pest got back safe.

YANCHAR: Seiji's just being a sap! That idiot!

HIKARU: Yanchar...

YANCHAR: Even if it was just a little, the Power of Legend revealed itself! If he's got time to mope around he should be thinking about the Power of Legend!

JUMBO: What is it, Big Lander?

BIG: I thought if I started shouting and making noise like before, the Power of Legend might come out again.

JET: While I appreciate the thought, I don't think it's that easy. Right now...

BIG: We're just waiting for the boss's orders, right? But right now the boss is too worried about his dad, I bet.

SHUTTLE: Yes. I feel badly for the captain, too.

BIG: Yeah, right! So until he's feeling better, we gotta do everything we can! Otherwise what are we gonna say to his dad when he's back? Get out here, Power of Legend!

DAGARN: Seiji... I am truly sorry. It's my fault that we weren't able to save your father.

SEIJI: Da Garn. I'm sorry, but would you mind not talking right now?

DAGARN: Yes, sir.

0:04:34
NEMOTO: The town's evacuation is stalled... my patrol car got stolen again... I must be the unluckiest policeman on the planet.

NEMOTO: Is that it!?

NEMOTO: My patrol car!

HARUO: You're back! Oh, thank goodness! We need to start preparing to evacuate!

TSUKUSHI: But first, why don't we all share a big round of dandelion coffee?

HIKARU: Seiji...

VIOLETCHE: I feel I've been ill-treated by Lord Ohboss lately. Just who does he think I am?

VIOLETCHE: Excuse me! Watch where you're going!

PINKY: Did you see my face?

PINKY: Lord Ohboss took my youth. Because...

VIOLETCHE: He did this to you because his planet was damaged in the last attack?

VIOLETCHE: Very well. There's something I intend to speak to Lord Ohboss about myself. While I'm there, I'll attempt to say a word on your behalf.

PINKY: Do as you wish.

BUTCHO: Hey, Hotaru? You sure you don't wanna run away? We're all gonna be in trouble if Ohboss comes here.

HOTARU: No. Because I believe.

BUTCHO: Believe? I believe in you, Hotaru, but... what do you believe in, Hotaru?

0:06:58
HIKARU: Here you go, eat up. Mom and dad are busy packing, so I whipped up the dinner tonight.

YANCHAR: Woah, this looks good! Right, Seiji? Looks good, right?

HIKARU: Seiji...

YANCHAR: Hey, Seiji! Get your butt back here!

YANCHAR: How long are you gonna mope around like this? Think about Hikaru's feelings for a minute! She's trying to cheer you up, and--

SEIJI: I'm done.

YANCHAR: What?

HIKARU: Seiji...

SEIJI: I said, I'm done!

YANCHAR: Seiji!

HIKARU: Seiji!

MISUZU: That's...

YANCHAR: You stupid...

YANCHAR: Are you just gonna run!? A chosen commander's just gonna run away!?

YANCHAR: If you run away, who's gonna protect the Earth from Ohboss!?

SEIJI: I couldn't protect my dad. From the start, I could never have protected the Earth.

YANCHAR: Seiji... you...

SEIJI: What's the point of Brave Fighters? What's the point of the Power of Legend? What good is it if I can't even protect my dad!? Dammit! Why did they have to choose me to be commander!?

HIKARU: You idiot, Seiji! How dare you think about running away now! What's going to happen to us if you do? What happens to everyone on Earth? What happens to Yanchar, who's going after Ohboss? We all... we all believed in you, you know. And here at the end... for you to betray that... it's terrible!

HIKARU: You've worked so hard all this time! How can you just throw it all out now? How can you just give up!?

SEIJI: Forgive me, Hikaru. It's gotten to be too much for me.

HIKARU: Seiji!

MISUZU: Seiji...

0:09:44
VIOLETCHE: What's going on here? There's no way in. Or did I take the wrong path? But I need to reach Lord Ohboss as quickly as possible...

PINKY: More wrinkles...

PINKY: As long as the battle on this planet continues, my youth will continue to slip away. In that case...

PINKY: Show me the area where Da Garn appears most often.

PINKY: Our target is Midorigahama!

HIKARU: Seiji was afraid... he's afraid to fight Ohboss. But... we were...

YANCHAR: I think you're wrong, there. It's not Ohboss he's afraid of. It's hard to put it into words, but... I think he's experienced the fear of loss.

HIKARU: The fear of loss?

YANCHAR: Anyway, I believe in Seiji. He might be an idiot, but the Earth still chose him to be commander!

HIKARU: Yeah. I believe in him, too.

0:11:28
VIOLETCHE: Ow, ow... where am I now?

OHBOSS: Cyan... Cyan...

VIOLETCHE: That voice... Lord Ohboss!

OHBOSS: You must not destroy Da Garn until the power of legend is revived.

VIOLETCHE: It cannot be... are you saying THAT is Ohboss!? That Lord Ohboss is not the strongest, wisest, most beautiful being in the universe!?

[Eyecatch]

MISUZU: Welcome home!

SEIJI: You're back, mom?

MISUZU: I know I can make curry, at least. Just a minute.

SEIJI: Mom, I'll do it.

MISUZU: There's no reason for a boy to have to make his own dinner.

MISUZU: I can't really explain it, but I want to be a real mother. From now on, I'll make more time to be with you. We'll make dinner together, and I'll help you with your studies... maybe it was having Yanchar around that did it.

SEIJI: Mom...

SHUTTLE: This is Shuttle Saber! I'm reading an enemy's approach! Predicted target, Midorigahama! What should we do, Da Garn?

DAGARN: Until we receive the order, just track the enemy's readings. Understand, everyone? We need to believe in Seiji and wait.

YANCHAR: Shoot, of all the times... move out, Seven Changer!

HIKARU: Yanchar!

SEIJI: Mom...

MISUZU: I know I've been a bad mother. I never realized all you've been through. I've been such a bad mother...

SEIJI: Mom...

MISUZU: Onions always make me cry.

SEIJI: I'm sorry, mom... I couldn't protect dad. I'm the commander of those robots... but I couldn't protect dad at all!

MISUZU: Seiji...

0:14:02
PINKY: Come to me, Da Garn.

SEVEN: I hope I'll do instead!

PINKY: Seven Changer... I'll send you to hell with him.

SEVEN: Bring it on!

YANCHAR: Seiji!

HIKARU: Seiji!

JUMBO: What do we do, Da Garn!?

BIG: Why hasn't the boss contacted us!?

DAGARN: Wait. We must wait for our commander's order!

MISUZU: Seiji. I know that your father is alive. I believe that he is.

SEIJI: Mom...

MISUZU: When I learned that you were the robots' commander, I felt like I had failed you. You've been through so much, haven't you? And I didn't realize any of it... I really am a failure as a mother...

SEIJI: Mom!!

SEIJI: Mom... I'm so scared! After what happened to dad... if I lose to Ohboss... you and Hikaru and Hotaru... I'll lose all of you, just like dad! And I'm just so scared!

MISUZU: I remember the day you were born. You were so small back then. But now, you've gotten so big... you've worked so hard all this time, to protect everyone...

MISUZU: It's okay... it's okay now, Seiji. You've done more than enough. From now on, I'll be the one to protect you, Seiji.

SEIJI: Mom's... trembling.

SEIJI: Dad.

SEIJI: Dad, mom... I...

MISUZU: Seiji?

SEIJI: Mom, I'm going. I feel better after a good cry.

MISUZU: But...

SEIJI: It's fine! Dad would laugh at me if I spend all day blubbering,

HIKARU: Seiji.

SEIJI: Hikaru...

HIKARU: Are you okay?

SEIJI: Yeah, sorry I worried you. I'm fine, now.

MISUZU: Seiji, be careful.

SEIJI: Thanks, mom.

SEIJI: I won't cry anymore! Mom, Hikaru, this town... no, the whole Earth! I'll protect it all! I'll save dad, too! That's my duty as commander!

MISUZU: Seiji...

HIKARU: Seiji...

SEIJI: Come here, Da Garn!

DAGARN: Yes, sir!

0:17:56
SEIJI: Da Garn, I'm sorry I worried you.

DAGARN: Seiji! Your orders!

SEIJI: Okay. Sabers, Landers, protect Midorigahama!

BIG: I was waitin' for that! Let's go, you punks!

JUMBO: We have the captain's order! Let's go!

0:18:22
YANCHAR: Oh no!

PINKY: To hell with you.

DAGARN: I don't think so!

PINKY: What?

YANCHAR: Seiji!

DAGARN: Change! Da Garn! Da Garn Magnum!

YANCHAR: Hey Seiji, you're late! What took ya so long, dummy?

SEIJI: Nothing a crybaby like you can say will bother me!

YANCHAR: I'm gonna make you eat those words!

SEIJI: Look out, Yanchar! Behind you!

SEIJI: Landers! Keep it near the ground!

LANDERS: Got it!

SEIJI: Sabers!

PINKY: You will atone for your sin in defiling my beautiful body...

HIKARU: Seiji will be fine, won't he, ma'am?

MISUZU: Of course he will. He's our son, after all. Darling... please look after Seiji.

BUTCHO: Hotaru! We're frightened!

HOTARU: It's okay. Believe in them.

SEIJI: Everyone! Combine and finish this!

PEGASUS: Combine! Pegasus Saber!

BISON: Combine! Land Bison!

DAGARN: Combine! Great Da Garn GX!

0:20:36
PINKY: I've got you now. My Gaulties contains a bomb powerful enough to destroy half of the Earth.

SEIJI: What!?

PINKY: You can become a part of the crater.

SEIJI: Everyone! Work to contain the explosion!

YANCHAR: Seven Changer!

CYAN: Fool. You will pay for your impudence.

0:21:48
SEIJI: That Cyan guy's got enough power to seal an explosion that powerful?

DAGARN: A formidable enemy, indeed.

SEIJI: What'cha talkin' about, Da Garn? I'm the commander, just believe in me here!

DAGARN: Yes, sir.

SEIJI: Dad... I'm coming to save you.

VIOLETCHE: A reckless act. Did you want your beauty back that badly?

PINKY: Lord Ohboss... why...?

[Ending Theme]
Walking barefoot through the jungle
I flipped a switch
And all the giraffes and pretty girls
Linked arms in a dance routine
All the rules and manners my mother taught me...
Wah ha ha, blown away!
This is a paradise of the heart, not the head
Tomorrow will surely be 'hallelujah!'
So you've got to keep on winning
The sky and the sea are 'papaya!'
And I'll always love you


SEIJI: That Violetche guy's coming to work with us, now! He says he'll show me where my dad is if we take him to Planet Ohboss! I can't say as I trust him, but beggars can't be choosers, here! We're going back there, and this time I'm saving my dad!

SEIJI: Next time on Brave Fighter of Legend, Da Garn! 'Showdown on Planet Ohboss!' I'm the commander, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment